Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Translation : Im going to ask Meno what he thinks I should do in the pub on Saturday night after a few pints :pac:

meno has already told him on several occasions to move to lunarglides before transitioning to a minimalist trainer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Belated congrats on you run in Cork. If the race had been 27 miles long then you have been flying past me somewhere on the Grand Parade. There's a few logs now aiming for 3:30 in Dublin. I'll be following with interest. Show me how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

outforarun wrote: »
    Belated congrats on you run in Cork. If the race had been 27 miles long then you have been flying past me somewhere on the Grand Parade. There's a few logs now aiming for 3:30 in Dublin. I'll be following with interest. Show me how it's done.

Thanks and well done yourself!

At the beginning of this run I was feeling assured that I was right when telling Digger this morning that I was far from recovered after Cork, then everything fell into place.....

6.21 Miles in 45:49 average pace 7:22 min miles.

Back in February I really struggled to the end of the same distance in 45:40, but not tonight! I'd guess the fast end of my lactate threshold is now somewhere around 7:10, I'll need to get that to at least 7:00 if a convincing sub 3:30 is on the cards for DCM.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    At the beginning of this run I was feeling assured that I was right when telling Digger this morning that I was far from recovered after Cork, then everything fell into place.....

6.21 Miles in 45:49 average pace 7:22 min miles.

Back in February I really struggled to the end of the same distance in 45:40, but not tonight! I'd guess the fast end of my lactate threshold is now somewhere around 7:10, I'll need to get that to at least 7:00 if a convincing sub 3:30 is on the cards for DCM.

At 7'10 you'll be fine. I still struggle to put 7 min miles together in LT runs in training.

So what was the thinking behind that run tonight? I take it you are not racing on saturday?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    At 7'10 you'll be fine. I still struggle to put 7 min miles together in LT runs in training.

So what was the thinking behind that run tonight? I take it you are not racing on saturday?

There was no thinking about tonight I ran on feel and felt pretty good throughout, had plenty in the tank towards the end.

I'm becoming torn about the race, Dunshaughlin was my first and I spent all year looking forward to coming back and slaughtering my time. I'll decide on Saturday!

There was no thinking about tonight I ran on feel and felt pretty good throughout, had plenty in the tank towards the end.

I'm becoming torn about the race, Dunshaughlin was my first and I spent all year looking forward to coming back and slaughtering my time. I'll decide on Saturday!

I was just looking back at my log pre DCM there and My average for the LT sessions was always 7'10-7'20, creeping down towards 7'10 towards the end, so you'll be fine. I also did a few races in the summer to replace LT sessions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'll decide on Saturday!
    <Mrs Doyle Voice> GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:pac:
    I knew it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Coming back to your first, harder and faster than before... you know you want to :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

After posting a super time like that, it would be a crime not to run Dunshaughlin!!

<Mrs Doyle Voice> GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! GO ON! :pac:
    RayCun wrote: »
    :pac:
    I knew it :D
    Coming back to your first, harder and faster than before... you know you want to :cool:
    jcsmum wrote: »
    After posting a super time like that, it would be a crime not to run Dunshaughlin!!

You're all like voices in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You're all like voices in my head!

and it's not even taper week!

Dear Mr Slow

You have been registered for Dunshaughlin 10K. We wish the best of luck and hope you will enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Dear Mr Slow

You have been registered for Dunshaughlin 10K. We wish the best of luck and hope you will enjoy yourself.

You're weak that the taunts here got you to sign up:p Well i'll head into the pub to watch the match until ye all show up at the finish line.

Must say it will be odd to go to a race and not run, haven't done it in nearly 2 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

chinguetti wrote: »
    You're weak that the taunts here got you to sign up:p Well i'll head into the pub to watch the match until ye all show up at the finish line.

Must say it will be odd to go to a race and not run, haven't done it in nearly 2 years.

All the cool people are going to the race to not run. What match is on? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

All the cool people are going to the race to not run. What match is on? :confused:

Something GAA no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Louth v Meath - match last year where lad threw ball into net, dashing the hopes of Louth for first Leinster in 53 years. Ref got assualted and kids were in shock for seeing men hitting other men according to Liveline.

chinguetti wrote: »
    You're weak that the taunts here got you to sign up:p

All the taunts in the world wouldn't push me one way or the other sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

All the taunts in the world wouldn't push me one way or the other sir!

