Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wondering about so called racist incidents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lightshow

I had an episode in a taxi myself. African driver (can't say from which country) took me on a merry tour of every part of south Dublin that I DIDN"T want to go to, dispite having a sat nav.

After 10 mins I became annoyed and told him to stop the car. He IMMEDIATELY turned round and began accusing me of being racist and that he was going to report me.

I had a simple answer. "If you call me a racist again I'll take your taxi number and report you to the guards for slander".

You can't be accused of being racist, any more than you can be accused of being a paedofile, without the accuser having proof.

Keep this in mind the next time somebody attempts to assassinate your character with some lazy racism jibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lightshow wrote: »
    I had an episode in a taxi myself. African driver (can't say from which country) took me on a merry tour of every part of south Dublin that I DIDN"T want to go to, dispite having a sat nav.

After 10 mins I became annoyed and told him to stop the car. He IMMEDIATELY turned round and began accusing me of being racist and that he was going to report me.

I had a simple answer. "If you call me a racist again I'll take your taxi number and report you to the guards for slander".

You can't be accused of being racist, any more than you can be accused of being a paedofile, without the accuser having proof.

Keep this in mind the next time somebody attempts to assassinate your character with some lazy racism jibe.

I never understand how anyone lets a taxi driver take them more than a minute in the wrong direction before pointing it out.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I never understand how anyone lets a taxi driver take them more than a minute in the wrong direction before pointing it out.

It's the Irish disease. I didn't want to make a scene. I was overly conscious of not seeming racist too to be honest.

Oh the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

:rolleyes: yaaawwwwnnn Nodin is back to defend all that are not Irish....was expecting some kind of comment from you in this post....

...amazing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mstan wrote: »
    I blame the Greeks, they invented gayness

And 'love' of their mothers.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Could the footpath thing be a misunderstanding? I know over in Finland everyone cycles on the footpath, of course they are a lot wider than the average Irish path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Degsy wrote: »
    Probably the most sensible post i've seen for ages on the subject.

Irish people are portrayed as drooling racists by OTHER irish people but the vast majority of foreigners will tell you the only actual trouble they've had has been from scumbags..and less face it,scumbags will abuse a centipede for having too many legs..very little anybosy can do there.

True. There is a difference between a group of lads going out and saying they're going to beat the crap out of a black lad and another who go out saying they are going to beat the crap out of someone. Depending on who they come across these scum will hurl the insults be it fat bastard, ginger bastard, lanky bastard.... well you get the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Degsy wrote: »
    I have a black friend(several in fact) born in Dublin who said to me "I dont have a probelm with racist jokes as long as they're funny but i DO have a problem with pissy-arsed white people saying ' how dare say that in front of him,its racist'..as if i cant speak up for myself".

Definitely.

Black friends can be racist too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Slander involves publication to a third party. If publication was made directly to you there was no slander. Also, what are the guards supposed to do, arrest him? Slander is a tort, not a crime.

Keep this in mind the next time you try to lecture a foreigner on the laws of your own country...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's a lot of Indian kids and teenagers here that are terrible cyclists. They're mainly boys aged about 10 to 19, but there's a few girls too. They cycle all over the footpaths as fast as possible so everyone has to jump out of the way, then they cycle into the middle of the road almost causing an accident, then get back on the path. There's no sense or meaning to the way they cycle. They don't slow down for anyone or anything.

I've seen plenty of bad cyclists, but this is beyond a joke. They're going to get themselves or someone else killed someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

mstan wrote: »
    Thank this post if you regularly have sexual fantasies about young children

I love how brummytom was the first to thank your post....

Bad brummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I have also found some of the other nationalities in ireland to be incredibly racist.
    A romanian guy told me all the "black n*ggers" should be back in the jungle:eek:
    A polish guy i worked with hated ALL romanians - no excuse, that was his logic
    2 lithuanian guys on a job in dublin explaining that chinese people were lazy and did nothing for ireland (hadn't the heart to tell them that the chinese guy in the shop beside me does more hours in a week than the 2 of them put together!!)

Racism is a difficult one - people can be very quick to call someone a racist if they stand up to a foreign national for a wrong doing - the foreign national who i tried to get to put his rubbish in the bin after throwing it on the ground.........am i racist or did he do wrong??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Its all BS I believe most of its made up, some of these jokers love playing the victim so much that they actually delude themselves that everyone will just believe it.

This woman claimed in a sworn statement that a Police Officer was racist and pulled her Burqa off, in fact the whole thing was recorded by the police car camera that the cop did not act improperly.

A BURQA-CLAD mother of seven who claimed she was the victim of mistaken identity has been jailed for six months for making a false complaint against a police officer.

Magistrate Robert Rabbidge dismissed Carnita Matthews' allegations that a highway patrol officer was racist after he pulled her over for a Random Breath Test and claims he forcibly tried to remove her face veil as false.

