Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor covers "Heroes"

Options
  • 24-11-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Who in the name of God gave the thumbs up for arguably David Bowie's greatest song, to be assassinated by the X Factor contestants?!

I dont care that its for charity, some things are sacred and should never be touched, especially by One Direction and Co.

Ggggrrrrrr!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

poundhound wrote: »
    Who in the name of God gave the thumbs up for arguably David Bowie's greatest song, to be assassinated by the X Factor contestants?!

I dont care that its for charity, some things are sacred and should never be touched, especially by One Direction and Co.

Ggggrrrrrr!!!!!

Sadly it wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened, nor will it be the last.

I suggest you get used to....and vote for Wagner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

They should done a medley of "Heroes" and "I'm Afraid of Americans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It seems that unless the X Factor is tacked onto something, people can't use their own brains to find out what's going on in the world. Disgraceful stuff.
    Yes people. Keep voting on the phone to line Simon Cowell's pockets....
    If a UK channel came out to highlight the plight of soldiers, most teenagers wouldn't pay any notice. It seems that it needs some reality tv bullsh*t tacked onto it, or X Factor to get involved to make it legit....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

I am peeved about this too :mad::mad::mad: I doubt any of the contestants or the moguls have a clue about the origins of the song. They chopped most of the verses out also. Can you imagine what Cowell would actually say if Bowie was a contestant and came out singing it the way he does on the record? He'd be out on his ear.
    Last year Jedward mauled Under Pressure. Bowie was never mentioned once (and I was actually happy about that - just as he wasn't mentioned this year). It seemingly was a Queen & Vanilla Ice composition...
    Actually the version Jedward recorded was quite like the RAH mix found on the Queen GH3 CD.
    I hope a generation doesn't grow up thinking this X Factor cover of "heroes" is the original. Poor sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

After Hallelujah nothing will surprise me. How appropriate did they think it was for all the 10 yr old XFactor fans singing along to a song about sex. Although I suppose Hallelujah had been murdered so often already it didn't seem so bad.

I haven't heard their version of Heroes yet. God I just can't imagine.........

Maybe it will encourage them all to want to see the film Christian F - very XFactor feel to that film;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Taz86 wrote: »
    I hope a generation doesn't grow up thinking this X Factor cover of "heroes" is the original. Poor sods.

Good god, surely not! I have noticed that sometimes after an X Factor wannabe sings/murders a song on the show, it pops up in the charts the week after in all its original glory. I suppose that's mildly positive eh?

Reminds me of my uber-trendy little cousin's comment when Ironman came out: "Hey have you heard of this cool new band, they're called AC/DC".....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Will the video be something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVYDG2oSdlY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

wow sierra wrote: »
    After Hallelujah nothing will surprise me. How appropriate did they think it was for all the 10 yr old XFactor fans singing along to a song about sex. Although I suppose Hallelujah had been murdered so often already it didn't seem so bad.

I haven't heard their version of Heroes yet. God I just can't imagine.........

Maybe it will encourage them all to want to see the film Christian F - very XFactor feel to that film;);)

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This show is a blight on the world.

Anyway here is a good cover version of Heroes (german version).

Apocalyptica Feat. Till Lindemann

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Taz86 wrote: »
    I doubt any of the contestants or the moguls have a clue about the origins of the song. They chopped most of the verses out also. [...]

They've cut out all the irony of Bowie's original. But so what? They've turned it into a jingoistic anthem. But again, so what?

Bowie himself is prone to bowdlerizing other peoples music, least of all his own. He ruined Iggy Pop's version of Tonight (which Bowie incidentally wrote) by dropping the opening verse, thereby completely changing the meaning of the song.

I don't see what is so wrong about somebody covering "Heroes" again. It's easily Bowie's most covered song and it lines Bowie's retirement pockets. It also exposes Bowie (like he really needs it?) to a younger audience. Surely this is a win win situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What are people's thoughts on Aphex's Philip Glass remix?

It's just so odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I don't know,they murdered a quality song,but as some one pointed out it will make younger people more aware of Bowie.

3 of the younger people in work had never heard Bowie's version now 2 of them have bought Bowie albums!

Anad anyways,I think Oasis' version was better :eek:

Advertisement