Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigs in Garden shed

Options
  • 24-11-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Dunno where to post this really so I'll just try here. Thinking of getting a couple of piglets to fatten and before anyone says anything, I am aware of all the difficulties involved. My question is would a timber garden shed be suitable to keep them in?. I have loads of space for them to root in to be enclosed with electric fence. Can't afford to build a proper shed at the moment so garden shed could be my alternative. Anyone see any problems with this? I would intend insulating the shed as we are living in a very exposed area. We already have some hens and they are producing nicely thank you. Any wisdom appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It should be no problem, pigs are pretty hardy and will live almost anywhere with a little comfort.
    If you are getting them for free ranging you will be best off with somthing like Saddlebacks or Gloucester old spots, the rare breeds tend to be a lot hardier than the landrace type.
    I keep mine in a plastic lamb hutch.
    Get a few bales of straw/hay and they will be cosy out till their time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

It's not as difficult a people think.

But if you want to do it legit (unless you are willing to kill them yourself!)
    you will need a herd number from the department :
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/

It is not that hard to get one, a vet will visit and inspect
    to see if housing and fencing etc. is ok.

I would think that with a garden shed they would soon eat it!

Here is a good article on pig keeping and cost etc on GIY Ireland :
    http://www.giyireland.com/article/95/pigs

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Cheers y'all. I should mention that in a former life I was a butcher, a proper butcher with all that entails if you get what I mean. Not a plastic bag butcher which is the most common type lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What I have seen used is one of the very large 1000 litre fish bins with a hole cut in the side for the pigs.
    This was flipped over and used as a hutch, already insulated so all they needed was a little straw to keep them snug inside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement