Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike River Mine (NZ)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Been following this for a few days. Think it became clear early on that we weren't going to have another Chile.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Absolutely heart breaking. Those poor families :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's awful news, their poor families and friends. May they rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

just passed through Greymouth 2 days ago...pretty devestating for the whole area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 WanderingWife

Three more blasts have happened since then and it’s likely all the miners will be entombed. Very sad business indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We observed the two minute silence at work today at 2pm. Was quite moving. It really has affected the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

absolutely heartbreaking. gotta admit, mate of mine is one of their only surveyors, didnt hear from him till i think the sunday after it, thanks to **** he was at a gig in melbourne at the time, but ****, imagine having to deal with 29 of your workmates dead, the rest of your workmates and entire town in head****s, the media leeching around and the added insecurity of your job. it's just **** all round.

not often i cry at the news, and twas the first time in the 3 months ive been in my new place that i've actually sat down and turned the tv on, and twas just to see the news when heard of the second explosion. one of those news things you hear via text/mouth before anyone seems to have seen or heard it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

A mate of mine is an engineer who does a lot of work in the mining sector. Those coal mine fires can burn for years, apparently there's a few around Queensland that have been going for 30 years.

The chances of recovering the bodies are sadly remote, he reckons.

Advertisement