Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

After a week of sneachta and ice and no happy hormones, I've been going crazy with cabin fever.

Tonight I was finally able to get back out.

2 mile warm up followed by 6 x 400m repeats at sub 7 min pace with recovery @ 10 min mile in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    Soundin pretty down there dude, would a 12 mile stretch of the legs on Saturday morning help?

Just B-O-R-E-D chief........I don't think I've run further than 5 miles since D cm Day (although I'm open to correct myself) So 12 might be a bit much. Ordered a pair of Salamon trail runners last night...Not sure why but guess it's so I can wear them on Christmas day and have people pointing and scratching their heads...They're lime green and black....:eek: Any word from the thirty year old?

She mailed me last week, she's staring down the barrell of 31 now so she's effectively in her mid thirties:D

Would you manage 8?

She mailed me last week, she's staring down the barrell of 31 now so she's effectively in her mid thirties:D

Would you manage 8?

Not long before she's looking for a DJ to do the big 40......

Yep, I reckon I can do 8 on Saturday.....Planning on 5 tomorrow and 5 on Thursday so will text you Thursday afternoon to confirm!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The Jingle Bells 5k is on Saturday in the park (weather permitting)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    The Jingle Bells 5k is on Saturday in the park (weather permitting)

Ah ****e!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Not long before she's looking for a DJ to do the big 40......

Yep, I reckon I can do 8 on Saturday.....Planning on 5 tomorrow and 5 on Thursday so will text you Thursday afternoon to confirm!

Smashin!

It's only one corner of the park, around the Knockmaroon Gate. So there'll be plenty of places to run but you'll have to meet up somewhere else - or you could race...

I could race.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hi lads.... Anyone fancy an 8 on Sunday?? I will be out the night before but if you do it for like 11 I shud be able to make it in.... (Buses don't start from Templogue till like 0930 on sunday)

I am just doing bout 15 a week to maintain a level of fitness till April then ramping it up again... :D

How the goals coming along Mr. Slow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's only one corner of the park, around the Knockmaroon Gate. So there'll be plenty of places to run but you'll have to meet up somewhere else - or you could race...

What time is the Jingle bells race at? We could maybe catch a bit of it during the run. if we meet at the papal car park we'll avoid the race congestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Hi lads.... Anyone fancy an 8 on Sunday?? I will be out the night before but if you do it for like 11 I shud be able to make it in.... (Buses don't start from Templogue till like 0930 on sunday)

I am just doing bout 15 a week to maintain a level of fitness till April then ramping it up again... :D

How the goals coming along Mr. Slow?

I can do that too. I'm doing double ling runs at the moment in preparation for conn ultra...

menoscemo wrote: »
    What time is the Jingle bells race at?

Its at 11am

(and not 10, as I thought, so its a good thing you asked...)

Its at 11am

(and not 10, as I thought, so its a good thing you asked...)

You racing? and if so, what's your target?

You racing? and if so, what's your target?

Yeah... and based on my efforts at running fast in the last few weeks, anything under 21 would be a minor miracle. So that's the target :rolleyes:

No problem to ya Ray!

Tempo run tonight which didn't work out as planned, first 2 miles @ 9 min miles, second two at 8:20 (I wanted faster but my legs were tired after the 400m repeats on Sunday) and then I was supposed to revert to 9 for the last two but either my Garmin or my legs were stuck at 8:20:(

So whats the story? Are ppl running on Sunday??

Nice and nippy this morning but Myself, RK, a furry version of Digger and a lady named Clara braved the elements, Clara bowed out early but having come back to the car at 9.55 miles I was determined to get back into double figures and dragged the other two with me. It was freezing but there was great running and great company and Digger was there too :D:D:D

It was freezing but there was great running and great company and Digger was there too :D:D:D

Very funny...You should have been a comedian instead of an a55hole ;).....Hopefully will see you St Stephen's day all going well...Not sure if I'll still be sporting the Union Rep. style beard though as it's gettin mucho itchy!!

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Very funny...You should have been a comedian instead of an a55hole ;).....Hopefully will see you St Stephen's day all going well...Not sure if I'll still be sporting the Union Rep. style beard though as it's gettin mucho itchy!!

I'd have said more Glen Hansard than Union Rep;) No offence Glen.:P

Enjoy your slab of Guinness with some turkey on the side!

