Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunset and nightime HDR - C&C welcome

• 24-11-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

OK so I am bitten by the HDR bug. Managed to have the camera with me last night and got the last 15 mins of Sun in Rogerstown on the way home. Also took a trip to Skerries last night and tried a night time HDR. Well here they are. C&C welcome.

1. Rogerstown Estuary
    5202081815_af63ca57e0_z.jpg

2. Shamrock Boat
    5202655642_1250b0126c_z.jpg

3. South Beach Sunset
    5202656358_9c7c54c61e_z.jpg

4. Skerries Pier
    5202665330_f4901d139d_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Honestly, I think they look really awful, completely overcooked. HDR was originally designed to try and fit into one scene a much higher range of values than would ordinarily be possible. All you've managed to do here is squash whatever tonal variations you have into a sort of muddy halo-y dullness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I wouldn;t go as far as DaireQuinlan and say they are awful. I really like number 4 and i like the idea of number 2, but i just think that you went a bit far on number 2. there are strange patches of light to the right of the boat and the tree line looks too over cooked, if it were toned down a bit i would say that it would be a cracking shot.
    1 and 3, i jsut can't warm to, i'd agree with DaireQuinlan on that, they have been completely over cooked to my eye. I know its easy to let loose on something like that, i did something similar when i started messing around with Topaz filters in photoshop.
    Nice places to go and shoot though by the looks of it, i've ever been around that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its not that bad - in an arty way

but as HDR - it just looks wrong - like Daire says.... HDR is about getting a balance of exposure (a complete tonal range)....so no part of the picture is too bright or too dark.

in your pics the exposure seems be be extreme tones - which is not very pleasing to the eye.....if your images were displayed in a gallery - I'd think it was just a piece of art - wouldnt stand out as HDR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

PCPhoto wrote: »
    its not that bad - in an arty way

but as HDR - it just looks wrong - like Daire says.... HDR is about getting a balance of exposure (a complete tonal range)....so no part of the picture is too bright or too dark.

in your pics the exposure seems be be extreme tones - which is not very pleasing to the eye.....if your images were displayed in a gallery - I'd think it was just a piece of art - wouldnt stand out as HDR.

Thanks Guys, appreciate your views.

On these I was going for the more art / painted picture effect. To me it is the extreme of the standard photo. Guess it is down to taste and everyone has different opinions when it comes to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I like #2. I'm not a big fan of HDR in general but it's OK when it subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

2 isn't bad! It's extremely difficult to hold back with HDR when you first start playing with it. You should see my first efforts - jesus maria! They're like an explosion in a metallic paint factory!

Try taking it off the defaults and bring everything right down to minimal levels and then start bringing them back up. Save everything and come back to it the next day or next week and see how you feel.

HDR is a lovely tool if used correctly (see a lot of AchtungBarry's stuff) but like any tool, can be used too heavy-handedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I think the overcooked look can work in certain situations and on certain subjects.
    I don't like overcooked on landscapes.
    Fair play for putting them up for C&C :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It great to experiment and try things and take criticism well but I'm tempted to post this again.

I think no.2 would work with a tight crop around the boat without the busy background.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

I'd like to see the originals and understand the rationale for HDR versions. If it's just to experiment then cool, but I think they look too surreal to appeal (to me).

For landscapes particularly, I think only subtle HDR works unless the images are destined for use that requires this extreme rendering. I also think that using HDR as a mechanism to recover a technically flawed original is inferior to going back and redoing the shot.

Of course, I do dislike overcooked HDR anyway, so you can take or leave the comments.

Taking HDR out of the equation, I do like the compositions.

Advertisement