Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    you could try the Chi running course, in the time before you start the next marathon cycle.

I've heard good things about that but I'm currently running the way I should, I just have to make it feel more natural and then there'll be the minefield of new runners to look forward to.
    Wow, I'm not going to give out any more about only getting 350 miles out of a pair of runners!

Might be worth looking at J, it's a vicious circle, heel strike (big impact) = worn runners (insufficent/incorrect support) = IT Band etc issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All the cool people are forefoot strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

500 miles.... I run like a light footed gazelle!

claralara wrote: »
    500 miles.... I run like a light footed gazelle!

Where's a smilie for 'laughing so much I puked' when you need it?

6.58 rain soaked miles in 56:30 average pace 8:30, spend most of this run conciously trying to stay on my toes, I didn't enjoy it!

I'm going for biomechanical analysis later in the week and possibly a run with some club for assessment and they may give me a few drills to help my running overall.

Sticking to my guns on Dunshaughlin, I know myself that I won't do myself justice. I'll run Parkwest instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sticking to my guns on Dunshaughlin, I know myself that I won't do myself justice. I'll run Parkwest instead!
    Didn't realise that was on this year :eek: Am planning to do the one in Dun Laoghaire the week after.

Didn't realise that was on this year :eek: Am planning to do the one in Dun Laoghaire the week after.

Parkwest is closer to Tallaght!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I thought they weren't running that this year... apparently some guy vomited all over the finish line last year...

Parkwest is closer to Tallaght!;)

Being honest, I think I need the extra week! 3 weeks of being welded to the couch did a number on my race fitness :(

Being honest, I think I need the extra week! 3 weeks of being welded to the couch did a number on my race fitness :(

PIBE it!

• Advertisement

I thought they weren't running that this year... apparently some guy vomited all over the finish line last year...

Tough race Mr. Ray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Wasn't me! I haven't lost any toenails to running, or puked at the finish - guess I haven't become a real runner :D

Wasn't me! I haven't lost any toenails to running, or puked at the finish - guess I haven't become a real runner :D

I haven't puked but I'm about to lose my big toenail from the same toe as I lost it last time.

For those who like a story, I got a monstrous blister under the nail in Cork which I popped so that I could run a few days later, then a shelf came out of one of the presses at home and landed on the toe, I though it was broken but it's fine. Just waiting for the nail to come off in my sock any day now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've never lost a toenail Ray :rolleyes:

Nice to see it's on again this year, especially that it's under new management beacuse The last crowd have me banned :pac:
    I'll definately do this because i live in parkwest.

Also i have to say it is literally the flattest 10k you'll find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Note to self: don't eat bananas at Parkwest 10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice to see it's on again this year, especially that it's under new management beacuse The last crowd have me banned :pac:
    I'll definately do this because i live in parkwest.

€25 euro, a bit saucy innit?

Also i have to say it is literally the flattest 10k you'll find.

What about a 10k on a track? :p

What about a 10k on a track? :p
    Sounds like a recipe for a mangled IT band :(

€25 euro, a bit saucy innit?

It is a bit. God knows what the crowd running it would be like either. At least with Eoin Ryan you know you are getting a well organised race. Still though, with the Midlands half i can't do Dunlaoghaire 10k, so this is a good option and a much fater couse i suspect.

It is a bit. God knows what the crowd running it would be like either. At least with Eoin Ryan you know you are getting a well organised race. Still though, with the Midlands half i can't do Dunlaoghaire 10k, so this is a good option and a much fater couse i suspect.

Yeah you'd be mad not to do it with it being so local, you're a cert to break 40 in that. Can you race the midlands half if you get enough pacers for it?

Can you race the midlands half if you get enough pacers for it?

That would certainly be nice if we got other pacers. Any volunteers from around these parts? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Productive afternoons at work everyone then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Because I heel strike so hard I'm shattering the support structure of the heel in the runners and as I ran Cork effectively on my toes without a problem, I'm taking their advice to use the fact that my current runners are forcing me to forefoot strike and use it as a transition to a pair suited to that.

While heel striking is obviously bad, you need to be careful not to go too far onto your forefoot. That was my problem and my heel would barely touch the ground when I was running. I say problem because it means that you're putting huge stress on your calves and in my case this was giving me injuries (at least 1 per yr). I did that chi running course and what Caitriona McKiernan advocates is a mid-foot strike and it's not an easy thing to change. It's a pricy course (€150) but I think it's money well spent, especially if it keeps you away from the physio!

Productive afternoons at work everyone then :pac:

Funny the way this forum goes quiet outside office hours from Monday to Friday isn't it, bunch of slackers the lot of you, no wonder your country is fcked :p

That would certainly be nice if we got other pacers. Any volunteers from around these parts? :)

Course is quite hilly for the first half so pacing could be fun if the weather is bad/hot. Ask me after Clontarf and i'll think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

chinguetti wrote: »
    Course is quite hilly for the first half so pacing could be fun if the weather is bad/hot. Ask me after Clontarf and i'll think about it.

Big girls blouse

RAL3 wrote: »
    Big girls blouse

Yep, i am but mainly trying to avoid pacing with Meno, wouldn't wish that on anyone:D

chinguetti wrote: »

Yeah, it's almost identical to Wexford. I Checked the website and while the profile looks bad, the actual amount of metres climbed are few. Overall there is less climbing than Wexford or Enniscorthy...

macinalli wrote: »
    While heel striking is obviously bad, you need to be careful not to go too far onto your forefoot. That was my problem and my heel would barely touch the ground when I was running. I say problem because it means that you're putting huge stress on your calves and in my case this was giving me injuries (at least 1 per yr). I did that chi running course and what Caitriona McKiernan advocates is a mid-foot strike and it's not an easy thing to change. It's a pricy course (€150) but I think it's money well spent, especially if it keeps you away from the physio!

I'm going to have it all analysed on camera at different speeds then do a session with this running group where they'll watch me run as I tire etc and put me through a few tests and hopefully come up with a safe formula to reduce my dependence on a bulky heeled runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm going to have it all analysed on camera at different speeds then do a session with this running group where they'll watch me run as I tire etc and put me through a few tests and hopefully come up with a safe formula to reduce my dependence on a bulky heeled runner.
    Translation : Im going to ask Meno what he thinks I should do in the pub on Saturday night after a few pints :pac:

• Advertisement

Translation : Im going to ask Meno what he thinks I should do in the pub on Saturday night after a few pints :pac:

Are you new? When's the last time Meno waited to be asked?

Advertisement