Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wondering about so called racist incidents?

• 24-11-2010 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I wonder how many so called racist incidents have nothing whatsoever to do with racism? I was in a "close encounter" with a foreign national today who wanted me to step onto the road so he could continue cycling on the footpath. Now before he opened his mouth I had no idea he was not Irish so my problem with him could not have been because of his nationality.
    Two weeks ago my son was struck on the arm by a foreign national cycling on a footpath, despite the cycle lane on the adjacent road. Some months ago I sounded my car horn as a foreign national drove onto a roundabout narrowly missing me. He then jumped out of the car and made a run at me before turning and going back to his car and opening the boot - I didn't wait around to see what he had in the boot. These are just some personal examples and I have heard others. So, how many conversations go on the lines of these people being asked civilly ( can only speak for myself) and then the conversations are translated into racist remarks when the foreign national is recounting their side of the story? If the foreign guy at the roundabout got clattered around for getting thick would that have been classed as a racist attack?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Aren't you presuming that they go off and recount the incident as racist...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Thank this post if you regularly have sexual fantasies about young children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you're allowed to shoot people who cycle on the footpath you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

you sound more like a cyclist-ist than a racist tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

=Some months ago I sounded my car horn as a foreign national drove onto a roundabout narrowly missing me. He then jumped out of the car and made a run at me before turning and going back to his car and opening the boot - I didn't wait around to see what he had in the boot.
    Ah he was only being friendly,he was going to offer you some swan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

you're allowed to shoot people who cycle on the footpath you know

I wish I'd known that before now.

I could have avoided trying to run them over on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Nodin wrote: »
    Aren't you presuming that they go off and recount the incident as racist...?

No - I wrote that I was wondering... mainly because I haven't witnessed a racist incident and yet have read/heard on news etc. that there is a racist problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

They see me rollin'
    They hatin'
    Patrollin'
    they tryin' to catch me Wicklowridin. dirty.
    Tryin' to catch me Wicklowridin' dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

orourkeda wrote: »
    I wish I'd known that before now.

I could have avoided trying to run them over.

yeah, its a pain having to hose the car off after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

DEY TUK ER PAVEMENTS

• Advertisement

you sound more like a cyclist-ist than a racist tbh
    You didn't read my username did you? :D
    They see me rollin'
    They hatin'
    Patrollin'
    they tryin' to catch me Wicklowridin. dirty.

I have no idea what this means but it will be playing in my head all day now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No - I wrote that I was wondering... mainly because I haven't witnessed a racist incident and yet have read/heard on news etc. that there is a racist problem.

It depends on whether a racing bike was involved.

....so they're all making it up then...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I blame the foreigners..... there was no racism in Ireland until they came along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

It's been some time since we last had a thread about racism / foreigners - I commend you OP. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People who cycle at speed on footpaths and across pedestrian bridges are assholes regardless of nationality.

Why do you presume that someone goes off and says you're a racist because they got in an argument with you in traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

I've also had a few annoying scrapes with foreign nationals (pedestrians, drivers, cyclists etc), then again, I've also had has many similar scrapes with Irish people. I don't believe that foreign nationals, of whatever nationality, are any more or less likely to be considerate of others on the road.

If people do, as you believe, play the race card then that's their problem and they suck as individuals. What equally sucks is that some people will believe whatever load of horse**** is told to them by foreign nationals who cry racism at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

Every bit of path we have is covered.
    There isnt even an inch now to walk on.
    All the cyclists had to be taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

OP is dead right. sure isn't it a great excuse pleading you've been racially abused, discriminated against etc.

just watch how quickly this simple point is torn apart by some to see how if you were in a position of authority you'd be forced to accept it without question for fear of being labeled a racist.

OP is dead right. sure isn't it a great excuse pleading you've been racially abused, discriminated against etc.

just watch how quickly this simple point is torn apart by some to see how if you were in a position of authority you'd be forced to accept it without question for fear of being labeled a racist.

...it's torn apart because they're talking shite, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Saadyst wrote: »
    It's been some time since we last had a thread about racism / foreigners - I commend you OP. ;)

Its almost a novelty after all the economy threads. :D

...it's torn apart because they're talking shite, tbh.

are you suggesting that pleading you were racially abused, disciminated against etc is not as prevalent an excuse for foreign nationals as 'the defendent consumed 15 pints' is for a lad from cavan?

are you suggesting that pleading you were racially abused, disciminated against etc is not as prevalent an excuse for foreign nationals as 'the defendent consumed 15 pints' is for a lad from cavan?

I am.

I'd also suggest that somebody who put "nigerians" as one of the great disasters to befall this country really should quit while they were ahead.

I am.

I'd also suggest that somebody who put "nigerians" as one of the great disasters to befall this country really should quit while they were ahead.

link please. because although i know to what you refer, you're doing your usual trick of hovering somewhere between gross exaggeration and outright lies.

