Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dick Roche - Mayor of Amity

• 24-11-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Can anyone remember the film Jaws?

There is a killer shark roaming on the beaches of the small town of Amity. The local mayor telling everyone that everything is fine while his opposite number Hopper, the local police chief is urging a ban on anyone entering the water.

Then is the Mayer of Amity, comes on TV telling everyone "the beaches are safe, it's a beautiful day here in Amity" (a la Dick Roche,"your deposits are safe" Prime Time, 23/11/2010)

Meanwhile, Hooper is prudently telling everyone "stay out of the water,stay out of the water" (a la El-Rian on Bloomberg)

The parallels are uncanny.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

So are you saying we should withdraw our money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No, he's saying we're gonna need a bigger boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

In conclusion; we should insert a gas cannister into Dick Roche's mouth, and shoot from a safe distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I guess Paul Somerville or David McWilliams are Cheif Brody...? The Irish people are the chick that gets chewed up and spat out on the beach at the start of the film? Who'd play Quint? The rest of Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I say a bigger boat, can we write it off into NAMA or the IMF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Cowen as Quint, the drunken shark obsessed maverick....

I'll catch this economy for three thousand, but I'll catch it, and kill it, for ten.

Well, the way I see it, Europe thinks it can come in a save the situation, but ends up getting chewed up by the Irish disaster, which, if the analogy sticks, is the shark. I dunno. This metaphor is weird.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Well, the way I see it, Europe thinks it can come in a save the situation, but ends up getting chewed up by the Irish disaster, which, if the analogy sticks, is the shark. I dunno. This metaphor is weird.

And at some point in the future whoever saves us from the economy is going to live on a submarine with a talking dolphin.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    And at some point in the future whoever saves us from the economy is going to live on a submarine with a talking dolphin.
    Well that's very likely, cause Ireland is sunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I guess Paul Somerville or David McWilliams are Cheif Brody...?

Yes (and with megaphones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dicky the douchebag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Crosáidí wrote: »
    So are you saying we should withdraw our money

yep, the loan sharks are on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jetsonx wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the film Jaws?

There is a killer shark roaming on the beaches of the small town of Amity.

That wasn't Jaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Dick by name Dick by nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I guess Paul Somerville or David McWilliams are Cheif Brody...? The Irish people are the chick that gets chewed up and spat out on the beach at the start of the film? Who'd play Quint? The rest of Europe?

Sommerville, McWilliams, Lucey etc aren't saying people should withdraw their money from the banks, though.
    That would actually scupper any chance of what they actually wish to happen; have a team of experts draw up an alternative proposal to the route being followed by our govt.
    They just wish to, as far as now possible, separate the sovereign debt from bank debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Wasnt it Batt O'Keeffe on Prime Time, not Dick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

. . . Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces.

Replace the word "shark" with "Dick Roche" in the paragraph above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

duuh duh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Wasnt it Batt O'Keeffe on Prime Time, not Dick?

Batty O'Keeffe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Enda Kenny's voice will be the equivalent of the fella scraping his fingernails down the blackboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Enda Kenny's voice will be the equivalent of the fella scraping his fingernails down the blackboard

Surely thats Joan Burton?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Batt O'Keefe, Dermot Ahern and Noel Dempsey are the fellas who go fishing with the dynamite.

Ollie Rhen is the Richard Dreyfus's Fish doctor character.

The yellow barrels are the four year plan and the budget.

Anglo is the boy on the yellow li-lo that gets eated by the shark. (incidentally why did the Irish language require a word for shark, siorc?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Batt O'Keefe, Dermot Ahern and Noel Dempsey are the fellas who go fishing with the dynamite.

Anglo is the boy on the yellow li-lo that get eated by the shark. (incidintally why did the Irish language require a word for shark, siorc?)

Orlando ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

But Quint could actually pilot the ship (OF STATE) and was competent. Also he gave a deadly speech.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    But Quint could actually pilot the ship (OF STATE) and was competent. Also he gave a deadly speech.

He did get ****faced and sing a song.

Orlando ?

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'll catch this economy for three thousand, but I'll catch it, and kill it, for ten.

Nice offer Quint but I think FF already killed it for free.

(when the hell are they gonna release Jaw on BD :mad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Anglo is the boy on the yellow li-lo that gets eated by the shark. (incidentally why did the Irish language require a word for shark, siorc?)

Brilliant!

• Advertisement
Advertisement