Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

8.04 Miles easy, Average pace 8.44 HR 145

Muscles are a little tender in spots, the hr is near enough to normal for the effort but I know a speed session would lead to injury but that said I'm very happy with my recovery from Sunday and hopefully the new way of tackling the fatigue is paying dividends. :)

6.5 miles at 9 min miles last night just to get things moving again, a throat infection knocked me out of any running for the last week and with the Cork session nearing I'm taking no chances so the 5k on Sunday won't happen.
    In other news I seem to be getting a handle on the fatigue.

8.29 miles average pace 8:18 average hr 149

Found this a bit of work, the virus from the throat infection hasn't completely gone as indicated by the elevated hr, I was to do 16 in the morning but I'll postpone this til Monday when touch wood I'll be fully recovered.

Question! What do you call taper when there's no training to taper from?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Dossing? ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Dossing? ;)

I asked for that! :(

• Advertisement

14 miles average pace 8:40 average HR 144

Who'd have thought that carrying a 3.5 stone youngfella around Disneyland on your shoulders for 4 days would be taxing?! Turns out it is and 7 miles from home and slightly lost somewhere on this road between Dunboyne and Leixlip I was realising just how much. When I came to a crossroads offering salvation within 4km I was sorely tempted but took the long road into Leixlip and then trudged the last 4 down the canal watching the pace fall well slower than 9 min pace while the hr remained constant.

The body is fine and I'm almost out of the woods with the virus, the legs however are in ribbons and there'll be a few recovery paced runs before I think about doing anything arduous anytime soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jaypurs. Even I'm in better shape than you. Maybe old age is starting to creep in?

Jaypurs. Even I'm in better shape than you. Maybe old age is starting to creep in?

I'm just a bit broken at the moment but watch this space......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mr Slow wrote: »

I've been saying that for two years. :pac:

I've been saying that for two years. :pac:

You're due a return to greatness then!

• Advertisement

An afternoon 4.25 mile recovery in the sunshine, happiness is...

8 miles easy in de heat, loved this run and boy did I sweat, took to the country roads and left the sounds at home. Average pace 8:18 average Hr 153

I'll have to run Cork on hr if this heat remains a la Krusty's epic Boston run.

My new Garmin 210 arrived yesterday, I'm in love, it does a lot more than the 110 and is prettier:). Went for .75 of a mile with the kids last night to road test it, it gives options for current pace, lap pace and overall pace which will be very useful going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That will be handy for Cork ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

My new Garmin 210 arrived yesterday, I'm in love, it does a lot more than the 110 and is prettier:). Went for .75 of a mile with the kids last night to road test it, it gives options for current pace, lap pace and overall pace which will be very useful going forward.

The fact that you can only see lap or overall average pace is one thing that is starting to annoy me about the 110 - I want both! Apart from that I've been, and am, pretty happy with it for the last 18 months. How much did that puppy set you back?

jcsmum wrote: »
    That will be handy for Cork ;)

smiley-sport033.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

claralara wrote: »
    The fact that you can only see lap or overall average pace is one thing that is starting to annoy me about the 110 - I want both! Apart from that I've been, and am, pretty happy with it for the last 18 months. How much did that puppy set you back?

Get a 405 :)

€190 including delivery, it's a lovely piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Get a 405 :)

Is that not the massive one that weighs down your arm and makes you run like a neanderthal 2mins/mile slower than you’re capable of?! ;)

I'm pretty broke… don’t think I can jusitfy spending money until the 110 is dead and buried :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is that not the massive one that weighs down your arm and makes you run like a neanderthal 2mins/mile slower than you’re capable of?! ;)

You're thinking of the 305, the height of 1980's technology. The 405 is the one with the fancy bezel that doesn't work ;)

• Advertisement

I'm pretty broke… don’t think I can jusitfy spending money until the 110 is dead and buried :(

:pac:

Can you not sell one of the staff?

Current pace wrecked my head a bit on this:mad:, think it's just for intervals :rolleyes:

It's great training weather out there, the heart gets a better work out for the pace saving the legs.:D

5.63 miles average pace 8:09 average hr 153 :eek:

(my son picked all the 'faces' and it was easier to just go along with it):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Current pace wrecked my head a bit on this:mad:, think it's just for intervals :rolleyes:

lap pace ftw, current pace too erratic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    lap pace ftw, current pace too erratic

+1 Current pace means nothing. If you turn a corner and lose sattelite your lap pace drops and then picks up again when it finds the sattelites. Neither readings have anything to do with your actual pace..

My default is to set laps to 1 mile and set pace to pace/lap. This tells you the pace you will finish each mile in (particualrly useful when you are pacing a race).

Even on intervals I keep pace at pace/lap as current pace can go a bit wonky on the bends.

Yesterday, 2pm 24C :eek: Hot!!!

10.08 miles average pace 9:03 average hr 145

Great training weather but by God this was heavy going, I ran from the house over through St Catherines Pk in Lucan stopping here after 3.5 miles to douse myself in water from the stream and continued on out the Lucan gate and on into Leixlip where I ran up the hill in the middle of the village to looks of 'Check out the lunatic', that was tough and I had to stop at the top to take some water, water I had been rationing sparingly thoughout the run. Back onto the canal at Leixlip Station and back home stopping twice in the shade to regroup.

Wouldn't fancy this weather for Cork :(

6.1 miles at 9.09 pace, hr 137

Either the heat is getting to me or my running fitness has evaporated :o, we'll work on the basis that it's the heat and to that end I intend to put a Child of Prague outside and upside down on the night before the Cork marathon, that, and a runner's rain dance requesting a cool morning and not actual rain should ensure perfect racing conditions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

or you might just be getting old.:rolleyes:.....its not that warm out there this evening:D

Younganne wrote: »
    or you might just be getting old.:rolleyes:.....its not that warm out there this evening:D

People in glass houses......:P:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Check out my user name...i'm Young:D

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »

Check out my user name...i'm Young:D

Usernames can be misleading.......