In sentencing her, he described her actions as "both deliberate and malicious" saying he had no option but to sentence her to jail given the seriousness of her allegations, and to send a clear message to the community.

A second woman, also wearing a burqa today who was supporting Matthews in court broke down in tears as she was removed by Corrective Service officers.

Matthews was charged in June after allegedly falsely claiming that a highway patrol officer handled her in an attempt to see her burqa-hidden face during a random breath test. She pleaded not guilty.

After arriving at Campbelltown Local Court yesterday with an identically dressed friend, Matthews watched the in-car police video of her being pulled over and asked to lift the burqa so the officer could verify her licence photo.

Her claim that she had not signed the Statutory Declaration outlining her complaint were rejected with Magistrate Rabbidge saying the signature on it was almost identical to that on her driver's licence.

The court was told that after being issued an infringement notice for not properly displaying her P-plates, the 46-year-old branded the officer "a racist" and claimed he only booked her because of what she was wearing.

"I've got my P-plates on my car ... there was nothing wrong with how they were displayed," Matthews said on the video.

"You look at me and see me wearing this and you couldn't handle it. All cops are racist."

The court heard that Matthews then drove to Campbelltown police station to complain that she was unfairly treated by the officer.

Giving evidence yesterday, the station officer who took the complaint said he had told Matthews the officer had been right to ask for identification.

In a statement read to the court, Sergeant Paul Kearney said he told her: "I'm looking at you and all I can see is two eyes."

However, the court was told that an officer who three days later accepted a statutory declaration from a burqa-clad woman he assumed to be Matthews failed to check her identification.

Matthews' lawyer Stephen Hopper said there was no way for police to prove that his client was the one who signed the statutory declaration at Campbelltown police station on June 10.

Mr Hopper said that meant Matthews should not have been charged with the offence of making a false complaint to police.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/it-wasnt-me-in-that-burqa-says-accused/story-e6freuzi-1225955956369

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mmmm, carnita

Strangely there's a lot of racism by light skinned Indian people towards darker skinned Indians. There's a big market in India for skin bleaching cream.

• Advertisement

Slander involves publication to a third party. If publication was made directly to you there was no slander. Also, what are the guards supposed to do, arrest him? Slander is a tort, not a crime.

Keep this in mind the next time you try to lecture a foreigner on the laws of your own country...

Definition of slander:

Noun - an abusive attack on a person's character or good name

Noun - words falsely sopken (that's SPOKEN) that damage the reputation of another

Verb - charge falsely or with malicious intent

Aside from your need to seem clever, you're completely missing the point of my post. The point was to shut the man up and inform him that racist slurs are punishable by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Unpossible wrote: »
    Could the footpath thing be a misunderstanding? I know over in Finland everyone cycles on the footpath, of course they are a lot wider than the average Irish path.
    coincidence - my brother said that to me this morning. Apparently in some European countries cycling on footpaths, without cycle lanes, is permitted.
    So there is a chance these people don't know they are doing wrong.

Although this is asides to my original question, in that the cycling element wasn't the problem. I don't cycle on footpaths myself out of consideration to pedestrians and the law but I don't get on a high horse when others do. I do object to anyone putting either myself or others in danger and then mouthing off because I refuse to be bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

It's the Irish disease. I didn't want to make a scene. I was overly conscious of not seeming racist too to be honest.

Oh the irony.

know what ya mean

a nigerian taxi driver (i know his nationality because i asked him in genial conversation during the journey) picked me up in a small midlands town one night to go to another. I asked him to agree a fare first even though he was metered and we agreed on 20 - he'd very good english and understood perfectly well.

when we got there the meter said 24.50. i gave him a 20 note and he started getting all wound up because the meter said 24.50. i tried to remind him of the agreement we made but all of a sudden his english wasn't so good anymore. if it was an irish guy, i would have told him to f'uck off and got out of the taxi - with this guy i just paid up...i just didn't want him to think i was racist or taking advantage of the fact english was not his first language.

the irish condition in action.

That's a typically sickening episone Biffo. As you say, if the driver was Irish you would have had no problem arguing your point with him.

On another occasion I was accused of being racist for not allowing a woman to skip to the head of the queue in the post office. I was the only person in the queue to speak up. After hearing how I was spoken to I doubt any of my fellow queuers will dare to speak up in a similar situation in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

biko wrote: »
    It's tricky. I think that someone who is from a minority, be it Asian/Arab/African etc, will jump quicker to the conclusion that if someone from the majority gives out to them that it must be racially motivated. It's the path of least resistance so to speak as it does not require him/her to evaluate their own potential fault in the situation.

