Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage payment & MIS

Options
  • 24-11-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi There
    I am currently working for a company however I am due to get redundancy soon. I will then be in receipt of Social Welfare.
    I currently own a house with my ex. We have since split up and I have been living in the house for a year now. My name is on the deeds and both our names are on the mortgage. The house is in negative equity of approx 90 thousand euro so we cannot sell it and for both of us to move out rent would not cover the whole mortgage. We currently pay 1400 euro's mortgage monthly between the 2 of us. There is a girl renting a room in my house. That money comes off his side of the mortgage. I pay 700 and he pays the balance. It was the only way we could afford for him to move out. The split was amicable and we both want whats best for each other.
    I plan to move back to my family home next month as I will not be able to afford my half of the mortgage at that stage on social welfare. My ex is renting an apartment currently and plans on moving back into the house when I move out. He will have 2 lads renting and partially supplementing my side of the mortgage. I will have to pay approx 180 euros monthly for my side of the mortgage.
    We also pay 80 euro estate maintenance fee monthly. I have been responsible for this for a year so he is taking it on going forward. I am going back to college so he wants to take the bulk of the mortgage off me. The mortgage has always come out of my account as he gave me cash in hand. We have only now rectified this which is about time.
    If I move home do I still qualify for Mortgage Interest Supplement or what support will I be able to get to help pay my mortgage if the lads renting move out? Do my entitlements remain the same even if I don't live in the house as I am paying the mortgage?
    My ex is in receipt of Social Welfare and is on part time reduced hours. He fears it will be taken away.
    Do we have to be means tested as a couple for MIS even though we are no longer together? Can I be assessed independently?
    We are not in any arrears.
    My ex has employed a Solicitor to see if she can liaise with the building society to see if anything can be done as it is not really our finances that have changed. It is our situation that is the problem. If I could take my share of the negative equity with me I would and put it on to a small mortgage but I don't think the banks are allowing that.

Any advice greatly welcomed!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

As far as i know if you won't be living there you won't be entitled to mortgage interest supplemrnt.

Best to call citizens advice 1890777121 they should be able to tell you for sure.

Advertisement