Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's allowed as long as it doesn't impact on your Donadea race, go on, you know you want to. :)

Somebody make the bad man stop...please :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Somebody make the bad man stop...please :(

Put him on your ignore list.

He hates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Who said that?

Ro wouldn't ignore me, that's not the way ladies behave. :-)

Who said that?

Ro wouldn't ignore me, that's not the way ladies behave. :-)

If anyone's looking for me I'll be hanging out on another log....any log....just not this one.

6.27 miles easy, hr monitor died early but ran nice and easy by feel. I'm on an upward curve at the moment so didn't want to push it even though for the first time in a while I felt like there were gears to go up.:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Its such a shame when we have "elitist cliques" are organisating secret runs while next to nothing gets posted on boards training runs...

/waves white paper and shouts SHAME! :mad:

:pac:

I don’t see what your problem is… you’re nowhere to be seen on group runs since you discovered the delights of the afternoon… ;):pac:

9.56 miles average pace 8:30 hr 146, legs feeling a little heavy after the week's preparation for today's momentus occasion, my Sarah's 7th birthday party :).

It was a good run with a few rises and drags thrown in for good measure, the upward curve continues.

4.5 miles recovery, 6 x 120m strides raised elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

9.56 miles average pace 8:30 hr 146, legs feeling a little heavy after the week's preparation for today's momentus occasion, my Sarah's 7th birthday party :).

It was a good run with a few rises and drags thrown in for good measure, the upward curve continues.

J is wondering if his invitation got lost in the post.

jcsmum wrote: »

J is wondering if his invitation got lost in the post.

Text Sent.

• Advertisement

9.92 Miles average pace 8:47 average hr 154 :eek:

Met Meno in the park today, heat was savage and the warm wind didn't help, I was working from the off but the banter kept me occupied.

Anyone else die out there today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

9.92 Miles average pace 8:47 average hr 154 :eek:

Met Meno in the park today, heat was savage and the warm wind didn't help, I was working from the off but the banter kept me occupied.

Anyone else die out there today?

I was dreading it driving home with 24c showing in the car. Needn't have worried, started lashing when I got out the door

10.46 miles average pace 8:39 average hr 143

The run with Meno on Monday was such an effort I thought I had taken a huge step backwards but tonight's run was fine, a little shaky to start but I felt strong and happy to the end. I'll do a recovery tomorrow in preparation for the Donadea 5k on Friday evening.

On the subject of the race, I'm considering going hell for leather in the first half and trying to hang on to a reasonable pace in the second, the closest I've gotten to sub 20 (20:01) was when I ran the first mile in 6:1x, if it doesn't work, I've lost nothing methinks because I've never been able to pick it up in the last mile of a 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I told you that months ago :)
    You don't need to go mad at the start, but your middle ks, or middle mile, <b>will</b> be slower than your start and finish. So if you hold yourself at 6.23 for your first mile, or 3.59 for your first k, you'll be off target by the halfway mark.

RayCun wrote: »
    I told you that months ago :)
    You don't need to go mad at the start, but your middle ks, or middle mile, <b>will</b> be slower than your start and finish. So if you hold yourself at 6.23 for your first mile, or 3.59 for your first k, you'll be off target by the halfway mark.

Maybe you should have stressed the point ffs :-P

We shall see what transpires!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well if Ray didn't stress it, i have cause i'm the kinda fella that can harp on the one point for ages.:rolleyes:

4.10 for the first km will get you a sub 20. Any faster and you're in trouble as its the 3rd and 4th kms are where people lose it, not at the end. You go out too fast and i bet you its those kms where you're splits will suffer. Always find that part of a 5kms the worse

Good luck and hope you get it.

You're doing Donadea? You could have informed the rest of us as to when this race was on :)

chinguetti wrote: »
    4.10 for the first km will get you a sub 20. Any faster and you're in trouble as its the 3rd and 4th kms are where people lose it, not at the end.

Not everyone likes to start at the back and work their way through the whole field :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Ditch the watch and just run hard. Your capable of going well under the 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

RayCun wrote: »
    Not everyone likes to start at the back and work their way through the whole field :)

Ah don't knock it Ray until you tried it.

It keeps the pace down at the start, you pass loads of people and you can have a chat with a few people you know as you past them by. you also get nice looks from people you don't know as you ask if anyone is going for a pint later.

I call it 'how to get value out of a race':D

• Advertisement

Ray says go fast in the first mile, Chinguetti says go slow, what to do?:eek:

Go medium.

Go medium.

That's not helpful, don't you have a motorist to assault? :pac:

Ray says go fast in the first mile, Chinguetti says go slow, what to do?:eek:

Ask meno :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Go by feel, go out hard but you should feel that its easy at 1k , 2k should feel hard. You should want to give up at 3k but dig in and get sick at 5k... i'd go with ray btw.

I would never assault anyone. I'm a nice, peaceful, calm young lady.

I would never assault anyone. I'm a nice, peaceful, calm young lady.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Thanks Medbh, I haven't laughed like that in a while :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm not sure on why you are looking for advise. You'll do what you want anyway 'mister I'm going to race every 5k I can find even though I'm feeling like crap'
    ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm not sure on why you are looking for advise. You'll do what you want anyway 'mister I'm going to race every 5k I can find even though I'm feeling like crap'
    ;)

I didn't ask for advice, I proposed a strategy for the race and people entered into discussion on it as is the nature of a public forum. :P

Also don't be looking down your nose at me 'Missus poacher turned gamekeeper' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Basically dont do what you did in the past!!

5k is a tough mental race and what we do in training to help is the following:

Do a 10 min fast tempo, and i mean fast, take a 10 min break and do another fast 10 min tempo pace run. So try 4:05-4:10 pace.

Best way to know if you do this right. Start at point A and run till your 10 mins is up. And then run back and u should finish at point A, if your short you went too hard, if your long you didnt go fast enough!!

I am thinking about doing Dublin and using a 12 weeks schedule!!!

Advertisement