Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone or Blackberry?

Options
  • 24-11-2010 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Im thinking getting new iphone or blackberry for christmas for myself but dont know which one to get!? any suggestions?

Also need to get an easy to use phone for someone's present any suggestions welcome, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Iphone... I loath Blackberry with a passion. They are sold as email devices and as far as I am concerned they are the least email compatible phone. Certainly for Exchange based email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭legaleagle10

Really? Coz I would need it for work and I thought blacberrys seemed to be more professional looking but if it'd useless for email I can forget about getting one. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Why are you restricting yourself to a choice of two? I wouldn't go for either myself. HTC Desire HD would be my recommendation.

Really? Coz I would need it for work and I thought blacberrys seemed to be more professional looking but if it'd useless for email I can forget about getting one. Thanks for the reply

If you have an exchange server in work, the Blackberry requires you to purchase an enterprise server to link in to that, a cost of a few grand :eek: in order to get it syncing correctly.

o2 provide a website you can use to link up to your exchange server but it is very limited in functionality and they only support syncing inbox and deleted items.

Every other smartphone I can think of can talk directly to an exchange server without all that crap.

Look at the Nokia E series phones. They have the same qwerty keyboards as a Blackberry but have a lot more functionality and talk directly to the exchange server. Obviously you need an IT head who can set it up if its not already done.

This is of course only assuming you use exchange. If you have something else or pop/imap then it will not be such an issue.

I personally use an Iphone 4 for work and connect to exchange. In the past I have used windows phones and Nokia E series and all talk directly to the exchange server, sync everything from email, contacts, calendar, tasks etc and work perfectly.

HTC desire would be a good bet too. The HD version should be out soon if not already.

Now that you've explained blackberry it sounds like a nightnare! Lol I'm not great with working phones so BB sounds a bit complicates for me! Think il stick with iPhone maybe I like the touchscreen thing rather than the buttons, swell though i would only need access to a gmail account it would t be to Microsoft outlook or anything,
    Saruman wrote: »
    If you have an exchange server in work, the Blackberry requires you to purchase an enterprise server to link in to that, a cost of a few grand :eek: in order to get it syncing correctly.

o2 provide a website you can use to link up to your exchange server but it is very limited in functionality and they only support syncing inbox and deleted items.

Every other smartphone I can think of can talk directly to an exchange server without all that crap.

Look at the Nokia E series phones. They have the same qwerty keyboards as a Blackberry but have a lot more functionality and talk directly to the exchange server. Obviously you need an IT head who can set it up if its not already done.

This is of course only assuming you use exchange. If you have something else or pop/imap then it will not be such an issue.

I personally use an Iphone 4 for work and connect to exchange. In the past I have used windows phones and Nokia E series and all talk directly to the exchange server, sync everything from email, contacts, calendar, tasks etc and work perfectly.

HTC desire would be a good bet too. The HD version should be out soon if not already.

• Advertisement

deman wrote: »
    Why are you restricting yourself to a choice of two? I wouldn't go for either myself. HTC Desire HD would be my recommendation.

Dont know? There the only smart phones my mates hav so just figured I get that one, had a look online of HTC they look good but r they easy to use? BB sounds complicated to me wouldn't have a clue how to set it up so I think il forget about that one! Simplicity is what Im after:) th iPhones seem user friendly?

You can't get more user friendly than an Iphone. Gmail will be setup within moments on it. Nice big gmail logo during setup and everything so you can't go wrong.

As far as advanced features go they may be lacking but for user friendliness and the best touchscreen typing experience have have had to date, they can't be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Dont know? There the only smart phones my mates hav so just figured I get that one, had a look online of HTC they look good but r they easy to use? BB sounds complicated to me wouldn't have a clue how to set it up so I think il forget about that one! Simplicity is what Im after:) th iPhones seem user friendly?

Dead easy to use. I haven't looked at the manual since I looked how to insert the SIM Card and battery. Everything is user-friendly and lightning fast due to the high processor speed. The HD version is available now in Finland but I don't know about Ireland yet. I have the non-HD Desire which I just love. The Market application is amazing where you can find widgets and other applications to download and install. It's all very simple. I have 2 gmail accounts and 2 exchange server email accounts that can be set up and accessed immediately. Automatic syncing with Google Calendar and Contacts is one of my favourite features. No more lost data :)

Have a read at this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056089158

Advertisement