Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Is there a bromance happening that we're not been told about:D

And whats this with the changed log title? You changed yer name there a while back too - you're like a secret agent who been demasked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Is there a bromance happening that we're not been told about:D

And whats this with the changed log title? You changed yer name there a while back too - you're like a secret agent who been demasked.

A Superhero you mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Aren't you a fcukin charmer?

10am Friday?

yeah, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry, I'm not liking the log title. :(
    But the training on here sure is impressive.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not liking the log title. :(
    But the training on here sure is impressive.

What's wrong with it?

and thanks! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

What's wrong with it?

Cos I love Maverick and Goose :D

Met Meno and RQ for a casual run around the park, good company as usual and it was quite warm out there.

9.2 miles in 1:23:45 (couldn't have planned that) average pace 9:05 min miles.

Went for a recovery run last night, 4 miles @ 9:30, it really refreshed the legs but I was wearing my new Kinvaras and started to suffer shin splints on my right leg towards the middle, not exactly great race preparation.

Arrived in plenty of time for this, praying the sun would go away and the rain would come down and my prayers were answered.

I met Digger, Claralara and Ral3 at registration which was quick and painless (registration, not the meeting, that was painless too though;))

Did a bit of a warm up with a mate and Ral3 before the heavens opened and the next 5 mins were spent under a tree. After a few strides we headed up to the start where I busied myself counting all the people who should have been further back, one woman i front of me was so excited about her first 5k that I had to move in front of her for fear of being caught behind.

The gun went off and I managed to have my Garmin turned on in time which I thought boded well for the race, as we came out of the grounds the wind picked up as we went up the short rise and I felt the pace slip a bit but assured myself I'd make it up shortly after, I passed the 1km marker in 3:57, great, bang on target, the second came at 8:00, still in with a shot but my legs were starting to wilt at this point and I was finding it very hard to push as fast as required, At the 3rd km marker I was 2/3 seconds down but it was downhill at that point and I went with it pushing hard, legs screaming at this point with Meno's voice in my head going 'You're not pushing it unless you feel like giving up at halfway' I pushed on, my mate caught up with me a few times and was on my shoulder at the 4km mark, I knew sub 20 was gone at this point but I was pushing for every second I could get, we ran in the gates of Castletown house and as we passed the 800m marker I said 'good man, press on' but he was hanging on to me by his finger nails, I mustered all my determination and resolve to push a little harder and pulled away in the last 100m to come in at 20:13, a pb by 42 secs.

I'm delighted with the race, very well organised and I did myself justice, roll on next year.

3.12 miles in 20:13 average pace 6:28 min miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great stuff, you probably needed this one but I guarantee you'll be under 20 come the next one. You're going to have to find babysitters for Rathfarnham and if not then there's the racepix 5km, very fast flat course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good run.
    I think (from my extensive experience of not running sub-20 :D) you need to be going faster in the first couple of km. You will slow down and you have to allow for it. It's not a marathon where you have to be controlled for 80% of the race, you have to go out hard enough to have momentum, to finish the 3rd k with a few seconds in the bag.
    That's the theory I'll be testing in Rathfarnham anyway, on a course that is probably worth, oh... about 14 seconds ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good man. Thats 30 secs plus off the pb. You'll do sub 20 by the year end once you get the lsr out of the way for Dublin.

I'm a bit scared that you're thinking of Meno while you run a race though. That would slow anyone down:D

RayCun wrote: »
    Good run.
    I think (from my extensive experience of not running sub-20 :D) you need to be going faster in the first couple of km. You will slow down and you have to allow for it. It's not a marathon where you have to be controlled for 80% of the race, you have to go out hard enough to have momentum, to finish the 3rd k with a few seconds in the bag.
    That's the theory I'll be testing in Rathfarnham anyway, on a course that is probably worth, oh... about 14 seconds ;)

I'd disagree here, I'd be of the camp that thinks every second gained in the first couple of km's is a couple lost in the latter ones.
    I'm a bit scared that you're thinking of Meno while you run a race though. That would slow anyone down:D

Too many LSR's with him I fear!:eek:

I'd disagree here, I'd be of the camp that thinks every second gained in the first couple of km's is a couple lost in the latter ones.

A bit of reading
    I would always have been a supporter of negative splits for all race distances, but someone sent me this yesterday, a bit of food for thought. Don't know where it came for or how robust the research was but anyway...

The surest way to blow a 5-K is to start too fast. But just how fast is too fast?

Researchers from the University of New Hampshire examined the effect of different pacing strategies on 5-K performance. Their subjects were 11 female runners from the school's cross-country team, who trained an average of 35 miles per week and had 5-K PRs ranging from 18 to 21 minutes. After running two 5-K time trials to establish a baseline pace, the subjects then completed three more 5-Ks using decidedly different pacing strategies: The subjects ran the first mile of each race either equal to, three percent faster, or six percent faster than their established baseline pace per mile. After the first mile, the subjects could change their pace to finish as quickly as possible.

The results surprised everyone familiar with the go-out-easy approach. Eight of the 11 women ran their best 5-K times (averaging 20:39) when they ran the first mile six percent faster than their baseline pace. The other three subjects posted their best times (20:52) going out three percent faster than baseline pace. The even-paced runners produced the slowest times, averaging 21:11. The faster-starting women did slow down more during the race, but the even-paced runners simply couldn't make up the time lost in a slower start.

So how is it that these runners achieved their best times by logging their first mile a seemingly suicidal 26 seconds faster than their predicted 5-K pace? According to the study, at the end of the first mile, the even-paced runners were at only 78 percent of their VO2 max, an effort level more akin to a tempo run than a 5-K race--below their potential. The three-percent and six-percent faster starts put the subjects at 82 and 83 percent of VO2 max after the first mile, which is closer to the intensity you'd expect from an experienced runner racing the first mile of a 5-K.

So should we all go out as fast as possible in every race? Not exactly. Moderately trained runners may benefit from a faster start because they're probably not starting fast enough in the first place. The researchers suggest that their study findings are probably most applicable to competitive open and master's division runners, not elites who already know how best to push themselves right from the gun or beginners who totally lack a sense of pacing. And even competitive runners shouldn't try the go-out-fast strategy in longer races, when other variables become more important than first-mile pace--like, say, finishing another 25.2 miles.

I saw that before, I dunno, you'd obviously have to be fit enough to run sub 20 to begin with because I know if I had run 3:50 or less for the first km, I'd have died before the end of the second and even if I continued at 6.28 pace I'd still have been outside 20 mins.

I saw that before, I dunno, you'd obviously have to be fit enough to run sub 20 to begin with because I know if I had run 3:50 or less for the first km, I'd have died before the end of the second and even if I continued at 6.28 pace I'd still have been outside 20 mins.

Or would you have surprised yourself and run 19:35 :D seriously

Woddle wrote: »
    Or would you have surprised yourself and run 19:35 :D seriously

Nope, I ran Dunshaughlin and the 5 mile in the park and finished knowing I could have done better, yesterday I hadnt another second to give to the course. I got the time I deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Dont beat yourself up - still a great PB..

Maybe some extra speed work in weeks leading into your next 5k and you can find that extra few seconds...

Dont beat yourself up - still a great PB..

Maybe some extra speed work in weeks leading into your next 5k and you can find that extra few seconds...

Not beating myself up at all, I'm delighted!!!:D

Today - 15.34 miles in 2:17:02 average pace 8.56 min miles.

Greetings from gloriously sunny and hot Tenerife, Los Christianos to be exact.

I´ve been doing some serious heat training and with all the bleedin hills around here I´m not even slightly concerned about the last hill in the series half now. I´ll throw up a few Garmin links when I get home just to have a look at the height profiles which include a hill that makes Knockmaroon look like a speed bump.

I´ve been running in Kinvaras too with the exception of 2 middle sized long runs and while they´re making my calves work a little harder, they´re growing on me.

I have 16 with 10 @ MP on Sunday and I expect it to be handy enough (relatively) at home given the average temp I´ve been running in has been 26 Degrees!

• Advertisement

Link to out and back route in Los Christianos!

Run in 26C!!!

Went to the park this afternoon for this, I ran the warm up 6 in Kinvaras and switched to the 1080's for the paced bit (they felt like concrete blocks initially)

I followed the Frank Duffy route for the 10 mile @ pace and found it a pretty fast course with the exception of the drag on Chesterfield and the Acres hill, my MP was about 10/12 secs per mile too fast but comfortable and the legs feel pretty fresh after it.

6 miles in 53:26 average pace 8:53

10 miles in 1:17 average pace 7:43

I forgot to mention that some bastard of a wasp stung me an the back of the knee 5.5 miles from the end....I'll get him again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to have you back. I missed you.

Good to have you back. I missed you.

Send me the bill for that and I'll fix up with you!;)

4 Mile recovery at 10 min miles, legs feel refreshed today, yesterday my hamstrings were feeling the paced run but today I'm brand new and looking forward to my 10 miler tonight with 5 @ LT.

My legs felt a little unsure on this one, my hamstrings felt tired and I was concerned about pushing them so I took the first 3.2 miles at an easy pace. Once I started running at 7 min miles it all came together, it was the easiest steady state run I've done and I could have gone on for miles, I really feel that the heat and hill training on holidays has been fantastic for me, I have 30 miles done so far this week and feel great today.

11 miles tonight and if things keep going well, I'll be at 60 odd miles by the end of the week! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

If a holiday is good for training well then I'm sold! Now, who wants to pay for a week in the sun for me?!

claralara wrote: »
    If a holiday is good for training well then I'm sold! Now, who wants to pay for a week in the sun for me?!

Enter old man Digger :D

• Advertisement

10.4 miles in 1:35 average pace 9:10 min miles last night

Legs were a bit creaky for this so I'll jump into an ice bath later:eek: , meeting spaghetti for a 5 mile recovery later which will be 5 straight days running and a total so far this week of just shy of 46 miles :D If I'm in good nick on Sunday i'll do my first 20 of the program then enjoy next weeks step back week before building up to the half. (I can't wait to race this btw;))

Advertisement