Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

menoscemo wrote: »
    Meeting at 8:30 and swining over to walkinstown for 10:30 as part of the route. What's complicated about that?

Geeeee I'm sorry I typed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Geeeee I'm sorry I typed. :rolleyes:

:o Sorry, didn't mean it like that. If you are going for a spin, why not veer over to the finishline of the Sportsworld and we can catch you there?

:o Sorry, didn't mean it like that. If you are going for a spin, why not veer over to the finishline of the Sportsworld and we can catch you there?

You'd fricken better be! :pac: Was thinking of heading over to the race on the bike yeah, depends on the quality of the Emmerdale omnibus. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

You'd fricken better be! :pac: Was thinking of heading over to the race on the bike yeah, depends on the quality of the Emmerdale omnibus. :D

Great manchester run on bbc as well of course. You've zero chance of making that run RQ.

Great manchester run on bbc as well of course. You've zero chance of making that run RQ.

That throws a spanner in the works all right. I've no plans to run anyway but a 50k cycle was on the cards. While we're talking about these ****ty great run races how come they get their races to start in the mornings in the UK but we've to wait till the hottest part of the day for ours? :rolleyes:

Martin Fagan is running too, so I really shouldn't miss this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

If your ITB is actually swollen thats not a very good sign. :pac:

Swollen from using the Grid, bring on the pain! Physio booked for Monday night, looking forward to crying like a little girl.....again.:D

mrslow wrote: »
    Swollen from using the Grid, bring on the pain! Physio booked for Monday night, looking forward to crying like a little girl.....again.:D

I overdose on nurofen plus before a massage if I know it's going to hurt a LOT. Get comments like ''Geez you're doing well today this must be agony the state your legs are in''. I just pretend I'm dead 'ard. :cool:

Edit: *Disclaimer* For the record, I am not recommending you overdose on over the counter drugs!

Get comments like ''Geez you're doing well today this must be agony the state your legs are in''. I just pretend I'm dead 'ard. :cool:

I've gotten those comments too, without painkillers :cool:

Aside from the fact that next weekend I need to run a sub 45 10k on Saturday and do a 16 mile LSR on Sunday, I'm on taper! :D

Met Jcsmum and Meno at 8:30 on what was looking like a rough day but it turned out fine, The Park was packed with Gardai and we did a lap before heading over to catch the end of the Sportsworld 5 mile, It was good to be on the sidelines for a change and we got to see Ray, Woddle, Dijigem,Perkina Vaggababe and Digger all cross the line looking like they weren't even trying:mad:. We carried on to the Long Mile Road running the reverse of the Marathon course, squeezed in the Kyber in the park to finish up in 3:14:10 covering 20.79 miles average pace 9:20

The two Garmin slaves had to run up and down past the car to even it up :rolleyes:

Tuesday - 6 miles average pace 8:35
    Wed - 5.77 average pace 8:10 followed by 2 x 1,200m repeats @ 6:40
    Thursday - 10.7 miles average pace 7:49
    Sunday - 20.79 miles average pace 9:20

Total for week - 44.76 miles
    Total for year - 529.19 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah great run yesterday, delighted with myself. Thanks for the encouragement!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Yeah great run yesterday, delighted with myself. Thanks for the encouragement!

Not at all, sure you're giving me a piggyback in Cork! ;)

IT Bands stripped and glutes massacred!

Pain is your friend?:(

I've gotten those comments too, without painkillers :cool:

Obviously my legs are in worse condition than yours. I've run more miles after all! :D
    IT Bands stripped and glutes massacred!

Pain is your friend?:(

Mine is booked in for Friday. ITB's, glutes, quads, lower back... :(

Obviously my legs are in worse condition than yours. I've run more miles after all! :D

More likely that you simply deserve more abuse than I. :pac:

VO2 Max Session

A Liquorice Allsorts of a run broken down as follows:

4.46 miles average pace 8:13

5 x 600m repeats average pace 6:05

2 mile w/d average pace 8:45

Total : 8.43 Miles

Legs were very tired and sore after physio last night, have a 6 mile recovery tomorrow night and so will take that ultra slow.

Slow, uncomfortable and awkward!

6.28 miles in 56:51 average pace 9:03 min miles

Day off tomorrow with a 4 mile recovery on Friday before Saturday's 10k time trial when I hope the legs will be back in full working order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could go even slower on your recovery runs, slower than LSR pace.

RayCun wrote: »
    You could go even slower on your recovery runs, slower than LSR pace.

It took all the discipline in the world to stay at that pace on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It took all the discipline in the world to stay at that pace on my own.

I love the slow runs. Stick on the radio and chill out. I find it harder to go faster on my own :pac:

• Advertisement

I love the slow runs. Stick on the radio and chill out. I find it harder to go faster on my own :pac:

You're obviously not running to Rage Against the Machine then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You're obviously not running to Rage Against the Machine then ;)

Try something a bit more chilled out then :)

Try something a bit more chilled out then :)

My route has a lot to do with it, I'm bored of it (I'm bored of all the others before you say it) and running too late in the day to head out into the country (no paths) which I love and would nearly walk the mileage.

You could try listening to podcasts - Marathon talk, this American life, Football weekly - instead of music, easier to slow down.