....so they're all making it up then...?

I am WONDERING if a significant amount of it is.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    People who cycle at speed on footpaths and across pedestrian bridges are assholes regardless of nationality.
    Agree. I am an experienced cyclist btw - so have no axe to grind against law abiding cyclists of any nationality.

[QUOTE=AnonoBoy;69190773Why do you presume that someone goes off and says you're a racist because they got in an argument with you in traffic?[/QUOTE]
    I just wondered about the possibility, mainly because I've seen the racism card played a few years ago. I worked for a multi cultural multi national for years and was involved in an incident where a foreign national claimed I was racist after he'd dropped the ball in an important project. I had never met this man and his name did not give his race away. Yet to cover himself he was willing to hang someone he had never met. It fell apart because I made a conference call and asked him what race/colour was I. HR were on the call when he admitted he didn't know because had never met me - so proving I couldn't have known about his own ethnicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I just wondered about the possibility, mainly because I've seen the racism card played a few years ago. I worked for a multi cultural multi national for years and was involved in an incident where a foreign national claimed I was racist after he'd dropped the ball in an important project. I had never met this man and his name did not give his race away. Yet to cover himself he was willing to hang someone he had never met. It fell apart because I made a conference call and asked him what race/colour was I. HR were on the call when he admitted he didn't know because had never met me - so proving I couldn't have known about his own ethnicity.

/Takes notes . . ..

link please. because although i know to what you refer, you're doing your usual trick of hovering somewhere between gross exaggeration and outright lies.

Never let it be said.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69047172&postcount=65

Now you can return the favour and show some of my "outright lies". Thanks in advance.

Never let it be said.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69047172&postcount=65

Now you can return the favour and show some of my "outright lies". Thanks in advance.

you're becoming more obnoxious with each post - that was obviously a joke. seriously nodin, is this about all you do with your life?

edit: your original comment would be more on the gross exaggeration side so. just to clarify.

you're..............clarify.
    .............your usual trick of hovering somewhere between gross exaggeration and outright lies.

....the outright lies. The example please.....? If its my "usual trick" it shouldn't be that hard to find a few....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

you're becoming more obnoxious with each post - that was obviously a joke. seriously nodin, is this about all you do with your life?

As i've explained before Nodin and others like him are so prickly about matters of "racism" because he feels superior to ethnic minorities and for this he feels guilty.

In the back of his mind he feels the white race to be suerior and in order to banish these forbidden thoughts he rails against other people's perceived slights against foreigners..this is purely to detract from his own guilt.

I have a black friend(several in fact) born in Dublin who said to me "I dont have a probelm with racist jokes as long as they're funny but i DO have a problem with pissy-arsed white people saying ' how dare say that in front of him,its racist'..as if i cant speak up for myself".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Please cut out the personal stuff from here on out.
    Attack the post and not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I was accused of being racist by some bloke on youtube for saying he had sh1t taste in music. (it was a Bon Jovi song with the him singin over it i was talking about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's tricky. I think that someone who is from a minority, be it Asian/Arab/African etc, will jump quicker to the conclusion that if someone from the majority gives out to them that it must be racially motivated. It's the path of least resistance so to speak as it does not require him/her to evaluate their own potential fault in the situation.
    The funny thing is that many minority groups are very racist against each other. The most racist guy I've ever met was Chinese (against Africans).

There is also a problem with many foreigners coming from very macho cultures where aggression/chauvinism is the order of the day. This clashes with the more mild-mannered Irish culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Hasmunch wrote: »
    I blame the foreigners..... there was no racism in Ireland until they came along

Was that before or after the vikings where here:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

biko wrote: »
    It's tricky. I think that someone who is from a minority, be it Asian/Arab/African etc, will jump quicker to the conclusion that if someone from the majority gives out to them that it must be racially motivated. It's the path of least resistance so to speak as it does not require him/her to evaluate their own potential fault in the situation.
    The funny thing is that many minority groups are very racist against each other. The most racist guy I've ever met was Chinese (against Africans).

There is also a problem with many foreigners coming from very macho cultures where aggression/chauvinism is the order of the day. This clashes with the more mild-mannered Irish culture.

It is tricky alright. It's easier to spot when there's a bunch of white lads and only the coloured lad is getting stick. But then again, it could just be the order of the day and nothing to do with colour, and more just being the outsider (in which case, colour plays a part, but is not the underlying factor).

The most difficult to spot would be when a guy is just being an ass in general to everyone - someone of colour can perceive that they've done nothing wrong so the guy must be acting like a príck for no other reason than colour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

biko wrote: »

Probably the most sensible post i've seen for ages on the subject.

Irish people are portrayed as drooling racists by OTHER irish people but the vast majority of foreigners will tell you the only actual trouble they've had has been from scumbags..and less face it,scumbags will abuse a centipede for having too many legs..very little anybosy can do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I am.

:rolleyes: yaaawwwwnnn Nodin is back to defend all that are not Irish....was expecting some kind of comment from you in this post....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Before I even type the incident I experienced I would just like to clarify that just because there was a foreign national involved, does not mean that i tar them all with the same brush. But this is totally relavent to the Opening Post....

A few months ago I was standing on the footpath on the Old Bawn Road in Tallaght. Anyone familiar with this road will know there is no cycle lane on the path so therefore cyclists are supposed to be on the road. I was standing talking to a friend and a Guy on a bike came towards me, fairly fast too and skidded up to about 2 feet from where i was standing. He took his headphones out and quite aggressively shouted "Move" and glared at me. I looked at him, shook my head and continued with my conversation.

He then accused me of not moving out of his way because he was a foreigner and I was a racist. Which really annoyed me so I turned back to him and said "call me what you want pal, but this is a FOOTpath, not a cycle lane!!!! So you either go around me or go onto the road!!"

He started mouthing off in whatever language he spoke and kept shouting "Racist" as he cycled off on the road!!!

I'm not racist in any shape or form, no matter what nationality you are, if you're gonna act like a w****r, then you'll be treated like one!!!

Racist ^

Racist ^

How'd you figure that one out???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I once had a black Brazilian girl tell me she was leaving Ireland because there were too many "small-eyed Asians" here and our culture had been damaged irreparably.

Crazy racist bitch.

How'd you figure that one out???

Sure ya don't like foreign cyclists. It's obvious you're a racist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Lawl Foreign national. My own favourite is Non-National which implies that the person does not have any nationality. Seriously OP, your making something out of nothing. People are assholes and it doesn't matter where they come from, they're all assholes.

no matter what nationality you are, if you're gonna act like a w****r, then you'll be treated like one!!!

elviscostello........... Maybe you should read full posts before trying to be smart.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It's difficult to find out what constitutes a racist incident these days as the Govt closed the NCCRI in 2008. Their last report covered July-Dec 2008 as follows:
    There were 56 racist incidents reported and compiled by the NCCRI between July –December 2008

· 32% of all incidents related to the article “Africa is giving nothing to anyone – apart from AIDS” by Kevin Myers in the Irish Independent on the 15th July 2008

The statistics stated below related in incidents of racism reported to the NCCRI excluding those relating the article published by Kevin Myers in the Irish Independent

· 42% all incidents reported to the NCCRI occurred in the greater Dublin area. There were a notable number of incidents reported from Cork and the Meath – Louth areas.

· 10.5% of all incidents reported related to Taxi services. This is consistent with previous reports

· The majority of incidents were targeted at adults, However, in over 29% of cases young people and children were targeted either as part of a family or individually. This is substantially higher than in previous reports.

· The breakdown shows that the most significant victims of racist incidents were Black Africans, constituting 42% of all incidents reported. Travellers accounted for 10.5% of all incidents recorded. People of Asian origin as well as Polish, French, Jewish and Muslim communities also reported experiences of racism to the NCCRI.

The report goes into more detail, previous reports are also available at http://www.nccri.ie

No one seems to have reported any bike or car related incidents OP.

elviscostello........... Maybe you should read full posts before trying to be smart.......

anthonyk.is........... I was joking.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Degsy wrote: »
    As i've explained before Nodin and others like him are so prickly about matters of "racism" because he feels superior to ethnic minorities and for this he feels guilty.

In the back of his mind he feels the white race to be suerior and in order to banish these forbidden thoughts he rails against other people's perceived slights against foreigners..this is purely to detract from his own guilt.

I have a black friend(several in fact) born in Dublin who said to me "I dont have a probelm with racist jokes as long as they're funny but i DO have a problem with pissy-arsed white people saying ' how dare say that in front of him,its racist'..as if i cant speak up for myself".

I, like your black friend, would have a problem with a pissy-arsed person of any kind saying, 'how dare you say that in front of him' in relation to anything someone said to/about me and so suggesting i couldn't stand up for myself.
    But of course, nothing like that was posted by anyone here.
    The OP wondered about an incident possibly being mis-characterised as a 'racist' incident and a number of posters pointed out that there was no reason to think, from what he wrote, that the foreign-national involved had seen it as a racist incident.
    No need for the amateur psychology.

anthonyk.is........... I was joking.......

Ah i see, humour is hard to get in text format..... lol

Rant Over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Have we got to "Political Correctness gone mad!" yet?

It's difficult to find out what constitutes a racist incident these days as the Govt closed the NCCRI in 2008. Their last report covered July-Dec 2008 as follows:

The report goes into more detail, previous reports are also available at http://www.nccri.ie

No one seems to have reported any bike or car related incidents OP.

Thanks for that - It emphatically answered my question.

Having read this it is obvious I was barking up th wrong tree completely!

• Advertisement
Advertisement