Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Oooh, that hurts;-)

What hurts is that you ran more miles than me in February. February definitely feels like a massive fail now. :(

You ran an ultra, stop being so hard on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's not a real ultra, just a marathon with a cool down ;)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    ecoli wrote: »
    2 less days in the month;) Ticking away nicely:D

Your the only one that knows that Ecoli ;)

Not true, I know too! :-)

menoscemo wrote: »

That's not a real ultra, just a marathon with a cool down ;)

You're right of course, an ultra is double marathon distance! :-D

Was looking forward to this as a goal race all year but alas a virus and subsequent stress fatigue over the last 2 weeks put paid to that.

On Saturday, there was no way I was running, on Sunday I was thinking maybe an easy run but by yesterday morning I was thinking Progression or Steady State. I met up with a bunch of Boardsies at stupid o'clock in Heuston, everyone in good form, even a snarling Shazkea (Doesn't like morning apparently) and off we went.

We landed nice and early in Mallow and strolled up to register, that done and it was off to the Chemist for 3 of us to sort out our collection of 'do not run if you're suffering from the following' ailments.

After a shambolic start which came to a stop at one point we were off, I had lined up beside the sub 70 pacers and figured I'd cruise around with them, I didn't want to push myself at all in this race but wanted to pb nonetheless so I turned the Garmin to HR and when I saw 175 I knew I was still unwell (160 gives me 7:07 pace in training) so I decided to stay below that and forget about pace. I met Vagga and after he tried to hug me I ran away and linked up with RQ who tried to ignore me so I elbowed her into submission. Once my Chinguetti act was over I cruised along, I really enjoyed the downhill section and popped a gel just before 3 miles which prompted two locals to comment on how early it was and would I make it to the finish, I turned to face them and smiled determined that no matter what happened, those lads weren't passing me.

After a mess at the 4 mile water station we were out on the open road with a pretty stiff wind and nobody to shelter behind so I just focused on the hr, staying at 174, I knew by my breathing when it went up by 2 beats at this stage so after a while just ran by feel, it never felt very difficult but if I had pushed harder I think I may have blown up as well as making myself sick again.

It was pretty uneventful and at 9.5 miles I picked up the pace and passed about 20 people coming in at 72:01, pb by 2:21 on last year but about 4 mins 2 secs off of what I should have done all things being equal.

Great day out with the Boardsies and there were some images conveyed on the train that will keep me awake for nights to come, thanks Jcsmum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great report and a PB is a Pb....don't worry some day you'll reach your full potential;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Me snarling, will I never was soooo insulted in all my life...oh no wait, I was multiple times yesterday :D. AND that was not morning, that was the middle of the bloody night on a bank holiday!

Congrats on the PB, a great run considering everything.

shazkea wrote: »
    Me snarling, will I never was soooo insulted in all my life...oh no wait, I was multiple times yesterday :D. AND that was not morning, that was the middle of the bloody night on a bank holiday!

Congrats on the PB, a great run considering everything.

Thanks Boss.;)

Next road trip......Limerick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Another PB horse.. Well done - Will you print me out a set of the photos from the train ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Another PB horse.. Well done - Will you print me out a set of the photos from the train ;)

Thanks Dude, I would but what goes on tour......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done on the pb, hope you're feeling better soon. Would I be right in assuming the comment passing locals didn't get past you before the finish? :D

racheljev wrote: »
    Well done on the pb, hope you're feeling better soon. Would I be right in assuming the comment passing locals didn't get past you before the finish? :D

Thanks Rachel, I didn't see them again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again bud! Great time, and there's obviously more for the taking there :)
    Thanks Dude, I would but what goes on tour......;)

....lasts for at least a year apparently... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and if I don't see some training in here then it gets changed to something less complimentary ;):pac:

Have a cup of coffee, this may take a while.;)

Firstly, yesterday I went off on my tod or tobler as our well to do trail blazer would call it down to the beautiful surrounds of Clongowes private school in Clane for the inaugural running of the Clongowes 5k.

It was a crisp but a beautiful morning, I had no idea what way the course went and I didn't really care, I was there to break 20 mins and I was determined that I was going to do it. I had been suffering from Stress Fatigue again throughout March following the liquidation of the company I was working for and the subsequent legal battle that ensued between my former employer and myself, thankfully I won and am now in business for myself but there were many sleepless nights and feck all training done.

Prior to the start there were several warnings that the front was for sub 20 runners, it was the first time I was categorised as elite and it made me smile but also I liked it and some day it would be nice to actually deserve the title. The gun went off and within 2 secs I was across the mat, it was uphill for about 300m and we left the grounds via the south gate, the next few km's were along a drag similar to Chesterfield avenue and the sun was starting to beat down, I hit each marker dead on target and was feeling pretty good. At about the 3km mark my stride had shortened and out of nowhere I was in difficulty. I tried to dig in and stay with the guy I had been shadowing but couldn't, he pulled away and I was cursing, telling myself to get it together, I'm fitter than that guy, but I wasn't, he had put in the training, I hadn't. At the 4.2km point we reentered the grounds by the North entrance through a beautiful stone archway and looking down the straight half mile to the finish may aswell have been the last 6 miles of the marathon. I was close to puking and could not push any harder and I didn't want to, tick tick tick time had run out and I crossed the line in 20:01 by the Garmin which in fairness is Karma sorting me out for slagging Digger for having the same result by texting 'Could you not have found another 2 seconds in the whole course?' lesson learned!;)

I was 28th across the line so everything looked organised at the finish except that there was no water, they had allocated one 330ml bottle for each entrant and you only got your water once you had returned your chip back at registration, something to address for next year especially on a hot day.

The rest of yesterday I was kicking myself and spent a while going back and forth with Ecoli demonstrating great patience with his petulant coachee and reminding me of the positives ie 12 second pb and how training had gone overall, Thanks:)

So to today, I licked my wounds and set off on my prescribed 13 miles easy, I took the morning off work and headed out into the countryside to blow off the cobwebs and hear my footfall in quieter surrounds, it was the best run I've done this year, everything came together which I desperately needed, running was becoming a chore and I was losing motivation and hated feeling like that but after today I've had a taste of the runners high again and I want more. The next few weeks will be in preparation for pacing Limerick while building for Dunshaughlin, I don't have a time goal yet but we'll see how training goes, the most important thing is that I'm focused and not getting dragged down again, onwards and upwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    and if I don't see some training in here then it gets changed to something less complimentary ;):pac:

What was the last one called? :confused:

I've already posted training in the above!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Lovely post, nearly brought a tear to my eye ;)
    Great run in spite of lack of training, work stress etc.... thing is, you know that second (and many more) are in you and a sub 20 is a given.

What was the last one called? :confused:

Can't remember - "Trying to catch Ray"?
    Next will be "Trying to catch ClaraLara"
    :D

Can't remember - "Trying to catch Ray"?
    Next will be "Trying to catch ClaraLara"
    :D

Now that you've moved into the dinosaur category you're no longer a target, there'd be no victory in crushing some oul fella having one last go before being sent to the knacker's yard. :D

As for Ms Claralara, once she inevitably passes me, I'll just have to get used to running behind her, gremlins and all.:eek:

• Advertisement

Are you running the K club, or is it all long runs next month to prep for Limerick?

Are you running the K club, or is it all long runs next month to prep for Limerick?

I can't run the K Club, the boss is facing her final exams so I'll be a single Father again for a few weeks, I might come down with the kids to cheer ya'll on though.

As for training:

Monday 13 miles easy

Tuesday 4 miles recovery

Wednesday 2 miles easy, 4 miles Tempo, 2 miles easy (160-165 bpm for the tempo)

Thursday 8 miles easy

Friday OFF

Saturday 2 miles easy, 10x600m @ 10k pace with 1 min recovery 2 miles easy

Sunday 14 miles easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tut, tut...what was a 20:01 plodder doing in the elite section??;)

Month| Miles
    January|167.13|
    February|161.45|
    March|88.23|
    April||
    May||
    June||
    July||
    August||
    September||
    October||
    November||
    December||
    Total|416.81|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Firstly, stop changing your log name. Tis going to start another round of tit-for-tat log name changing now and it will just get messy again, trying to remember who has what log.

Anyway, the sub 20 will come, its a matter of time. It took me 18 months and 10 attempts to knock 1 second off and then did it by 34 seconds. if it was easy, everyone would be doing and where's the fun in achieving something if there's no pain?

If you did something wrong, learn from it but from reading it, it just wasn't yesterday. You've had a lot of stuff on recently so that does affect you when you put yourself in a race situation. Donroe and Bohermeen are on in early June so thats two 5ks that you could aim at.

Now go forth and run.

chinguetti wrote: »
    If you did something wrong, learn from it but from reading it, it just wasn't yesterday. You've had a lot of stuff on recently so that does affect you when you put yourself in a race situation.

This.

Would have been targeting sub 20 myself but knew it wasn't a day for it.

And jeepers even I ran more miles than you in March. That makes me feel better. :D

chinguetti wrote: »
    If you did something wrong, learn from it but from reading it, it just wasn't yesterday. You've had a lot of stuff on recently so that does affect you when you put yourself in a race situation.

This.

Would have been targeting sub 20 myself but knew it wasn't a day for it.

And jeepers even I ran more miles than you in March. That makes me feel better. :D

More like you didn't want to roll out of the leaba at that hour even though you were to be chauffeur driven to and from.

@ Chinguetti one has to embrace change, if there were no change there'd be no butterflies.

More like you didn't want to roll out of the leaba at that hour even though you were to be chauffeur driven to and from.

@ Chinguetti one has to embrace change, if there were no change there'd be no butterflies.

I was up at 8am yesterday :p and 6:30 on Saturday :p if you ran 20:01 on that course when you're in better shape than me I'd have been luck to break 21.

I was up at 8am yesterday :p and 6:30 on Saturday :p if you ran 20:01 on that course when you're in better shape than me I'd have been luck to break 21.

Who said I'm in better shape? I had to take a nap like an oul fella on Saturday, no offence to Ray and Digger, nothing wrong with old people. You underestimate yourself boss.

• Advertisement

Who said I'm in better shape? I had to take a nap like an oul fella on Saturday, no offence to Ray and Digger, nothing wrong with old people. You underestimate yourself boss.

So did I. Welcome to my world, I take a nap more or less every day, wouldn't be able to train at all if I didn't. :)

But we're both crocked and you're older than me. Worse for you, you've no chance. :P

Advertisement