I agree and disagree. Living in Ireland as a foreigner, I've come to the conclusion that the Irish don't necessarily treat other Irish people that well. So what a lot of foreigners chalk up to "they are racist" really boils down to, "no they are dicks and treat everyone like that". I even saw this in the US - I found graduate school to be a very alienating experience, but I chalked it up to the usual grad student malaise. But I had a Japanese friend who thought he felt that way because he was foreign. Unfortunately, we didn't talk about it until right before he went back to Japan, because neither of us wanted to seem like whiners. But it's very easy as a foreigner to think that everything is because they are foreign, or because they aren't a native English speaker, not because sometimes life is hard and people are jerks.

This is not to say that racism doesn't exist. And I agree that some people want to blame everyone else for their problems. But I truly believe that much of the time, these incidents boil down to cultural misunderstandings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

I agree and disagree. Living in Ireland as a foreigner, I've come to the conclusion that the Irish don't necessarily treat other Irish people that well. So what a lot of foreigners chalk up to "they are racist" really boils down to, "no they are dicks and treat everyone like that". I even saw this in the US - I found graduate school to be a very alienating experience, but I chalked it up to the usual grad student malaise. But I had a Japanese friend who thought he felt that way because he was foreign. Unfortunately, we didn't talk about it until right before he went back to Japan, because neither of us wanted to seem like whiners. But it's very easy as a foreigner to think that everything is because they are foreign, or because they aren't a native English speaker, not because sometimes life is hard and people are jerks.

This is not to say that racism doesn't exist. And I agree that some people want to blame everyone else for their problems. But I truly believe that much of the time, these incidents boil down to cultural misunderstandings.

Very true what you say there southsiderosie,but at the end of the day it is a big difference between racism and ignorance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

That's a typically sickening episone Biffo. As you say, if the driver was Irish you would have had no problem arguing your point with him.

On another occasion I was accused of being racist for not allowing a woman to skip to the head of the queue in the post office. I was the only person in the queue to speak up. After hearing how I was spoken to I doubt any of my fellow queuers will dare to speak up in a similar situation in the future.

the thing is too that a large enough minority of black men/women (jesus i feel like such a racist already!), have us very sussed out about our attitude to not wanting to be seen as racist. what you describe has happened to me a few times in shops and the like. black lady with pram will bustle herself into the front of a queue with that look that says 'go on, challenge me' and sure enough, most of the time nobody will. the biggest knackers out there stop short of jumping queues - but the women i've seen do this (on numerous occasions) have no issues at all. we're supposed to think 'oh, ya know, cultural differences' and just stfu because anything else may be deemed racist!

I think you're damn right Biff, most Irish people would be mortified to be thought of as racist, especially with our own history abroad. Many immigrants know this and play the racist card for every little percieved slight against them.

I'm tired of it now and won't be putting up with it any more. I'm not, never have been nor evey will be racist. I just dispise bad manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a lot of Indian kids and teenagers here that are terrible cyclists. They're mainly boys aged about 10 to 19, but there's a few girls too. They cycle all over the footpaths as fast as possible so everyone has to jump out of the way, then they cycle into the middle of the road almost causing an accident, then get back on the path. There's no sense or meaning to the way they cycle. They don't slow down for anyone or anything.

You'll get that in India though. Loads of Indians everywhere over there.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    I love how brummytom was the first to thank your post....

Bad brummy!

The thanks are in alphabetical order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The OP said that he hadn't heard of any racist attacks in the news? Here's one:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0405/1224267706986.html

the thing is too that a large enough minority of black men/women (jesus i feel like such a racist already!), have us very sussed out about our attitude to not wanting to be seen as racist. what you describe has happened to me a few times in shops and the like. black lady with pram will bustle herself into the front of a queue with that look that says 'go on, challenge me' and sure enough, most of the time nobody will. the biggest knackers out there stop short of jumping queues - but the women i've seen do this (on numerous occasions) have no issues at all. we're supposed to think 'oh, ya know, cultural differences' and just stfu because anything else may be deemed racist!

And this is where I think societies run into problems. People need to be treated equally, whether they are doing right or doing bad; a bully is a bully. Personally I think the shop clerks should handle stuff like this.

I know that in some countries, pregnant women and the elderly are allowed to jump the queue. But, again, most foreigners (myself included) have to pay attention to what is going on to observe and follow appropriate social norms. For example, when I lived in Madrid, and generally in the US, people cross the street if there is no traffic, regardless of the light. But in Bilbao, people wait for the light to change, especially if children are at the crosswalk. A lot of the people you see jaywalking are foreigners, which only makes locals grumpy and makes foreign people look foolish. As someone who is used to crossing against the light, I constantly have to check myself, but these are the things that you do when you are living in someone else's country.

I know this is kind of a trite example, but I think it illustrates the broader point when it comes to queue-jumping, bike paths, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I guess the middle-aged guy who shouted "****ing monkey" and spat in my direction yesterday morning as I exited the bank was just indulging in the famed Irish wit and banter and that I was overly sensitive and have a chip on my shoulder for having interpreted his actions as being racist.

