Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Random thought just entered my head. So if your aiming for 3'20 and you start at the head of wave 2 and push on at mile 5 or 6, you could (in theory) go the rest of the race without seeing another runner, assuming everyone in wave 1 runs their target time. Scary thought.

Just as well I won't be within an asses roar of 3:20 then :D, seriously though, it's a leap to think the first wave will hit their targets one and all, half will be in place @ 9am wondering where the 3:30 pacing balloons are? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck tomorrow, you'll smash the 3:30 no worries.

Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, you'll smash the 3:30 no worries.

Thanks Mister, will I see you around the 3:30 pacers in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck chief - have a good one and I will see you on a high stool in McG's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Story - where's the report...

Well done yesterday, great running and well deserved. Now get cracking on the report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

shazkea wrote: »
    Story - where's the report...

Well done yesterday, great running and well deserved. Now get cracking on the report

Too right shaz, report???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

jcsmum wrote: »
    Too right shaz, report???????

+1

And you had yesterday off work to produce a wonderful work of art?! I had to get up at 6am to get mine done before work today! :)

Congrats again bud!

I'll be blogging a Claralara style epic tale in a few days but here's the basic story.

Build up: Training went well, I deviated from the plan a little a few times but nothing major. The problem was my IBS, recently work has become a bit of a nightmare and when stressed I feel sick to my core and more importantly - weak.

I met RQ before the start and she offered her friend's office to store my bag, she also invited me for a shower there after DCM 2012 which I found very flattering:D

1- 6 miles: Immediately I was feeling pressed but tried to put it out of my mind and chat to RQ and Ray hoping after 5/6 miles things would fall into place and I'd be flying along. The heat was stifling, I thought it was just me but the 3:30 pacers were sweating buckets, this made the nausea even worse. My calves also made themselves known.

6 - halfway: Just after the 6 mile marker I passed my family and this gave me a huge boost, I was running sub 7:40 pace on the downhills at this stage trying to hold even effort and consulting my homemade pace band every 10 secs (thanks Brian), out of the park and some muppet took a bottle of water out of my hand just as it was placed there, I reached for another and he took that too!:eek:, I jabbed him in the back (gently :rolleyes:) and roared at him, the adrenaline stayed with me for a little while helping me up the hill on the way to Inchicore. The Long Mile Rd was tough, my calves were quite sore now and my right hamstring started to tighten and I reached halfway in 1:44 but at this stage I felt it was only a matter of time before I blew up.

Halfway - 20 miles: I passed Aimman near the KCR in Kimmage looking like I was feeling, shortly after that I was handed a gel with caffeine in it and out of desperation I took it! It had kicked in by Bushy Park and I flew down to Terenure but shortly after that I started to feel bankrupt of energy, it was all mechanical now and I just concentrated on keeping ahead of the 3:30 pacers, the hills didn't seem to be any worse than the flat and I passed hundreds who had stopped to walk. The crowds were fantastic but by the time I passed the 20 mile marker I was in a haze.

20 Miles - Finish: I had a moment of feeling like myself and powered down the hill to the Dual Carriageway near UCD and going over the flyover wasn't bad but once I started the downhill on the far side it felt like it was falling apart. I dug in as much as I could but I'd been digging in since the park, near the RDS Thomas Bubendorfer (3:30 pacer) came up beside me and said '5k to go' and I greeted him with a 'Fcuk' - they'd caught me, I looked around for Ray and RQ hoping to see a friendly face but they weren't there, I figured they were finding it tough too and I hoped all was well.
    I felt like dropping to the ground in the last 2 miles and with one to go Ray appeared beside me and it gave me a mental lift but nothing could make my legs go faster. I passed my family with about 600m left and I could have cried, I pushed as much as I could to get in under 3:30 and finished in 3:29:27 46 mins better than last year.

Epilogue: I've a shiny new pb on Cork (14 mins) but I've never experienced as tough a race, I was fit enough for a comfortable 3:30 at least the first half should have been comfortable but mile for mile this was tougher than the Half in the Park. I'm still very sore today and won't be running anytime soon.

Great to see everyone afterwards in the pub and was glad to give Shaz and the gang a good laugh everytime I got up to go to the loo!

To those who advised me behind the scenes, thank you!

How I managed to raise my arms I don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great report Mr. Slow and well done again!
    Now off you go and fix that Marathon PB time on your blog!!:D

Brilliant, well done again again again! My finishing photos are gas - I was practically skipping :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

claralara wrote: »
    Brilliant, well done again again again! My finishing photos are gas - I was practically skipping :)

I wonder if they're as good as the videos from the pub... :D

I wonder if they're as good as the videos from the pub... :D

Dear Lord... Vodka and red bull why?! I already had wings!!

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2011/Dublin%20Marathon&photo=LOTJ1424&match=4998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

claralara wrote: »

Prize for the most drunk boardsie goes to you that for sure :D

As for the most drunk boardsie on Sunday night, no comment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A tough race, but you hung on at the end, and you got your sub 3.30 and that was the main target

that you copied from me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As for the most drunk boardsie on Sunday night, no comment :rolleyes:
    Nobody forced you to the pub :pac:

belcarra wrote: »
    Great report Mr. Slow and well done again!
    Now off you go and fix that Marathon PB time on your blog!!:D

Corrected! :o

RayCun wrote: »
    A tough race, but you hung on at the end, and you got your sub 3.30 and that was the main target

that you copied from me :pac:

Just don't get used to passing me out! :P

What's there to say only well done again, what a difference a year makes. It's mind blowing what you achieved on Monday. It's a pity you didn't enjoy it as much as you should have but it's a Fantastic time.

What's there to say only well done again, what a difference a year makes. It's mind blowing what you achieved on Monday. It's a pity you didn't enjoy it as much as you should have but it's a Fantastic time.

I should be over the moon,I know - I suppose I just feel the reward doesn't match the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

it's just the post-marathon blues - three months of training built up to that race, and you're living through the anti-climax. in a couple of weeks you'll be running again, looking forward to Waterford, and proud of your 3.29.

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »

I should be over the moon,I know - I suppose I just feel the reward doesn't match the effort.

I was trying to think of a comforting reply but everything I was about to write sounds a bit condescending.
    If it makes you feel any better I didn't enjoy the race either despite my time. Last year was great.
    Next marathon will be better.....

RayCun wrote: »
    it's just the post-marathon blues - three months of training built up to that race, and you're living through the anti-climax. in a couple of weeks you'll be running again, looking forward to Waterford, and proud of your 3.29.

I was on a high after Cork, grinning in the cold water bath after the race. This was different.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I was on a high after Cork, grinning in the cold water bath after the race. This was different.:)

I know that feeling all too well, what you need is to take it easy next couple of weeks and then go hammer a PB in 5km and 10km, finish the year on a real high.
    I thought you were going to run sub 3:20 but it wasn't the day for it, you set a great PB and I've no doubt you're going to do a krusty and set PB after PB. Now go enjoy that sub 3:30 and stop your moping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great race and report also good to put a face to the name in McGrattans.

Woddle wrote: »
    I know that feeling all too well, what you need is to take it easy next couple of weeks and then go hammer a PB in 5km and 10km, finish the year on a real high.
    I thought you were going to run sub 3:20 but it wasn't the day for it, you set a great PB and I've no doubt you're going to do a krusty and set PB after PB. Now go enjoy that sub 3:30 and stop your moping :D

You're right of course, bring on the next one.
    Great race and report also good to put a face to the name in McGrattans.

You too, did you manage to beat Meno off of the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Huge improvement in 12 months and there is definitely a lot more improvement to come if you keep the dedication up that you did this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great to see everyone afterwards in the pub and was glad to give Shaz and the gang a good laugh everytime I got up to go to the loo!

:D - it was like Return of the Living Dead in the pub afterwards, very entertaining.
    Why do I think karma is going to give me a gigantic smack soon for laughing at all of you!

Report was worth the wait ;)

shazkea wrote: »
    :D - it was like Return of the Living Dead in the pub afterwards, very entertaining.
    Why do I think karma is going to give me a gigantic smack soon for laughing at all of you!

Report was worth the wait ;)

Well missus, your day will come and when it does .....teu42.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Just to report that myself, RAL3 and Mrs RAL3 were last out of the pub at closing time.

The rest of ye are lightweights:D

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Just to report that myself, RAL3 and Mrs RAL3 were last out of the pub at closing time.

The rest of ye are lightweights:D

Yourself and Ral3 went back to your respective homes for hours, us hardcore types crawled straight to the pub, then stayed there. It's like chip times and gun times, we win!:D

Advertisement