Good for you..... I on the other hand will prove I'm not for turning! Can't believe there's G ah ah on the TV and we'll be in Meath........:(

• Advertisement

The race was preceeded by a bout of reflux which denied me my night's sleep on Friday and had me considering the race for most of Saturday.

I arrived in plenty of time to collect my number and met Ray outside, after conceeding defeat to him I went inside and the usual suspect were dominating the landscape in a big ring in the middle of the floor. After a few minutes pleasantries we headed up to the start.The heat was full on and I was sweating after a 600m warm up, normally people sneer at my bottle belt on 5 and 10k races but last night the looks were wistful.

Off we went and I had Ray right beside me, within the 1st km he had moved to a strategic position behind me, waiting to push forward at the first sign of me fading. At the 3km mark I had passed loads of people and this concerned me because I thought they'd all come racing past once we hit those rises in the second half, thankfully I didn't see anyone I passed the whole race through. I passed a guy offering splashes of water just around 4k I think and gave him a look to say 'try it and you're dead', 5 mins later I was asking for water straight to the face, each blast was gloriously refreshing and dried within about 10 seconds. In the second half I couldn't go any faster, I just tried to stay in and around sub 7 mins, I wondered how close Ray was now but was afraid to look, if he wasn't there I might have slowed down, but he had to be there and only at the 6 mile mark did I chance a glance to see was he there and he wasn't, passed the boardsies with 100m to go and crossed the line in 43:41 official time (Garmin froze and I lost the race:mad:)

5 Km splits were 21:52 and 21:48 so a slight negative split, I reckon had I been in full health and on a cooler day I'd have been in the 42's but C'est la vie! Still a pb for 10k and as it was my first race ever just last year I'm delighted to have shaved 10 mins and 36 secs off of last year's time.:D

As per last year the organisation was spot on, thanks to the locals for their support and I hope this will be an annual race for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB Mr Slow, Conditions were tough last night I believe, so it was a good run. Pity I couldn't make it out to watch.

4 miles easy tonight, average pace 9:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Well done chief!
    The race was preceeded by a bout of reflux which denied me my night's sleep on Friday and had me considering the race for most of Saturday.

I arrived in plenty of time to collect my number and met Ray outside, after conceeding defeat to him I went inside and the usual suspect were dominating the landscape in a big ring in the middle of the floor. After a few minutes pleasantries we headed up to the start.The heat was full on and I was sweating after a 600m warm up, normally people sneer at my bottle belt on 5 and 10k races but last night the looks were wistful.

Off we went and I had Ray right beside me, within the 1st km he had moved to a strategic position behind me, waiting to push forward at the first sign of me fading. At the 3km mark I had passed loads of people and this concerned me because I thought they'd all come racing past once we hit those rises in the second half, thankfully I didn't see anyone I passed the whole race through. I passed a guy offering splashes of water just around 4k I think and gave him a look to say 'try it and you're dead', 5 mins later I was asking for water straight to the face, each blast was gloriously refreshing and dried within about 10 seconds. In the second half I couldn't go any faster, I just tried to stay in and around sub 7 mins, I wondered how close Ray was now but was afraid to look, if he wasn't there I might have slowed down, but he had to be there and only at the 6 mile mark did I chance a glance to see was he there and he wasn't, passed the boardsies with 100m to go and crossed the line in 43:41 official time (Garmin froze and I lost the race:mad:)

5 Km splits were 21:52 and 21:48 so a slight negative split, I reckon had I been in full health and on a cooler day I'd have been in the 42's but C'est la vie! Still a pb for 10k and as it was my first race ever just last year I'm delighted to have shaved 10 mins and 36 secs off of last year's time.:D

As per last year the organisation was spot on, thanks to the locals for their support and I hope this will be an annual race for me.

Let's just call this a tempo run :rolleyes:

6.51 miles in 47:39 Average pace 7:19 min miles.

Had I felt this good and strong on Saturday night then at least low 42 would have been a formality, I really enjoyed this run, I'm sure Cork lingers in the legs but I'm not aware of it now. :D

I've just signed up for the 5 mile in the park! I've never run one before so a pb is guaranteed.

I've just signed up for the 5 mile in the park! I've never run one before so a pb is guaranteed.

What, you mean you don't have a 5 mile PB in training? :pac:

What, you mean you don't have a 5 mile PB in training? :pac:

What's yours smarta5s?

Sportsworld, 34.24

• Advertisement

Sportsworld, 34.24

Are you running?