Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm alright, could be eating better and sleeping more. Also I think I've injured myself since last nights 3 miler :rolleyes:
    I was busy multi-tasking, waving and hi-fiving while running not a good idea. My left hip twinges every so often when I'm walking. :(

The quilt was lifting last night with the fumes from the Deep Heat I was bathed in.

4.56 miles in 39:29 average pace 8:39

This run felt a bit better than the last one, my muscles are still very sore from last weekend and taper madness has me panicking about whether or not I'll be 100% in 9 days :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

While still in the throws of absolute lunacy I met with Chinguetti and Vagga in the park, Vagga managed to be bang on time despite runing 3 miles to get there.......Claralara and Digger arrived a half an hour later:rolleyes:

This was an awkward horrible run up until about 7 miles and as predicted by Chinguetti something clicked and we cruised home at PMP.

I'm still sore and feel I'd have struggled to do 20 today but I'm a bit more optimistic about tomorrow week. Tomorrow Week? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

11:04 miles in 1:42:20 average pace 9:15

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Chinguetti being right definitely suggests that taper madness has set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Chinguetti being right definitely suggests that taper madness has set in.

Ah no, there's no need for that RQ. I am right, that is all.

• Advertisement

I'm having an ice bath this evening, really looking forward to it cool17.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm having an ice bath this evening, really looking forward to it cool17.gif

Don't knock it! After yesterday, I hopped into a stand up ice bath at the finish line. Yeah it's cold, but my God it worked wonders. And I got to share the pleasure with 2 strapping sweaty lads! :cool:

I got to share the pleasure with 2 stapping sweaty lads! :cool:

Whatever floats your boat! ;)

Whatever floats your boat! ;)

or ice tank ;)

You posted a good while back a receipe for burgers. Can you put it on here again.
    I'm pretty sure it was you. :)

• Advertisement

You posted a good while back a receipe for burgers. Can you put it on here again.
    I'm pretty sure it was you. :)

1 lb Mince - half lamb, half beef
    2 slices of bread (crumbed)
    1 Red Onion (sauteed)
    One of those stock jelly things (vegetable)
    A good dash of Worcester Sauce
    Half the content of an egg (to bind)
    Peel, Grate and squeeze juice out of one Apple.

Fry the onion until clear, then mush everything together. Make mush into burgers or meatballs and fry to seal, then put in the oven at 190C for 25/30 mins (The bigger they are the longer they're in) turn about half way (carefully) Serve with home cut deep fried chips and a nice Cabernet Sauvignon, I'll be up to my delicates in ice at this stage :eek:

Enjoy!

So....the ice bath, not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The worst part was getting into the cold water, adding the ice then made it a gradual torture.

15 mins in ice cold water followed by hours of walking like Robocop, I won't have to worry about having anymore children for a while, at least until my two new Adam's apples return to where they came from.:rolleyes:

3 miles in 27:25, struggled to hold back on this one so my legs are coming back to life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Best of luck with the marathon, I'll be following your result closely to see where I might have been if I hadn't taken the winter off to hibernate... Hope it goes well.

grimbergen wrote: »
    Best of luck with the marathon, I'll be following your result closely to see where I might have been if I hadn't taken the winter off to hibernate... Hope it goes well.

Thanks, long time no see!

I'm back and forth between expecting to blow up after 4 miles and lashing through in fine style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm back and forth between expecting to blow up after 4 miles and lashing through in fine style.
    You'll be grand. Work's done now, just keep sane between now and Monday! Isn't taper madness fun :D

You'll be grand. Work's done now, just keep sane between now and Monday! Isn't taper madness fun :D

Thanks J, Can't keep sane, I've already lost it. :o:D:confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I lost mine when I was 14 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

digger2d2 wrote: »

Is that why we're not supposed to talk about your uncle around you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Is that why we're not supposed to talk about your uncle around you :p

:D
    He was only resting in my account......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If you feel yourself slowing down, just think of Digger lording it over you for all time, as you pull on the pink socks!!!

How could you need more motivation :pac:

If you feel yourself slowing down, just think of Digger lording it over you for all time, as you pull on the pink socks!!!

How could you need more motivation :pac:

Can I just clarify for ya'll again that the bet, which neither myself or Digger had anything to do with drafting, is as follows - Whichever of us doesn't make sub 4 must don pink compression socks for the Dunshaughlin 10k! Whichever of us crosses the line first is irrelevant :P

That is all :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

We need to shoot the legal team who drafted that one, how could such a loophope be left wide open :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What happens if neither of you breaks 4 hours? (apart from me having several months of bragging rights)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Mrslow good luck for Monday. I'm sure you will do great.

I've just started the P&D plan for Dublin and bearing in mind you followed the same plan for Cork I'm just wondering what pace you ran your general aerobic runs at in comparison to the rest of your runs? The recommend adding on 15% to your PMP but to me this is closer to LSR pace than normal running pace.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Mrslow good luck for Monday. I'm sure you will do great.

I've just started the P&D plan for Dublin and bearing in mind you followed the same plan for Cork I'm just wondering what pace you ran your general aerobic runs at in comparison to the rest of your runs? The recommend adding on 15% to your PMP but to me this is closer to LSR pace than normal running pace.

TBH I ran by feel on those days, according to McMillan I should be running a faster marathon so I suppose it worked out that general aerobic runs were at 8:30 (PMP) most times faster. If I can offer any advice it would be to run each run as prescribed, I went out far too fast on occasion and other workouts then became much tougher, I had to drop one midweek long run as I was worn out.

The last hard weekend is really tough and is the root cause of my taper madness - 10k Race Sat followed by 16 miles Sun, reading back over, the book says to run the 16 slower than normal but I went out at normal LSR pace and have been suffering since.

I hope to be singing the praises of P&D on Monday at around 12:40/45 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Thanks for that. I'm sure you will. Will go with the flow and see how it goes this evening anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TBH I ran by feel on those days, according to McMillan I should be running a faster marathon so I suppose it worked out that general aerobic runs were at 8:30 (PMP) most times faster. If I can offer any advice it would be to run each run as prescribed, I went out far too fast on occasion and other workouts then became much tougher, I had to drop one midweek long run as I was worn out.

We did notice ;)

I would say that if you are doing your easy runs faster than PMP, then either your PMP is too slow or your easy runs are too fast (more likely the latter). When i was following P&D for DCM last year my Aerobic runs were about 8.20-8.40 pace but sometimes slower if I felt tired. My PMP was 8 min/mile.

There is a certain amount to 'feel' and you should not be too constricted by pace but if you are going faster than PMP then you are probably going too fast and will pay for it in one of the sessions later in the week.

menoscemo wrote: »
    We did notice ;)

Yes but I was very impressed with myself at the end of those runs :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can't lose what you never had...

Advertisement