Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Animated 5-day Forecasts

Options
  • 24-11-2010 12:56pm
    Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep

Met Éireann are pleased to announce two new web-based animated forecasts, the 5 Day Atlantic Forecasts and the 5 Day Irish Forecasts, now available at www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-atlantic.asp and www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp. They are designed to clearly illustrate the changing patterns that are expected in the 5 days ahead.

These forecasts are derived from the Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) computer models of the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF). Generally, they are used in Met Eireann as forecaster guidance in conjunction with a whole suite of other information from satellite, radar and weather observations, in addition to the application of the forecaster’s own experience.

Therefore the text forecast may on occasion differ from the animated charts. They should therefore always be used in conjunction with the radar and text forecast.

To use the charts, click on the ‘tab’ at the top of the chart which is of interest. In the Atlantic Charts, it may be Pressure; Rainfall; Temperature; Wind or Cloud, while for the Irish forecasts the choice is restricted to Rainfall, Temperature or Wind. Pressure and Cloud were omitted from the Irish map due to the resolution being too poor to be suitable.

Then either using the slider at the bottom of the picture, or simply moving the screen pointer across the picture, an animated display will become apparent of the forecast for 5 days ahead.

The model will be updated twice daily at approximately 100hrs and 2200hrs, although this time is approximate.

The ECMWF data used is be generated especially for this application and is at 0.5 deg resolution. These charts have been developed by Met Eireann in conjunction with our web partners Fusio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

That is sweet!

One query with regard temperature scale.
    The scale is in increments of 2C except between -4C and -8C.

Is there an error?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Well done to whoever in Met Eireann took the time and effort to set that up,good job:).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

That's a good addition, thanks.

Any chance you could also put up the 850hpa temperature aswell? I know the Iceland Meteorlogical website does that. It's very useful.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Brilliant Job, finally we have one of our own :)....

Good timing too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Excellent stuff. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

That is like, so kueeawl. Great to have Irish based charts at last! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I agree with darkman the 850hpa temps would be a great addition and really put the icing on the cake.

Good job by the way ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Excellent stuff. One government/semistate website that I must say does its job extremely well for the most part - breaking the mould in that respect! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Great addition to the website...Will really enjoy checking those out every morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

How do you find the 5 day atlantic forecast when you're actually browsing in the site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

How do you find the 5 day atlantic forecast when you're actually browsing in the site?

on the left menu bar .. Click on Forecasts ... 5 Day Forecast, then the link "atlantic forecast" is in the top right corner

Rougies wrote: »
    on the left menu bar .. Click on Forecasts ... 5 Day Forecast, then the link "atlantic forecast" is in the top right corner

It brings me to the 3 hour forecast when i click it :confused:

It brings me to the 3 hour forecast when i click it :confused:

Weird. Try clearing your browser cache and restarting it.

MetEireann wrote: »
    Met Éireann are pleased to announce two new web-based animated forecasts, the 5 Day Atlantic Forecasts and the 5 Day Irish Forecasts, now available at www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-atlantic.asp and www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp. They are designed to clearly illustrate the changing patterns that are expected in the 5 days ahead.

These forecasts are derived from the Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) computer models of the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF). Generally, they are used in Met Eireann as forecaster guidance in conjunction with a whole suite of other information from satellite, radar and weather observations, in addition to the application of the forecaster’s own experience.

Therefore the text forecast may on occasion differ from the animated charts. They should therefore always be used in conjunction with the radar and text forecast.

To use the charts, click on the ‘tab’ at the top of the chart which is of interest. In the Atlantic Charts, it may be Pressure; Rainfall; Temperature; Wind or Cloud, while for the Irish forecasts the choice is restricted to Rainfall, Temperature or Wind. Pressure and Cloud were omitted from the Irish map due to the resolution being too poor to be suitable.

Then either using the slider at the bottom of the picture, or simply moving the screen pointer across the picture, an animated display will become apparent of the forecast for 5 days ahead.

The model will be updated twice daily at approximately 100hrs and 2200hrs, although this time is approximate.

The ECMWF data used is be generated especially for this application and is at 0.5 deg resolution. These charts have been developed by Met Eireann in conjunction with our web partners Fusio.

Nice one. One comment I'd make would be if you could change it from 12am to 00:00 and from 12pm to 12:00 etc. Reason being that anytime I've done a report in work that has used am and pm for 12, people get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Excellent work - many thanks.

One slight quibble - the colours used to indicate temperature between 2 and -4 can be hard to distinguish from each other (0 and -4 and 2 and -2 in particular look very similar on my monitor). Would it be possible to change this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Excellent addition to the website.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Great Work! A very useful addition to the website!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

i see they have ditched the cloud cover tab already.

Anyone know which models they are basing this off - HIRLAM?

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Wolfe:
    These forecasts are derived from the Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) computer models of the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Brilliant!! My favourite bit is sunday a.m. showing -8 for a lot of the country!!D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

WolfeIRE wrote: »

The OP details the models used...
    I never saw cloud included with the Irish animation, only with the atlantic animation and it's still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

TJM wrote: »
    Excellent work - many thanks.

One slight quibble - the colours used to indicate temperature between 2 and -4 can be hard to distinguish from each other (0 and -4 and 2 and -2 in particular look very similar on my monitor). Would it be possible to change this ?

I agree.

It is hard to make out temperatures differences with the present colours, some of the colours are just slight variations of the one colour and there is a lot of blue variants...

However the new features is well appreciated and thanks for the improvements.

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback.

We've adjusted the temperature colour codes to make it a little clearer and we will alter the clock sequence to a 24-hr clock rather than am/pm.

Regarding the 850mbar temps, we will see if we can get the required permissions to include those also, although the resolution will be a grainier 1.5 degrees.

There have been some queries regarding usage or embedding the charts on other websites. Unfortunately, under the terms of our license this is strictly forbidden.

Regards
    Met Eireann Customer Service

I still find it impossible to tell what temps it's showing, Maybe it's just me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

Excellent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

MetEireann wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback.

We've adjusted the temperature colour codes to make it a little clearer and we will alter the clock sequence to a 24-hr clock rather than am/pm.

Regarding the 850mbar temps, we will see if we can get the required permissions to include those also, although the resolution will be a grainier 1.5 degrees.

There have been some queries regarding usage or embedding the charts on other websites. Unfortunately, under the terms of our license this is strictly forbidden.

Regards
    Met Eireann Customer Service

Just one thing - there are now two temperature scales, the original and one in the image itself. The only difference is their orientation.

I think one's plenty! ;) I'd remove the inner one as its colour shades change depending on the chart behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

And the Atlantic charts only show Ireland!

Su Campu wrote: »
    And the Atlantic charts only show Ireland!

Good it's not just me then.

The link at the start of this thread works ok but when you click the link for the 5 day atlantic chart while viewing the 5 day Ireland charts on the website itself then it just links to the 3 hour rainfall chart instead :confused:

Good it's not just me then.

The link at the start of this thread works ok but when you click the link for the 5 day atlantic chart while viewing the 5 day Ireland charts on the website itself then it just links to the 3 hour rainfall chart instead :confused:

That link still works fine for everybody (except you for some reason, strange). Su Campu's referring to when you're in the 5 day atlantic, the temps charts show the Ireland map instead of Europe. I'm sure they'll get this sorted soon ! (hopefully along with readable temp colours and maybe even 850 charts ;))

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    That link still works fine for everybody (except you for some reason, strange). Su Campu's referring to when you're in the 5 day atlantic, the temps charts show the Ireland map instead of Europe. I'm sure they'll get this sorted soon ! (hopefully along with readable temp colours and maybe even 850 charts ;))

The link on this thread works fine, go through the website and it doesn't. This is the second PC i've tried.

Advertisement