Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I averaged it on the phone, could be wrong alright, if you say 7:43 we'll go with that! :D

It's deffo 7:43. Only 3 miles were more that 7:45, the other 11 were under. That's what you get for not resetting your watch for the PMP miles :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's deffo 7:43. Only 3 miles were more that 7:45, the other 11 were under. That's what you get for not resetting your watch for the PMP miles :p

My charger is on the blink and reset the whole bleedin watch, I'm lucky I've a report at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Jeez, you boys are like a couple now;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

digger2d2 wrote: »

They ran past me and ignored me. They were hand in hand looking lovingly into each others eyes. No wonder they didn't see me.

They ran past me and ignored me. They were hand in hand looking lovingly into each others eyes. No wonder they didn't see me.

I've heard they are moving in together - They've already bought a puppy and called it ''Pfitzinger'' :D

• Advertisement

What goes on, on a run, stays on a run! :cool:

They ran past me and ignored me.

Would you salute you, if you were me? :confused:

RQ should have been saluting our great leader ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd bow at and kiss my own feet if I could. :p

Ah c'mon, I only ate a little while ago.:eek:

• Advertisement

Take out your bottom ribs, it worked for me ;):D

6.2 miles in 58 mins average pace 9:24.

I was lamenting the pace the whole way through this and just wanted to run but now that I'm home my legs feel great and I'm ready to take on the week!

5 mile warm up with 4 x .75 mile @ 5k current race pace.(6:28) 2.5 min recovery

I really wasn't in the humour for running last night and the wind didn't help on the out and back intervals :mad: still, I did find them relatively handy so the odds for sub 20 on the next attempt are falling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the odds for sub 20 on the next attempt are falling.

Racepix 5k? Or waiting until after the marathon?

RayCun wrote: »
    Racepix 5k? Or waiting until after the marathon?

I'll wait until after, it may even go to New Year's Day and I'll do the Tom Brennan Memorial again.

12 mile general aerobic run.

This was to be an LSR but it's pretty cold out there especially when the sun disappears mid run and I didn't want to be out there any longer than I had to.

12 miles in 1:37:25 average pace 8:04 min miles
    (First few splits are .75 mile as I forgot to change back from the intervals the other night:o)

Easy 20 my a5s, met up with Racoon, Chinguetti and ShivDCM for a windy and hilly tour of the park (Meno came along for a recovery later). I had quite a few low spots during this but finished strong, I'm still carrying a lot of work in the legs so taper should hopefully turn all that work into fitness and endurance for the big day.

20.27 miles in 3:06:10 average pace 9:10 min miles.

6.3 miles in 50:24 (8 min mile average) followed by 5 x 600m average 2:23 per lap, .3 back to the house totalling 8 miles even.

Really enjoyed this run, glutes feel quite tight along with the calves but they'll have to wait til next week to get ironed out by some deviant posing as a sports therapist.

6.3 mile recovery in 57:32 average pace 9:06.

Played air guitar for Sweet Child O Mine on this run and crooned along with Bobby Darin, really refreshed now.

I picked up Ray and Chinguetti this morning and off we went down to Donadea. Once we left the motorway we were guided in with luminous signs the whole way to the clubhouse. Registration was done in a matter of seconds and we had plenty of time to peruse all the goodies supplied in the race bags. I was given a sub 40 wrist band in error much to the amusement of Spaghetti:mad:,(next year I'll be making use of it)

Race Start: I positioned 3 rows back from the front right behind the sub 40 pen and as I was going for sub 42 figured I'd have a clean getaway, wrong:mad:. I had a bit of weaving to do and had to b1tch at some giant idiot who nearly took the head off of me by waving with both arms across my face to his supporters, I knew I was going too fast at 6:30 here but figured I'd pull it back in the next mile. I then passed the middleaged woman without a bra (seriously:eek:) bopping along like she was out for a stroll.

Miles 0 - 2: I was finding it tough to get into my stride and my breathing was quite heavy, I had to banish negativity here as the devil on my shoulder was telling me how hard this was and it's not even a goal race, just take your foot off the gas and enjoy it but I resisted and dug in.
    Splits: 6:30 and 6:48

Miles 3 - 4: Really struggling now heading towards the half way point, wishing it was all over and not caring about the guy who just passed me (I caught him later;)) I suddenly lifted myself out of self pity city and pushed hard, I had a target....there was a guy ahead of me from Raheny Shamrocks that I was neck and neck with in a 5k earlier in the year, he wasn't beating me today. I started picking people off one at a time, I didn't feel like I was going any faster but I was pushing harder.
    Splits: 6:51 and 6:48

Miles 5 - 6.2: I was in the horrors now but passed my target at 4.5 miles, I used a trick I read somewhere, (When you get to the top of a hill, no matter how bad you feel just keep pushing because most people are so relieved to get there they take a brief moment at the top to recover, if you pass someone at this point and give it that extra push it's mentally crippling for the victim) this gave me more confidence and allowed me to push harder even though the pace wasn't increasing but people were coming back to me and I was on target. The last mile was me pleading with the Gods for an end to this nightmare and telling myself how much I hated running at that pace, I snapped out of it quickly when one of my victims came back to haunt me and his heavy breathing spurred me on to push over the line at 6 min pace.
    Splits: 6:54 and 6:54

All told 41:44 and a new pb by almost 2 mins on Dunshaughlin, placing 44th out of 800+:D:D:D:D

Summary: A fast but challenging course, great organisation by Donadea AC with a fantastic spread and goodie bag - I will be back next year without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nicely done, a new PB must be a nice lift for you ahead of DCM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Super stuff, it's what your training deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice running, congrats on the PB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wow, fantastic PB, well done!

16 mile LSR last night, when I did this run pre Cork the last 6 miles felt like the end of the marathon, not so much this time, I could easily have gone on to 20. Hopefully that means I'm in great condition for DCM!

Went to our resident Sadist for a sports massage this morning, I would like to reiterate that laughing at someone's pain is unprofessional!:mad: To be fair though, she's very good at what she does!;)

16.39 miles in 2:28:09 average pace 9:02 min miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I ran Donadea in 2008 in 43 minutes, and then jogged around DCM in around 3:22 a couple of weeks later. Just saying, is all. No pressure. :)

I ran Donadea in 2008 in 43 minutes, and then jogged around DCM in around 3:22 a couple of weeks later. Just saying, is all. No pressure. :)

There's a conspiracy afoot methinks to push me into taper madness!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats good running in the 16 miles also. In great shape now for DCM!!

Thats good running in the 16 miles also. In great shape now for DCM!!

What about yourself? Still on for sub 3:30?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I will give it a lash anyhow:) Will start out with 3.30 group and run on feeling from there.

But anywhere is 3:3x and i be happy.

Advertisement