After reading this thread, consider me disabused of the idea that there is racism in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Gyalist wrote: »
    I guess the middle-aged guy who shouted "****ing monkey" and spat in my direction yesterday morning as I exited the bank was just indulging in the famed Irish wit and banter and that I was overly sensitive and have a chip on my shoulder for having interpreted his actions as being racist.

After reading this thread, consider me disabused of the idea that there is racism in Ireland.

If I read you correctly, that guy was not only a racist, he was a criminal and should be prosecuted.

Gyalist wrote: »

But that is explicitly racist, and if you turned around and told him so loudly, few would disagree with you. Yelling at someone for jumping the queue isn't racist though, and people who claim it is not only make themselves look foolish, but they make it harder on those who actually are on the brunt end of racist behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I once had a black Brazilian girl tell me she was leaving Ireland because there were too many "small-eyed Asians" here and our culture had been damaged irreparably.

Crazy racist bitch.

Those bloody foreigners are all racist :pac:

Strangely there's a lot of racism by light skinned Indian people towards darker skinned Indians. There's a big market in India for skin bleaching cream.

Apparently in India darker skin is an indicator of low caste, hence the bias. They also carry it with them against darker skinned Africans etc.

Nodin wrote: »
    Apparently in India darker skin is an indicator of low caste, hence the bias. They also carry it with them against darker skinned Africans etc.

The most racist person I ever met was from Pakistan. He also had a tendency to attribute to racism any misfortune which befell him (regardless of how well deserved)

That's right. And in parts of the Far East it is the poorest people who spend more time in the sun working as agricultural labourers, and so that attitude carries on there as well. Thin and tanned = poor. Fat and untanned = rich.

Funny old world, if it wasn't so serious.

That's right. And in parts of the Far East it is the poorest people who spend more time in the sun working as agricultural labourers, and so that attitude carries on there as well. Thin and tanned = poor. Fat and untanned = rich.

It was the same in the Western world until about the middle of the last century (See 1930's movies etc) It was the advent of civilian jet air travel (initially the preserve of the well healed) which changed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    The OP said that he hadn't heard of any racist attacks in the news? Here's one:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0405/1224267706986.html

Wasnt this just a couple of groups of scumbags fighting, that ended badly. One group of which happened to be black?

The media just overblew the whole thing as a racist attack.

If I read you correctly, that guy was not only a racist, he was a criminal and should be prosecuted.

Criminal? Are you serious?

Orange69 wrote: »
    Criminal? Are you serious?

Spitting at someone, threatening and abusive behaviour...are you serious?

Wondering about so called racist incidents?

Wondering ??? Sounds like youve already made up your mind !

• Advertisement

You jumped to a lot of conclusions there. Calling someone a monkey and spitting on the street isnt criminal just yet. Not that Im saying it was right, but lets not go nuts...

Wasnt this just a couple of groups of scumbags fighting, that ended badly. One group of which happened to be black?

The media just overblew the whole thing as a racist attack.

Maybe, but that's for the judge to decide. If it ever comes to trial.

I'd imagine so....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57938864&postcount=6

:rolleyes:

Ah the utterly pathetic "out of context historical post" trick. Well done.

Maybe, but that's for the judge to decide. If it ever comes to trial.

Hopefully the judge is more open minded than you lot.

:rolleyes:

Ah the utterly pathetic "out of context historical post" trick. Well done.

Yep, entirely out of context....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65946569&postcount=33

• Advertisement

Looking back over your posts you seem like a rabid libtard who hates anything Irish.. whats your story?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

^^^
    Banned.

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My sister was at a recent sale at Next,about 150 people were waiting patiently for the store to open and as soon as the doors were opened a group of African women jumped out of their cars and tried to barge in completely ignoring the fact there was a queue.The store manager promptly closed the doors and ordered them to the back of the queue as he had witnessed this behaviour before.Much arguing ensued with most of it involving them accusing him of being a racist and that they were calling the Gardai,he took his phone out and offered it to them.Result-they skulked to the back of the queue.
    I hate when people use the racist/victim card to achieve something unfairly.If they want to be treated equally then act as equals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'm prejudiced about people who judge others based on nationality, race, sexual prefs etc. to the point where I go around targeting, tracking down, beating up and killing, known racists and judgemental posters on boards.

In my opinion it doesn't matter where you come from, the colour of your skin or your sexual orientation, as a rule approxamately 10% of any population or demographic are complete a$sholes. sometimes a few of us get an unlucky a streak of a$sholes from the same demographic and draw prejudiced conclusions based on the negative experiences. just remember the 10% rule and try not to be in that 10% or you'll end up like me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement