Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All your discussion on budget cuts / 4 year plan announcements today goes here.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I think at this point it'd be too expensive for people to holiday in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

sagat2 wrote: »
    If people spend their holidays in Ireland, it will create jobs and boost the economy.

If people spend their money on holidays in Ireland, they are insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

DonJose wrote: »
    Yeah we still have by far one of the lowest corporation taxes in the developed world. Even if we raised it to 15% it would still be half the rate of the UK.

So a half a percent raise would bring in huge revenue, and have zero affect on businesses leaving.

The point about stuggling businesses: have tax brackets, like us poor chumps have.

I'm staggered th eu are happy with this!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Considering the companies that left recently, I don't think so. What companies have actually invested because of the corporation tax I wonder? I don't think its as big a deal as the government makes out, and its importance to them is probably directly related to the amount of publicans and shopkeepers in the party. I'm close to praying that the opposition manage to win a vote of no confidence/vote down this budget.

Any increase in corp tax will cost current & future jobs.

Look at the unemployment queues - anyone made involuntarily redundant in the last few years was from the private sector.

A large portion of them are from foreign companies - increasing the corp tax would guarantee more of the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I doubt they'll make wholesale changes, perhaps a small deduction in the rates, nothing that will bring any change.
    I doubt they would cut it completely myself - that would be madness and create further chaos - but I think they might reduce it - but thats ONLY a guess.
    I've heard nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭spirityboy

Biggins wrote: »
    Any new public sector workers hired are getting 10% less in wages than their already same level (or higher) fellow staff/worker.

but isn't there a freeze on recruitment? so this wont really have any impact until that's lifted

Ginny wrote: »
    I think at this point it'd be too expensive for people to holiday in Ireland.
    A lot of folk wouldn't be able to afford holidays more so now and those that will get them, a good will be working through them probably (like taxi drivers, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

They wont be holidays full stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

danniemcq wrote: »
    well you are losing already 39*52=€2028 a year by losing that one quid an hour and then just when you are down they give you that last wee kick,

yes i know its a small bit of extra tax a year but everyone above min wage is now out 50 quid a month i think was mentioned earlier.
    If I could only explain to you how badly I will be effected by these tax increases you would **** yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

sagat2 wrote: »
    If people spend their holidays in Ireland, it will create jobs and boost the economy.

Who you telling I have not left this place in nearly 10 Years..

• Advertisement

spirityboy wrote: »
    but isn't there a freeze on recruitment? so this wont really have any impact until that's lifted
    You could be right but it seems strange announcement to make that they are reducing new workers pay by 10% if there is a current freeze.
    You could/probably are right - and if you are right, (again) seems a useless announcement from them if so.

A lot of folk wouldn't be able to afford holidays more so now and those that will get them, a good will be working through them probably (like taxi drivers, etc).

Yes, a lot of firms offer time and extra for taking annual leave but working it instead of taking it off. How depressing.:(

danniemcq wrote: »
    yes i know its a small bit of extra tax a year but everyone above min wage is now out 50 quid a month i think was mentioned earlier.

Have i missed this? why are we 50 quid out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

So will the shopping be cheaper now after this budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

davyjose wrote: »
    A half % raise in corporation tax would still make ours the lowest in the EU afaik.

Bulgaria and Cyprus both have a corporate tax rate of 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Dean820 wrote: »
    So will the shopping be cheaper now after this budget?

No. Knock on effect from the Carbon Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Anyone who thinks a general election will change anything is living in cloud cuckoo land. Yes it will give us a chance to get the get the current shower out but the day after the election we will be faced with a similiar four year plan. End off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Have i missed this? why are we 50 quid out?

Everyone earning over the current tax credit threshold will eventually have 3,000 euro more of their yearly wages exposed to 20% tax. (3000 *.2) / 12

Bulgaria and Cyprus both have a corporate tax rate of 10%.
    So we can someday achieve the economic and financial success of Bulgaria and cyprus if we keep it down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The non-cut of public servants wages is a bit of a pill to swallow...

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks a general election will change anything is living in cloud cuckoo land. Yes it will give us a chance to get the get the current shower out but the day after the election we will be faced with a similiar four year plan. End off.

I think all people care about now, is getting the cause of the problem out.

Thinking that, by voting differently, it won't change anything, is lazy thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

The large corporations themselves this week said we do not compete against other EU contries but rather Asian ones with lower wage bills etc. The low corporation tax rate helps to even things out. Think, in the middle of all this vitriol and venom, the large corporations pull out, the indigenous industries that supply them lose the custom and fold, the SME's and service sector, everything right down to the cleaning ladies eventually are affected and lose jobs.
    I sell in a business to business environment (to SMEs) and am happy to take the hit rather than the corporation tax as I know if it was raised I would be out of a job within 6 months. €36 less a week is far better than no wages.
    2006 levels were not that bad, and so long as I can pay my bills and put food on the table I am happy. If that means working 18 hour days like my dad did, being a cleaning lady, whatever it takes to keep going, it wouldn't be easy but it would have to done.
    Nobody forced us to live it up in the boom times, we did not refuse the tax cuts, we did not refuse the increases in allowances, we were not forced to take large mortgages, to run up massive debts, to go a big holidays or to change our cars every year. We made our own decisions and should take some personal responsibility.
    As to who should get the blame, the high ranking civil servants are those who really run the country, and them along with the economic advisors, banks and politicians are to blame. By politicians I also include the opposition as they have not given us a decent alternative for years, and in truth they still seem like lame ducks, no balls, no concrete plans, just lots of shouting with no sure alternative suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ilovesleep wrote: »
    <snip> - Mod removed previous post

What sort of trouble? Injuring other people? Damaging their property? Who are you really going to cause trouble for? After it all, what will you accomplish by acting like a bunch of wild anarchists. Not to mention the fact, that if you damage government property, Garda vehicles etc, who do you think pays for it? The ****ing taxpayer.

Get a damn grip. Violence and "trouble" will not solve a damn thing. Buy a pinchbag if you have to take your anger out on something.

Thinking that by voting differently won't change anything is lazy thinking.

Lazy thinking or maybe facing up to reality!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭spirityboy

You could be right but it seems strange announcement to make that they are reducing new workers pay by 10% if there is a current freeze.
    they may have announced it to make it look like they are doing something to target public sector pay so those in the private sector cant say it's unfair. and by making it on new employees may cover themselves for a possible breach on the Croke Park agreements.

then if someone does mention the recruitment freeze they can say "ah yeah but it will come into effect when the freeze is removed" and at that point Biffo and Co will be out of office and wont give a sh1te

Well if we have to swallow this bitter pill of paying more - by god, the last thing I want, is to be paying it while those **** are still in power, still able to gloat over us from their well furnished offices (we paid for) and rich paid lifestyles - while we all struggle to pay even our basic bills!

Feck that!

I'll continue to cough up (not much choice) but I'd rather do it to new folk that are (hopefully) less to blame for the current mess we are in.
    Its the lesser of two evils.

Lazy thinking or maybe facing up to reality!!!

The reality is, we are facing tough cuts regardless yes but we need to get rid of the cause of the problem, namely Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

So we can someday achieve the economic and financial success of Bulgaria and cyprus if we keep it down?

I have no thoughts on the Bulgarian or Cypriot economy - I'm just saying that we do not have the lowest corporate tax rate in the EU.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The non-cut of public servants wages is a bit of a pill to swallow...

Did they not take big cuts last year in terms of earnings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Thinking that, by voting differently, it won't change anything, is lazy thinking.

It's not the government thats the problem now. That ship sailed long ago. Until the bank debt is separated we're screwed.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    The large corporations themselves this week said we do not compete against other EU contries but rather Asian ones with lower wage bills etc. The low corporation tax rate helps to even things out. Think, in the middle of all this vitriol and venom, the large corporations pull out, the indigenous industries that supply them lose the custom and fold, the SME's and service sector, everything right down to the cleaning ladies eventually are affected and lose jobs.
    I sell in a business to business environment (to SMEs) and am happy to take the hit rather than the corporation tax as I know if it was raised I would be out of a job within 6 months. €36 less a week is far better than no wages.
    2006 levels were not that bad, and so long as I can pay my bills and put food on the table I am happy. If that means working 18 hour days like my dad did, being a cleaning lady, whatever it takes to keep going, it wouldn't be easy but it would have to done.
    Nobody forced us to live it up in the boom times, we did not refuse the tax cuts, we did not refuse the increases in allowances, we were not forced to take large mortgages, to run up massive debts, to go a big holidays or to change our cars every year. We made our own decisions and should take some personal responsibility.
    As to who should get the blame, the high ranking civil servants are those who really run the country, and them along with the economic advisors, banks and politicians are to blame. By politicians I also include the opposition as they have not given us a decent alternative for years, and in truth they still seem like lame ducks, no balls, no concrete plans, just lots of shouting with no sure alternative suggestions.
    Probably one of the most intelligent posts I have seen on any thread. You should run for election cos you would get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Compared to other working people, no

Lenihan backpedaled on that. The higher earners in the public sector received minimal cuts while the low earners were given significant cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Anything in this about the politicians wages and pensions
    The fact that Bertie and others are taking their pension even though they are not of pension age ?

We made our own decisions and should take some personal responsibility.

Who's this 'we' you're talking about? I didn't do any of that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Compared to other working people, no
    Depends on which working people you are talking about there really. As a group, they did take cuts. I don't agree that cutting more wages will help seeing as it affects hard working, lower paid people in the PS badly too.
    It's a matter of improving quality of services and culling dead weight, which I don't have confidence will be achieved.

The biggest gripe I have with all of this is, what do we have to show for all of this spending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If that means working 18 hour days like my dad did, being a cleaning lady, whatever it takes to keep going, it wouldn't be easy but it would have to done.

Your Dad was a cleaning lady?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Not big enough. I have a low opinion of public service. Any experience I have had has been really bad, also I know alot of people who work in public service and hear what their work is like and what their management is like. This would be across 5 different public services in Galway at least. I'm sure there are good eggs in there but if the top earners in there are people who got there from people they know rather than what they know I think they should feel more of a pinch.

They are willing to reduce future public servants pay more but not the current load in there. If they don't give out cuts they seriously need to address the efficency levels and bring in a much more strict annual review process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tonyog

And there you have hit the nail on the head, well said!

Lumen wrote: »
    :eek:

That one versatile dad. :pac:

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Badly worded, my granny was, then my aunt took over her jobs, now my cousin does it. Decent honest work.
    Though my dad could wield a mighty sweeping brush ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Nothing is going to change this country is ****ed no matter who is at the helm as it sinks... I'm glad the lucky ones will get away... as who the **** would want to stay in a country that is taxing the **** out of the workers and having NOTHING to show for it... no infrastructure, **** schools, **** school transport, no public transport, a ****e health service... the list is ENDLESS...

Probably one of the most intelligent posts I have seen on any thread. You should run for election cos you would get my vote.

Thanks :-) But there is no party that I could join, plus I think escapades in my youth would be fodder for tabloids so would defo be ruled out ;-)

Noffles wrote: »
    Nothing is going to change this country is ****ed no matter who is at the helm as it sinks... I'm glad the lucky ones will get away... as who the **** would want to stay in a country that is taxing the **** out of the workers and having NOTHING to show for it... no infrastructure, **** schools, **** school transport, no public transport, a ****e health service... the list is ENDLESS...
    Shush... the government might introduce a tax for every * we post.
    Stop posting them. Its drawing attention to them! ;)

They might kop-on! Yikes! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Noffles wrote: »

Yeah, its terrible we really do live in a 3rd world country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Obaraten wrote: »
    So who is coming to Russia with me?:pac:

Too friggin cold!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bankscrewed

Its not that we are closer to Berlin than Boston anymore, we are now firmly a suburb of Berlin. Who is in government here is irrelevant, a bit like being President, just a figurehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The non-cut of public servants wages is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow...

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Iv been glued to all the news channels all weekend and many of them have been saying something similar. The Irish had a massive party, and heres the hangover.
    I have been working for the last ten years, I drive an 11 year old car, have no loans...no savings either. My boyfriend has a small loan, which we are managing, but he has been out of work on and off for the last 2 years.
    We did not benefit from this boom, and we certainly ARE NOT sticking around for the HANGOVER. Its so frustrating AAAGH

• Advertisement
Advertisement