Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

outforarun wrote: »
    +1
    I've just two 5 milers scheduled for the weekdays before Saturday. A recovery pace 5 to wake the legs up, and a steady pace 5 to keep them awake. Resting up on Friday.

Thanks Dude,
    I'm running 5 recovery tonight with 10 tomorrow at lsr pace, day off Thursday and 5 mile recovery Friday with a few paced strides thrown in.

What are you going for on Sat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I would say don't run 10 tomorrow, 6 max. 5 on Thursday and nothing on Friday. How are the legs by the way? Must be feeling better from the looks of it.

The legs will thank you on Saturday morn around 11.20 when you go looking for some power going down the Glen Road.

Less is more young man

chinguetti wrote: »
    I would say don't run 10 tomorrow, 6 max. 5 on Thursday and nothing on Friday. How are the legs by the way? Must be feeling better from the looks of it.

The legs will thank you on Saturday morn around 11.20 when you go looking for some power going down the Glen Road.

Less is more young man

I'm afraid to move too far away from the plan, DCM is the goal, the half is an interim one.

Plan should have been, 10 with 5 x 1,000, a 12 miler and a 5 mile recovery.

Legs are to be tested on the road later, update to follow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Plan should have been, 10 with 5 x 1,000, a 12 miler and a 5 mile recovery.

Sure you can do your 5 x 1000 the following weekend, in Rathfarnham.

RayCun wrote: »

No chance, I'm doing a course on the Sat and the boss is in the middle of teaching practice. I'd like to do it though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I was just about to say that Rathfarnam came up awfully quickly this year, until i realised its the same day as Berlin :eek:

Does this qualify as the onset of taper madness?

I was just about to say that Rathfarnam came up awfully quickly this year, until i realised its the same day as Berlin :eek:

Does this qualify as the onset of taper madness?

Absolutely!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Plans ain't set in stone. Go wild, use it as a step back week

chinguetti wrote: »
    Plans ain't set in stone. Go wild, use it as a step back week

That was last week, I've been playing it a bit loose and fast for the last month with the plan. :o I'll see how I go later and as always thanks for the advice.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

So how likely is the 1:33:30, will i be collecting 3 winning bets out of 3? :p

I might be kind and let you pick another half for the bet, but the target will be adjusted just cause i'm a prick :D

• Advertisement

1.33.30? What happened to 1.32.xx ?:p

Anyway, the problem last week was that you exceeded the plan, and you paid for it. Wouldn't it make sense to compensate this week by taking some more recovery? Especially since racing a half marathon is not part of the plan, so it's going to be a tough week overall?

I might be kind and let you pick another half for the bet, but the target will be adjusted just cause i'm a prick :D

Nice guy, I'm in the horrors at the moment, I'll discuss the bet with you on Saturday via text! ;)
    1.33.30? What happened to 1.32.xx ?:p

Anyway, the problem last week was that you exceeded the plan, and you paid for it. Wouldn't it make sense to compensate this week by taking some more recovery? Especially since racing a half marathon is not part of the plan, so it's going to be a tough week overall?

Ray, that would be very logical, however the half is one I've unfinished business with! I won't make any real decision until the gun goes off, I'll just position myself according to plan A and we'll see what happens!

Ray, that would be very logical, however the half is one I've unfinished business with! I won't make any real decision until the gun goes off, I'll just position myself according to plan A and we'll see what happens!

I'm not saying go easy in the half, I'm agreeing with Chinguetti - cut the midweek distance down so you can give the half your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Thanks Dude,
    I'm running 5 recovery tonight with 10 tomorrow at lsr pace, day off Thursday and 5 mile recovery Friday with a few paced strides thrown in.

What are you going for on Sat?

Going to try for 7:30 pace with the hope being that that will get me home with a 1:3X:XX. PB from last year is 1:40:50, but I had a really good day. I'll be disappointed if I don't get under 100 minutes.

6.08 miles in 56:13 mins average pace 9:15

It was much better than of late but still sh1te, ankles and knees are unhappy, there's some strength there in the hamstrings but not enough to sustain a decent effort for any period of time. My legs are very unhappy this morning, not sore just uncomfortable.

I have doubts now about my ability to sustain MP for the half, never mind put in a decent effort. I'm really p1ssed with myself now as I was in great condition when I came back from holidays and I've blown it!

You've got three days to recover, if you focus on recovery. One short, very slow, very easy run, just to keep the legs moving, and one day off. Ice baths, sticks, and magic pills if you insist :pac:
    You should be fine.

You've got three days to recover, if you focus on recovery. One short, very slow, very easy run, just to keep the legs moving, and one day off. Ice baths, sticks, and magic pills if you insist :pac:
    You should be fine.

RQ has suggested a few intervals just to get the legs moving again....

I haven't had a good run in 10 days and the improvements are coming much slower than usual, time to take up golf methinks:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you were a horse, we'd shoot you. :pac:

RQ has suggested a few intervals just to get the legs moving again....

Maybe a few strides, but I wouldn't do anything longer than that. Fast running hurts your legs

If you were a horse, we'd shoot you. :pac:

Given where you live and recent events there, I'm now worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Me and pete told you you'd pay for your bravado at the end of the LSR 10 days ago.
    Can't believe you are still paying for it though...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Me and pete told you you'd pay for your bravado at the end of the LSR 10 days ago.

If you've nothing constructive to add.....

Maybe a few strides, but I wouldn't do anything longer than that. Fast running hurts your legs

I did suggest intervals or strides. :pac:
    Intervals are only damaging if you go flat out - a few 'slow' 400m usually helps me the week of a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you've nothing constructive to add.....

Just that Brian says you can pay me on saturday and I'll give it to him next week in Berlin.

Given where you live and recent events there, I'm now worried.

Well apparently the nice chap who was talking to himself in my back garden last week was being chased by people with guns. He also, allegedy, kills people with hammers if you'd prefer that method? :D

Just that Brian says you can pay me on saturday and I'll give it to him next week in Berlin.

Can you give Mr. Slow his money and Brian can reimburse you?

He'll be fine, it's all in his head.

I'll deal with Brian directly but thanks for your input.
    Can you give Mr. Slow his money and Brian can reimburse you?

He'll be fine, it's all in his head.

Cuddly Racoon Rocks!

Cuddly Racoon Rocks!

:mad:

Ice Queen returns!

:mad:

Ice Queen returns!

You've exposed your soft underbelly, we're all onto you now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Tut tut tut.

I wouldn't recommend golf. Even more head wrecking believe me.

Advertisement