I'd have said more Glen Hansard than Union Rep;) No offence Glen.:P

Enjoy your slab of Guinness with some turkey on the side!

:D I'm sure Glen would be very happy to be mentioned in the same sentence as me...Saw him running in the snow tonight....He slipped and I observed him Falling Slowly...Bad...I know, really bad...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

I only started running in April 2010, so this year has been about growing the distance, getting a lot of miles into the legs and completing DCM without dying. Now I'm ready to move up a level or two, so from Monday next I'll be following Hal Higdon's 5k advanced schedule, then his 10k followed closely by the half marathon and finally the advanced marathon training plan.
    n.

Fair play Mrslow,

You have done great in 2010 -

I have been trying to run for a couple of years - i get going, and then within a few weeks i stop for a few weeks and then when i get running again i have lost what i built up previously.

Was there any specific programme that you found useful in the early days that kept you motivated. ?

About me, i have been a regular reader of the Boards Running streams, i enjoyed reading how people were getting on in the sub 4.30 DCM, i feel if i join in it may help my running/training

Running wise - in the past 12 months i have done the Aware 9k (which i trained for a ran ok) and the Adidas 5 miler, ( which i didn't do enough training and was a disaster)

showit wrote: »
    Fair play Mrslow,

You have done great in 2010 -

I have been trying to run for a couple of years - i get going, and then within a few weeks i stop for a few weeks and then when i get running again i have lost what i built up previously.

Was there any specific programme that you found useful in the early days that kept you motivated. ?

About me, i have been a regular reader of the Boards Running streams, i enjoyed reading how people were getting on in the sub 4.30 DCM, i feel if i join in it may help my running/training

Running wise - in the past 12 months i have done the Aware 9k (which i trained for a ran ok) and the Adidas 5 miler, ( which i didn't do enough training and was a disaster)

Thanks Showit,

In the beginning I knew nothing and hardly know much more now but for me it was about the love of running and the buzz from growing the distance,I didn't follow a plan and I ignored the 10% rule and just pushed on at times from 4 - 5 miles etc and had reached 8 in one run and 20 for the week by the time I started thinking of the marathon.

I posted here for the first time about 14 weeks before DCM asking should I run the marathon and for the most part people said no, someone then pointed out I could jump into the Novice 1 plan on week 5 and Raycun pointed me in the direction of the mentored thread (the motivation and support there was fantastic).

Keep forcing yourself out there even when you're not in the mood, do that extra little bit each time be it a mile or a minute and don't let yourself opt out! Run with someone if you can, having someone to talk to is great and forces you to get out because someone else is depending on you.

Happy Christmas and hopefully you'll make one of the Group runs in the near future!

Landed myself with either food poisoning or a stomach bug in the last few days and spent most of last night battling with nausea. So as any sensible person would...I decided to go for a run.

In 6-8 inches of snow, I ran the first half mile in 4 mins and struggled to stay below 10 min miles after that - It was really taxing, the temperature was -4 so my lungs felt inside out and dragging my feet through the snow was heavy going but a great workout nonetheless.

I still feel unwell but the looks of amazement from people in cars that were travelling slower than me and one 'Look at that bleedin lunatic' comment as I ran along made it all the sweeter.:cool:

Yeah I have had that too lol.....

But eh yeah my training has gone to pot now since the marathon and since the start o December I have been eating all around me...I have decided I am going enjoy this xmas and drink and eat as much as I want and start training in the new year....thoug if you are running on stephens day in the pheno let me know.... I might finally join up and meet you guys :P....

Hope you feel better lad!

It's been a while but the ice has gone and I'm back on the road, was down in Limerick overnight last night so did a cross city and back run - 10 miles in total in 1:30. It was good fun running there as the last time my foot would have touched the ground by my old school or some other areas, I'd have had a smoke hanging out of my mouth comtemplating which pub I was going to fall out of that night. (Many moons ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Im sure it wasnt that many moons ago mr slow, sure the last long run i did, i could have swore i saw a back of johny blue hiding between 2 energy gels in your little back pak !

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

i meant pack of john player

• Advertisement

nachoqueen wrote: »
    Im sure it wasnt that many moons ago mr slow, sure the last long run i did, i could have swore i saw a back of johny blue hiding between 2 energy gels in your little back pak !

Welcome back B.
    I don't even know where to possibly begin with the innuendos in your post :D

Advertisement