Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating furniture - HELP

• 24-11-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Our 5yr old female Beagle has taken a liking to our kitchen chairs, well 3 chairs to be exact.

She is not left on her own for long, at most 5hrs. In that time she has plenty of space to move around in the kitchen, kong left for her, chewy bone and another toy (she doesnt play though) but yet is still chewing on our chairs.

I tried clove oil, didnt work. I then got a spray called anti-chew, since using that she only seems to be biting into the wood instead of actually biting off bits of the wood (that could change though)

She is walked as much as we can, it varies. But when she does be let out to the back garden for a run around and play which she loves. We cant keep having our furniture eaten so was wondering does anyone have any suggestions?????? Our only other option is to get a kennel and put her out the back. My other half wants to leave a bit of wood for her to chew on but I dont think it would work or is a good idea.

We are taking her to the vets this week to get her nails clipped so wondering is there anything he can suggested. She is a rescued dog. Sorry for the long post but just wanted to give as much info as I can

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Beagles are huge pack dogs and 5 hours is a very long time for a beagle to left on its own. Have you just got this dog or has it just suddenly started chewing? This sounds like a habit that needs to be broken. I'd give the dog a stuffed frozen kong to work on when your not there, and keep her out of the kitchen when she can't be supervised. I'd also look into providing some sort of company for her while your not at home. You say you walk her as much as you can, how much is this on a daily basis? Beagles are bred to follow horses on a hunt for half a day which I've never seen one struggle with. Your dog needs a minimum of 3 hours exercise a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I second what Adrenaline says. These dogs need a huge amount of exercise to tire them out as they are bred to hunt so need to be worked a lot and kept entertained.

Would you try cycling with the dog? This will help to tire it out. This dog needs to be walked everyday and more than once too. This behaviour is boredom so unless you address that, you will continue with the problem.

For the moment you can get better stuff to stop the chewing to put on the furniture. If you can get yourself to a horse tack shop, they sell stuff called "Crib Box" or "Crib Halt", its brilliant stuff and i can guarantee your dog will not put their mouth near it. Just remember to use gloves when putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

adrenalinjunkie - we have had the dog about 3 months now and it is only lately she has started chewing the furniture. Apart from the back garden the kitchen is the only other place I can leave her. Getting her company is not an option.

andreac - never heard of crib box/halt. will it stain the furniture?? will it stink the house out?? I didnt mind the smell of the clove all over the house but if its a bad smell I defo could not handle it.

Alot of people have said it to us about Beagles being very energetic etc but ours isnt at all. Nor has she been since before we got her, shes very quiet and lazy. Sleeps for most of the time (apart from when shes eating or looking for something) Even when she has been taken on long walks she does still be bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Tea tree oil on the wood works a treat. Also suggest leaving a frozen treat.....marrow bone or bone/king filled with tuna....give frozen and leave radio on a talking station.

......on my third rescue LAZY beagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Tea tree oil on the wood works a treat. Also suggest leaving a frozen treat.....marrow bone or bone/king filled with tuna....give frozen and leave radio on a talking station.

......on my third rescue LAZY beagle.

Never would have thought of frozen tuna, thanks for that. Normally she get little biscuits and peanut butter, takes her ages to get it all out. We always leave the radio on in the kitchen, except for nightime as she is in her crate then.

Im also delighted to hear im not the only person with a lazy dog. Yes she gets all excited about going to a walk but when were out shes wrecked after about 30/45mins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement