Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I had an ice bath yesterday:eek: before meeting Chinguetti for a trot in the park last night, every subject covered in record time as usual to make for a very enjoyable run.:)

5.58 miles in 50:21 average pace 9:02 min miles.

The muscles feel better but my hips and ankles are a bit unhappy, I'll see how I feel in the morning before committing to 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I had an ice bath yesterday:eek: before meeting Chinguetti for a trot in the park last night, every subject covered in record time as usual to make for a very enjoyable run.:)

5.58 miles in 50:21 average pace 9:02 min miles.

The muscles feel better but my hips and ankles are a bit unhappy, I'll see how I feel in the morning before committing to 20.

Savage mileage this week Dude and that's before tomorrow's LSR!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Savage mileage this week Dude and that's before tomorrow's LSR!

Subject to getting through it:D, I wouldn't normally run this much in one week but the holiday messed up last weekend and next week is a recovery week. I'll pull things back the following week and do a mini taper before the half.

What time are you going for?

Subject to getting through it:D, I wouldn't normally run this much in one week but the holiday messed up last weekend and next week is a recovery week. I'll pull things back the following week and do a mini taper before the half.

What time are you going for?

In the half? Sub 1:45 but at the start line that might change to sub 1:40 :confused:

In the half? Sub 1:45 but at the start line that might change to sub 1:40 :confused:

Do yourself justice, keep going!

• Advertisement

Do yourself justice, keep going!

Well, I did 7:31 min/miles in the 10 miler so trying to figure out if I could have gone another 3.1 at that pace without doing a Meno.....

Well, I did 7:31 min/miles in the 10 miler so trying to figure out if I could have gone another 3.1 at that pace without doing a Meno.....

You can!!!, for every race the last bit is the hardest, it's all in the head! (Disclaimer: except the marathon) There's 2 downhill sections in the half route, lots of ground can be made here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

You can!!!, for every race the last bit is the hardest, it's all in the head!

I can see this quote becoming a mantra for me. Like it.

Met up with Meno, Pistol, Digger and a mate of mine for my 1st 20 of DCM training. I've been training without gels this time and at around 13/14 miles my body was screaming out for one, I refused and carried on.
    Digger pushed the pace with about 3 miles to go and I followed managing to bring the overall pace down to 8:50 min miles with a few speedy ones at the end. I felt great after this and couldn't have imagined when I was shuffling through Friday night's run that I'd feel this strong at the end of a 66 mile week.

20 miles in 2:57 average pace 8:50 min miles

Last week I was on the crest of a wave, this week I'm paying for it:mad:.

12.5 miles in 1:51 average pace 8:58 min miles.

A very uncomfortable run last night, my quads and hamstrings were like blocks and I'm in a lot of discomfort this morning, I'll throw the plan out the window for the rest of the week, take tonight off and do 2 recovery runs on Fri and Sat and may even cut the LSR short on Sunday. That should see me back to myself (hopefully:o)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Only to be expected after such a big week really - step back weeks are all the rage.

Great training last week btw.

Only to be expected after such a big week really - step back weeks are all the rage.

Great training last week btw

Thanks Boss, btw loving the new caring, sharing Racoon ;)

Thanks Boss, btw loving the new caring, sharing Racoon ;)

Don't expect it to last long. I've a hard earned reputation to maintain. :D

Don't expect it to last long. I've a hard earned reputation to maintain. :D

You could have a new one!!!

Cuddly Racoon (but not in a fat way):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

How is John since last Sunday? He looked like he was done for after following you for the last few quicker miles.

You could have a new one!!!

Cuddly Racoon (but not in a fat way):D

Nice, friendly and caring? Sounds like my idea of a living hell! :cool:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    How is John since last Sunday? He looked like he was done for after following you for the last few quicker miles.

John's in the horrors today, I followed him initially but the Kyber killed him!
    Nice, friendly and caring? Sounds like my idea of a living hell! :cool:

We could all do with more love in the current climate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Last week I was on the crest of a wave, this week I'm paying for it:mad:.

12.5 miles in 1:51 average pace 8:58 min miles.

A very uncomfortable run last night, my quads and hamstrings were like blocks and I'm in a lot of discomfort this morning, I'll throw the plan out the window for the rest of the week, take tonight off and do 2 recovery runs on Fri and Sat and may even cut the LSR short on Sunday. That should see me back to myself (hopefully:o)

I wouldnt worry too much about it, not every session is going to be great. Are you taking any recovery drinks or nutrition after the hard sessions to prep you for the next one?

Aimman wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry too much about it, not every session is going to be great. Are you taking any recovery drinks or nutrition after the hard sessions to prep you for the next one?

You mean besides Miller?:D

I eat immediately after the runs, generally a few pieces of fruit and then a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes with a banana chopped in. Plenty of fluid normally water and/or Zero salt drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

You mean besides Miller?:D

I eat immediately after the runs, generally a few pieces of fruit and then a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes with a banana chopped in. Plenty of fluid normally water and/or Zero salt drink.

Might need to look into a bit of protien too, to help repair the muscles for the next round.

From what I've pick up over the last couple of years, an intake of 4:1 carbs to protein within an hour of running, but you get better results if you can take it within 20 mins. Friij Chocolate drinks are on special offer at the moment, 99c in Tescos, which will do the trick. I've recently taken to making up a chocolate Slim Fast for after the run. thats only 7:50 a tin in Tesco at the moment and makes up 12 drinks, better value then the sports recovery drinks

Might be wirth trying it out for a couple of hard sessions, and its a lovely chokkie treat after the run (ok, it doesn't beat miller in fairness)

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    Might need to look into a bit of protien too, to help repair the muscles for the next round.

From what I've pick up over the last couple of years, an intake of 4:1 carbs to protein within an hour of running, but you get better results if you can take it within 20 mins. Friij Chocolate drinks are on special offer at the moment, 99c in Tescos, which will do the trick. I've recently taken to making up a chocolate Slim Fast for after the run. thats only 7:50 a tin in Tesco at the moment and makes up 12 drinks, better value then the sports recovery drinks

Might be wirth trying it out for a couple of hard sessions, and its a lovely chokkie treat after the run (ok, it doesn't beat miller in fairness)

I used to mix up Nesquik and semi skimmed powdered milk, must start that again.

There has to be some great nutritional value in Miller, though maybe not as much as Erdinger! ;)

I've finally done it, 1,000 miles since Jan 1st!

Recovery run tonight instead of 9 with 4 @ LT, legs still not happy but better than Wednesday night, hopefully I'll be back to normal early next week and get the confidence back up for the half.:o

5.66 miles in 55:37 average pace 9:50 min miles

4 mile recovery, I stretched the legs out towards the end and there's a definite improvement but I wouldn't be able to hold a decent pace for long with the aches in my hamstrings :mad:.

I felt reasonably well this morning and decided to meet the usual suspects and limit myself to 10 miles, the first loop was 8 miles and I went out for the second one through the War Memorial Gardens telling myself I could bail at any time, I should have gone right in Chapelizod but lost in conversation went left and up Knockmaroon with the gang, I then cut straight through leaving the lads on Ordnance Rd and got back to the car at 14.63 miles :mad:, so much for planning.

Plan for this week is to keep around 10 miles for the 2 midweek runs, not include the speed session and just keep everything ticking over and if all goes well, I'll be brand new for Saturday morning where a shiny 1:3x is waiting for me.

Today: 14.63 miles in 2:11 average pace 8:58.

Legs are creaky and quite sore today, I'm most likely going to end up running the half as an MP session and if that's the case, I'll be a very unhappy chappy:(, I was really looking forward to setting a huge pb (current one is 1:53:20) I'll decide on Wednesday, the last thing I want to do is get back to full strength and then set myself back even further with the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why not just take it really easy this week - short runs, mainly at recovery pace - and race on Saturday?

RayCun wrote: »
    Why not just take it really easy this week - short runs, mainly at recovery pace - and race on Saturday?

You speak some sense sir.

I suppose I'll really only know when the gun goes off what I'm going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I've finally done it, 1,000 miles since Jan 1st!

About time...:D Haha. Well done dude, great year!

Had a painful but effective physio session at the hands of the very talented Racoon Queen today, then went for a swim with the kids.

Fingers crossed :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

RayCun wrote: »

+1
    I've just two 5 milers scheduled for the weekdays before Saturday. A recovery pace 5 to wake the legs up, and a steady pace 5 to keep them awake. Resting up on Friday.

Advertisement