Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding it hard to get engineering work in Perth

Options
  • 24-11-2010 6:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I have recently arrived in Perth. I have had one interview with a consultancy and they seemed to suggest that if I was unsuccessful
    with them that there would be plenty of potential employers. I will here back from them this week.

However I have rang about 30 different consultancies and contractors with very few near favourable responses.

If anybody can offer any advice on finding work down here it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

What sort of visa are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Experience Required

I'm on the WHV so looking for sponsorship. The company I had the interview with said that this wasn't a problem and that I should have no problem finding some companies to do so.They seemed to understand the position I was coming from having advertised in the Irish Times for engineers. Realistically it is the only means for a graduate with limited experience to get to Oz.

The place is meant to be booming at the moment but nobody seems to want to take on people like myself and the place is very expensive when not working!

Thanks for the reply

WHV, limited experience and looking Sponsorship.

How much experience do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Was in the exact same boat myself mate, it's such a killer. You hear so many stories of people landing in a job in the first week but I think the reality is definitely different. I gave up on engineering work and got work as a surveyor as I had worked as a surveyor for a while at home.
    The word on the street is that Leightons have been awarded a massive contract on Gorgon and they will be recruiting in January, so see if you can get in there. Also look to the Irish contractors that are around here. There's a company called CIVMEC who are run by Irish guys and they have a good bit of work on the Desal plant near Bunbury.
    It's hard but keep plugging away, I know I felt like giving up and when I was on the verge of fecking off I got my current job and am stable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

what discipline of engineer are you? you could try get some contract cad work to get your foot in the door or at least get something on the CV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TD1983

I am booking flight for Oz, unsure of where to head, am a civil engineering grad, with limited experience. I really want to get some experience under my belt. Is there work in WA apart from the mines? Any suggestions would be a help. The other guy is an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

its all about being in the right place at the right time, i have a mate who was looking for work for 6 weeks and didnt hear a thing, then over the space of a few days he has 3 offers on the table and is naming his price.

there is huge competition in sydney form what i hear so as a graduate you will struggle. if i was a graduate i would be looking at towns outside the large cities where they may be struggling to attract engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

hey experience required, is TD1983 right? i assume he means electrical engineer?

As a general comment things here get really quiet around christmas. no one really hires from later november until early january.

TD1983 - there is work in perth apart from the mines.

Hey Ugly John
    No I am civil/environmental eng. The other guy travelling with me is an electrician. We are planning on arriving 22 Jan, is this a good time. Any recommendation for central budget accom?
    Is it better to contact companies direct or recruitment agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Things chould have picked up by then. there are plenty of budget hostels in the city. if you turn up at the irish pubs of an evening you'll see plenty of lads in tradies clothes drinking. i'd ask them about work if i were you.

Even though i work out of perth i was recruited from sydney so i dont know a lot about getting a job over here. I'd avoid recruiters generally if you are going for a graduate position. Have you done any online research regarding companies with graduate intakes and when they start? you dont want to turn up a week after the closing date....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Gardner

lads i dunno where ye are looking but there crying out for engineers and quantity surveyors out here!

im here in west oz as a qs and currently based in port hedland. im working with Laing O Rourke and i know for a fact that we are looking for guys, so are mcconnell dowel and downer edi.

forget about work in the city, u need to get outside it because thats where the money is to be made!

Thanks for the advise, my tickets are now booked for the 21st of Jan...hopefully all goes well. Also the guy traveling with me are electricians is there much work available for them....thanks in advance.

Do the companies you mentioned have office in Perth?

Not sure about WA but I know Electricians in the East have to be licensed, this might cause a few issues when job hunting.

Check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056010149

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trig83

Look lads the jobs market in WA is rock solid at the moment but recent graduates with little or no experience are obviously going to find it a bit harder to pick up work. Anyone who's here or is thinking of coming here can send me a PM - I may be able to help ye out.

Advertisement