This was as tough as any race I've done, possibly tougher given I didn't have the benefit of race day adrenaline. I was aiming for sub 45 mins (Meno didn't think I could do it in training:P). Warmed up for 2 miles and am delighted with my 10km in 43:56 average pace 7:03 a new pb in training, my former being 45:40 in early March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Am a bit curious about this "time-trial" - why did you do it? As you say, you didn't have the race-day adrenalin and you also have big bunch of LSRs which will give you stamina but dull the sharpness. If you did a 10k after Cork I'd say you've a good chance to break 42 even. Am curious as it doesn't seem part of a normal taper!

macinalli wrote: »
    Am a bit curious about this "time-trial" - why did you do it? As you say, you didn't have the race-day adrenalin and you also have big bunch of LSRs which will give you stamina but dull the sharpness. If you did a 10k after Cork I'd say you've a good chance to break 42 even. Am curious as it doesn't seem part of a normal taper!

I'm following P&D which plans a 10k race for today with a 16 mile run tomorrow, I couldn't find a race so this was the next best thing. I think part of the idea is to give you confidence that you're progressing and the other is to have me running my LSR a touch fatigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm assuming after that run on your own that you are now on an official taper? That time on your own was impressive but take it easy from here on in - remember when you need to do it.

A good run, so will you be bringing your wallet to Dunshaughlin, just in case? :D

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'm assuming after that run on your own that you are now on an official taper? That time on your own was impressive but take it easy from here on in - remember when you need to do it.

Just following the schedule, 16 miles tomorrow then it's all downhill.
    RayCun wrote: »
    A good run, so will you be bringing your wallet to Dunshaughlin, just in case? :D

It's looking a bit more likely now that I'm in contention alright, don't forget yours' though, it'd be embarrassing if you couldn't buy the first round ;)

16.29 miles average pace 9:20 ish (Garmin crashed and I lost the info)

This was by far the hardest run in training, my legs were pretty shattered after yesterday and after about 7 miles I was running on empty, I struggled on and realised it was a glycogen depletion exercise when my stomach felt sick and I couldn't imagine running the last 2 miles home. I survived and am now officially on taper and about bloody time too!

I've just realised I'm about 76 miles from the finish line:D

Tuesday - 8.43 miles with 5 x 600m @ 6:10 pace
    Wednesday - 6.28 miles @ 9:03
    Saturday - 8 miles with 10k @ 7:03
    Sunday - 16 miles @ 9:20

Total for week - 38.71 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wow, super running there! Knew you had your time trial and LSR at the weekend. Not the easiest conditions weather-wise either.
    Enjoy taper.
    We're nearly there...... :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Wow, super running there! Knew you had your time trial and LSR at the weekend. Not the easiest conditions weather-wise either.
    Enjoy taper.
    We're nearly there...... :)

Have you signed up for Newry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

16.29 miles average pace 9:20 ish (Garmin crashed and I lost the info)

This was by far the hardest run in training, my legs were pretty shattered after yesterday and after about 7 miles I was running on empty, I struggled on and realised it was a glycogen depletion exercise when my stomach felt sick and I couldn't imagine running the last 2 miles home. I survived and am now officially on taper and about bloody time too!

I've just realised I'm about 76 miles from the finish line:D

It wouldn't be marathon training without it now would it? Snot bubbles a plenty?! ;)

I think I'm going to stop working for the next 2 weeks and just enjoy the entertainment of your crazy...I think I saw a loose dog with your name on it this morning..:D

• Advertisement

I'm so tired!!!schla15.gif

Tapering isn't much fun is it?

Tapering isn't much fun is it?

It is not:mad:, no crazy for me just tiredness personified, I feel like the fittest 1,000 year old in Dublin.

Good old fashioned taper madness :D

Good old fashioned taper madness :D

No madness I said:mad:

Seriously, it wasn't like this last time, I'm not cowering in fear of buggies, trolleys and dogs on and off leads, I could just sleep standing up. I've gone Homer and just tune out in the middle of......la la la la la boom:confused:

• Advertisement

I'm not cowering in fear of buggies, trolleys and dogs on and off leads

not this week, no :D

I've a niggle in my left knee, I hope it's not fatal :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

No madness I said:mad:
    I've a niggle in my left knee, I hope it's not fatal :eek::eek::eek:

:D

only messing of course, hope it's nothing too serious.

Woddle wrote: »
    :D

only messing of course, hope it's nothing too serious.

It's fine, just some muscle tightness ;)

It's fine, just some muscle tightness ;)

Start worrying when you can get musical notes out of your ITB :pac:

Start worrying when you can get musical notes out of your ITB :pac:

I can sign soprano when it's being stripped, does that count?

I can sign soprano when it's being stripped, does that count?

Maybe. :pac:

I'm gonna have a sign 'Get up ourra da' on that lovely hill on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm gonna have a sign 'Get up ourra da' on that lovely hill on Saturday!

Similar to the one I had at Milltown during DCM 2010?!

claralara wrote: »
    Similar to the one I had at Milltown during DCM 2010?!

Nope, I'm a man of my word. I'll be there with my family to cheer ye on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement