Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai called as meeting erupts in fury over flag

• 24-11-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

I don't think this has been posted yet,

Gardai called as meeting erupts in fury over flag

GARDAI had to be called to a meeting of Roscommon County Council after a furious row erupted over the disastrous state of the economy.

As the row boiled over, one councillor stormed from the chamber and erected a black flag alongside the tricolour to symbolise "the death of the nation".

At the start of the monthly meeting at the courthouse and council offices in Roscommon town, Mayor of Co Roscommon Cllr Luke Ming Flanagan proposed the national flag be flown at half mast.

The flag flies alone over the building and Cllr Flanagan suggested it be lowered to half mast as it would "signify that the country is falling apart".

Sinn Fein Cllr Michael Mulligan seconded the proposal and then suggested that a black flag be flown alongside the tricolour. Cllr Mulligan urged that this would be more appropriate because of what he termed "the death of a nation by that crowd of rotten, filthy, corrupt crowd of Fianna Failers.

"They are worse than the blinking Mafia. We need new policies to get us out of this mess.

"The black flag is appropriate. This is a black day for our country. They have sold us out."

Cllr Mulligan stormed out of the chamber as Fianna Fail Cllr Paschal Fitzmaurice attempted to table a counter-proposal, urging that the national flag not be touched. A war of words then erupted between Cllr Fitzmaurice and Mayor Flanagan.

Fine Gael Cllr John Keogh said the proposal in respect of the tricolour was "an absolute disgrace", while the suggestion that a black flag be flown "desecrates the symbol of our nationhood".

By now Cllr Mulligan had erected a black flag alongside the tricolour. When he returned to the chamber the row became even more heated with insults traded across the floor.

Order was restored when four gardai, led by local Supt Paul Glynn, entered the chamber after apparently being alerted by a Fianna Fail member of the council.

Cllr Fitzmaurice made his way out of the building to where the black flag was flying and cut the drawstring, thereby lowering the flag.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-called-as-meeting-erupts-in-fury-over-flag-2433075.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Politicans in Pointless Grandstanding Shocker!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

celticbest wrote: »
    Mayor of Co Roscommon Cllr Luke Ming Flanagan

That's yer man that is mad for the doobies to be legalised innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Was there drink involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It was a county council meeting so yes, most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

these are the people we expect to run our country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes. That's what we need to help the country. Symbols of it's death.

Instead of wasting time with this bull****, he should have been working. He's on a government salary isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Where did they get a black flag so quickly and easily?

Typical though, country is falling apart and these people start focusing on what flag to put up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Useless county councillors, never mind prick acting about with flags, get to work ye stupid *****. The countries not ****ed or dead, but it will be if ye do nothing but do stupid **** like this for media attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They need gallows more than flag-poles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

orourkeda wrote: »

:eek: Is that what they were up to before the meeting??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Unpossible wrote: »
    Where did they get a black flag so quickly and easily?

raided mary harney's lingerie drawer most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Black. Not brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Newsflash, Ming in pointless tantrum, continues line of pointless attention seeking tantrums. Public status remains unchanged, unimportant, unloved, ignored and irrelevant.

A bitchfest over a flag, yeah, that'll solve all out troubles :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Black. Not brown.

And red...

From the paint attack? You dirty people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah its Ming, all is explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

that sounds like a really fun meeting

ming should have just passed the doobie to the left hand side as per smoking etiquette - might have avoided these ugly scenes...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

More to the point why were four Guards needed at the scene of a 'heated debate' in the council chamber? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

celticbest wrote: »
    Sinn Fein Cllr Michael Mulligan seconded the proposal and then suggested that a black flag be flown alongside the tricolour. Cllr Mulligan urged that this would be more appropriate because of what he termed "the death of a nation by that crowd of rotten, filthy, corrupt crowd of Fianna Failers.

"They are worse than the blinking Mafia."

Shinners accusing others of being worse than the Mafia. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

marco_polo wrote: »
    More to the point why were four Guards needed at the scene of a 'heated debate' in the council chamber? :confused:

they werent needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Those Ming bashers would do well to re read the article. He just proposed flying the tricolour at half mast. It was the shinner who threw his toys out of the pram.

From what I've heard Ming is a popular and respected elected official, and he is less about the doob. He also doesn't take part in parish pump politics and I'm paraphrasing here but he doesn't look for votes "because I remembered your birthday, or went to your mams funeral"

I'd vote for him if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Is Flash Gordon a FF'er?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Black. Not brown.

Yellow to the front, brown to the back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Black Flag, eh? I'd be happy if Henry Rollins was trying to sort out the economy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

How about another mass father??

Those Ming bashers would do well to re read the article. He just proposed flying the tricolour at half mast. It was the shinner who threw his toys out of the pram.

From what I've heard Ming is a popular and respected elected official, and he is less about the doob. He also doesn't take part in parish pump politics and I'm paraphrasing here but he doesn't look for votes "because I remembered your birthday, or went to your mams funeral"

I'd vote for him if I could.

i actually like ming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

i actually like ming!
    The one from Roscommon or the merciless one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Roscommon eh? I wonder what bridie greene made of it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Country ****ed eh? I know lets argue about a piece of cloth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

df1985 wrote: »
    Roscommon eh? I wonder what bridie greene made of it all!

All the flags had to be taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Despite his fondness for some drugs Ming is not a fan of alcohol. So no I wouldnt say so.

Advertisement