Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Month| Miles
    January|163 Sarky comments on Meno's log|
    February||
    March||
    April||
    May||
    June||
    July||
    August||
    September||
    October||
    November||
    December||
    Total||

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Month| Miles
    January|163 Sarky comments on Meno's log|
    February||
    March||
    April||
    May||
    June||
    July||
    August||
    September||
    October||
    November||
    December||
    Total||

:eek:

That was December! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Will you be making an appearance at any group runs one of thse days?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Will you be making an appearance at any group runs one of thse days?

I will indeed, my better half is on teaching practice at the moment which means she's either teaching or planning lessons 24/7 which leaves me a single parent.

I might see ya'll Saturday week!

I collected a motley crew of boardsies this morning and off we went 'down de country'. We landed in Enniscorthy with over an hour to spare and spent the time asking jcsmum to stop being so critical of the other runners appearances. (She was getting very worked up about two girls in particular with their race numbers on their backs and under their jackets):D

Boom, the gun goes and I was under orders to stay at 7 min miles for the first mile given the rise and to be honest, I don't think I'd have gone much faster anyway. The first mile whizzed by and a mate of mine pulled ahead, I'll catch him later I thought :rolleyes: once we broke the crest of the hill there was a slight downhill and a bit of a reprieve, I was at 6:25ish here and pulled back as I knew there were a few 'rises' to come. Up and down we went and coming up to 5k I was feeling very strong as I flew down the hill sneaking a glance at the watch, 5:40 pace :eek: (start of the mile), I rounded the corner to be greeted with a military hill type of rise and it sucked the life blood out of me. I pushed hard here to shake a guy who had been either tailing me or running beside me since the start, he was breathing like he'd just been fished out of the sea and it was really bugging me. I lost him on that hill but I was close to puking and recovery just didn't seem to be coming once I'd conquered it, once it eventually arrived I was greeted with another hill, where were those hills I'd run up in the first half? Christ this is hard, I hate running at this pace, why am I putting myself through this? By 5 miles I was feeling it, still on a drag my stride had shortened and I was working hard to keep the pace going. Just before the six mile mark the downhill came and the pace quickened, crowds appeared from nowhere and they were brilliant, roaring at every runner and I rounded the corner to the finish suddenly feeling very stong and tearing up and across the line (at 5:32 pace) in 41:15 by the Garmin, 41:17 by the chip, 90th out of 520 odd.

Thanks to Ecoli for his advice and patience while I was recovering from my bout of fatigue, today's race was a 29 second pb and proof if I needed it that I'm back.:D

Thanks also to all at Slaney Olympic AC, we were given a great welcome and the spread afterwards was first class, well marshalled with stewards at every junction, I'll do this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

He's well and truly back!!

Again, well done, but stop slurring my good name if those girls want to wear their numbers on their backs then that is their perogative. Some people are so pass- remarkable!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Begod, its like an updated version of the Six Million Dollar Man in Euro:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Said in my best Shrek voice (before anyones head ventures into the gutter)...that'll do donkey, that'll do

Well done Sir. Good to see you back. Has the new coach got you to do away with the water belt over the shorter distances :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Slaney Olympic are a very good club, they do alot of good races down there.

Just checking results a friend of mine came 7th. A good time of 32:43

• Advertisement

Well done Sir. Good to see you back. Has the new coach got you to do away with the water belt over the shorter distances :rolleyes:

I've done that myself Mister!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fine running Mr. Slow! Great way to announce your return to health/fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good man and well done - congrats on the return to racing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice going, Mr S. The way you tell it, there's still some potential lurking in there to beat that time, given a less bumpy course.

I always thought Wexford (or Wexico, as we Wicklow people have been known to call it, as it's south of the river) was flattish...but not by the sound of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the 10k, great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Super job, delighted for you.
    A couple of things though could you stick the garmin link up in the Race profiles thread or is it OK for me to do it?
    Also are you following Hadd? or other and if so any more info, which leads me to the last, why not start logging again. If I'm being honest I want to know what my rivals are doing I miss reading your log.

Woddle wrote: »
    Super job, delighted for you.
    A couple of things though could you stick the garmin link up in the Race profiles thread or is it OK for me to do it?
    Also are you following Hadd? or other and if so any more info, which leads me to the last, why not start logging again. If I'm being honest I want to know what my rivals are doing I miss reading your log.

Thanks D, you can work away with the link.

My training for the last 6 weeks has been base building and aerobic at heart, lots of easy paced miles with a sprinkle of threshold and progression work, I'd love to keep you informed but with all the training, I just don't have the time!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Mr Slow wrote: »
    My training for the last 6 weeks has been base building and aerobic at heart, lots of easy paced miles with a sprinkle of threshold and progression work, !

Does this mean sub-41 next time, if you targeted same?:)

slowsteady wrote: »
    Does this mean sub-41 next time, if you targeted same?:)

I think if I ran Dunshaughlin instead of Enniscorthy on the day, sub 41 would have been the result. Next target? Mallow 10 mile and sub 70. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done Dude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again on the 10k and big return dudette!

Month| Miles
    January|167.13|
    February|161.45|
    March||
    April||
    May||
    June||
    July||
    August||
    September||
    October||
    November||
    December||
    Total||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

A post in your log...we're not worthy ;)

jcsmum wrote: »

Oooh, that hurts;-)

Oooh, that hurts;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not worthy of details, that's for sure :pac:

Training seems to have dropped off in the last month :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Training seems to have dropped off in the last month :)

2 less days in the month;) Ticking away nicely:D

ecoli wrote: »
    2 less days in the month;) Ticking away nicely:D

Your the only one that knows that Ecoli ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Oooh, that hurts;-)

What hurts is that you ran more miles than me in February. February definitely feels like a massive fail now. :(

Advertisement