Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, I'm signed up for all of the race series. Don't know what I'll target in the 5 mile - under 34 maybe? Will see how I feel, and how much I lose to the Kyber at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm signed up for all of the race series. Don't know what I'll target in the 5 mile - under 34 maybe? Will see how I feel, and how much I lose to the Kyber at the end...

Not the attitude Ray, the Kyber is a pussy!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Not the attitude Ray, the Kyber is a pussy!

Weren't you one of the people talking about 'the hill' at 7k in Dunshaughlin?:pac:

Weren't you one of the people talking about 'the hill' at 7k in Dunshaughlin?:pac:

Yes but I remembered it as being much worse because the last time I ran Dunshaughlin, I had never run up a rise in my life :D, this year I passed several people on it!

Goals for 2011:
    1. Sub 20 min 5k
    2. Sub 45 min 10k Done
    3. Sub 1:40 Half (Done in training)
    4. Sub 3:50 Marathon Done

With DCM looming I don't know if I'll get in another 5k this year but I expect to lash through the series half!

• Advertisement

Rathfarnham 5k?

Rathfarnham 5k?

I knew you'd say that but OH is running that!

Get a babysitter so you can both run? There are loads of 5ks around though - there's a BHAA one in Irishtown in a couple of weeks, probably one every second week for the rest of the year.

and one in Meath next wednesday

Get a babysitter so you can both run? There are loads of 5ks around though - there's a BHAA one in Irishtown in a couple of weeks, probably one every second week for the rest of the year.

Thanks Ray, I'll have to check at home to see if my wife is happy to leave the kids with you but I can't see a problem:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

was meant to be going to a stag on the 16th but circumstances now mean that I am not.... might do the race series 5 mile instead.

Hmmmm. decisions decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Start at the front of the second wave would be my advise for a fast time.

Latecomers always jump in the first wave and are usually running in their first ever race. So they have no idea of how to run in a crowd (we were all like that once) as they have never experienced it before and remember, the deer charged across the Kyber last year causing havoc which was funny as i was 50 yards back.

If you start here, you have nearly 10 minutes of clear road and avoid the crowd. However, your race position is quite low but your time will be faster (its a quick enough course in my mind) as its a narrow enough road for the first 1.5 miles

Perkina3 wrote: »
    was meant to be going to a stag on the 16th but circumstances now mean that I am not.... might do the race series 5 mile instead.

Hmmmm. decisions decisions.

About time you showed up for a pint!!!

Ha true enough..... I keep meaning to but I was meant to be there for dunshaughlin but lectures mate.... accountancy lectures! :(

Grrrr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Two shops, neither had it in liquid form. :mad:

Two shops, neither had it in liquid form. :mad:

Powder form!!!:rolleyes:

2.3 miles with the princess on her bicycle! :D

Expected this to be as slow as bejaysus but princess had other ideas, average pace 9 min miles including stopping at every junction to scrutinise traffic! She was up at 7:30 min miles at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

2.3 miles with the princess on her bicycle! :D

Expected this to be as slow as bejaysus but princess had other ideas, average pace 9 min miles including stopping at every junction to scrutinise traffic! She was up at 7:30 min miles at one point.

That's a pretty fast cycling speed for Claralara alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Powder form!!!:rolleyes:

You said liquid, thats what my ears heard :P I got powder form anyway! :pac:

You said liquid, thats what my ears heard :P I got powder form anyway! :pac:

Of course I did, I have it in powder and I decided to fcuk with your head.:rolleyes:

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!

• Advertisement

Met Meno, Nules, Pistol and Average Runner for a stretch of the legs for a planned 8 miler, the day was so nice and the company so good even though Meno was there that I hung on for a few extra.

Garmin is fcuked, lost that run too but it was just under 11 miles in 1:38, average pace 8:54 min miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Really nice to meet you this morning... despite all the flies you seemed to attract ;)

Garmin is fcuked, lost that run too but it was just under 11 miles in 1:38, average pace 8:54 min miles.

Fix that Garmin for the morning boy or we might have to use one of our 'followers' Garmin's in the morning and you'll never live it down:D

Nules10 wrote: »
    Really nice to meet you this morning... despite all the flies you seemed to attract ;)

Can I remind you that when I rejoined ye, there was a swarm around ye, not I!!!

chinguetti wrote: »
    Fix that Garmin for the morning boy or we might have to use one of our 'followers' Garmin's in the morning and you'll never live it down:D

Garmin works fine for running, it's the uploading that's the problem. Who you callin boy?

Garmin works fine for running, it's the uploading that's the problem. Who you callin boy?

Ah thats grand. I read somewhere that your not in the Masters section yet so you must be a 'boy' or is it 'young man'?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ah thats grand. I read somewhere that your not in the Masters section yet so you must be a 'boy' or is it 'young man'?:D

He's almost as old as me.....

digger2d2 wrote: »
    He's almost as old as me.....

Wait really? I thought Mr. Slow was still in his 30's?? Thought he was like 34/35?

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Wait really? I thought Mr. Slow was still in his 30's?? Thought he was like 34/35?

I am, these old ba5tards are trying to drag me to their 'one foot in' level.

• Advertisement

My first pacing gig went really well, if you discount the fact that I held everybody up on the start line while I waited for my Garmin to find a satellite and as RQ and Meno had lost the balloons, I had to kick off with a makeshift one attached to my hat!:rolleyes:

Everything went really well, I was thinking the 11 I did yesterday would have tired me out but it wasn't an issue. The group seemed to enjoy myself and Chinguetti's double act and it would have been plain sailing only for a few misplaced markers which meant I had to run ahead to check if the next one brought us back to where we should be, once a few more markers passed we knew we were on the ball but with the heat and a high proportion of people running the half for the first time our group had thinned quite a bit coming into the home straight. Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next gig.

To mirror something in Vagga's log, last September my goal was sub 2 and today I was bouncing along chatting like bejaysus effortlessly. I wonder where I'll be next year?:D

13.24 miles in 1:59:33

Advertisement