Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Basically dont do what you did in the past!!

5k is a tough mental race and what we do in training to help is the following:

Do a 10 min fast tempo, and i mean fast, take a 10 min break and do another fast 10 min tempo pace run. So try 4:05-4:10 pace.

Best way to know if you do this right. Start at point A and run till your 10 mins is up. And then run back and u should finish at point A, if your short you went too hard, if your long you didnt go fast enough!!

I am thinking about doing Dublin and using a 12 weeks schedule!!!

Thanks T, I can gut it out no problem, the issue has been that my body gives up, or loses all strength. It's part of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I've changed a few supplements and am feeling a bit better so I should get further in before I fade, the plan is to make some time in the first half to attempt to counteract the fade and get a result, likelyhood of success - low but feck it, if you're not in you can't win.

I reckon the P&D 12 week is a good schedule, are you having another 3:30 crack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Thanks T, I can gut it out no problem, the issue has been that my body gives up, or loses all strength. It's part of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I've changed a few supplements and am feeling a bit better so I should get further in before I fade, the plan is to make some time in the first half to attempt to counteract the fade and get a result, likelyhood of success - low but feck it, if you're not in you can't win.

I reckon the P&D 12 week is a good schedule, are you having another 3:30 crack?

Not going for 3.30. Think i just want to run it and enjoy it, looking at 3.45.
    The 3.30 crack last year took too much out of me in training, think i stressed myself over the time etc and was physically worn out at the Donadea 10k from training and other things. Didnt run again till new year!

So will take a relax approach this year!

Not going for 3.30. Think i just want to run it and enjoy it, looking at 3.45.
    The 3.30 crack last year took too much out of me in training, think i stressed myself over the time etc and was physically worn out at the Donadea 10k from training and other things. Didnt run again till new year!

So will take a relax approach this year!

Good stuff, Meno's pacing 3:45 this year so you could jog around for the banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Ask meno :D

Haha, I go with Ray.
    First mile should be a bit quicker unless it is uphill or something.
    When I ran 18:52 in Leixlip, my mile splits were 5:53, 6:07, 6:07. (5:50 for the last bit)

So a 6:10-6:15 first mile should be good, if you blow up you probably just weren't in sub 20 shape to begin with.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, I go with Ray.
    First mile should be a bit quicker unless it is uphill or something.
    When I ran 18:52 in Leixlip, my mile splits were 5:53, 6:07, 6:07. (5:50 for the last bit)

So a 6:10-6:15 first mile should be good, if you blow up you probably just weren't in sub 20 shape to begin with.

Whatever happens it's going to be an interesting experiment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Whatever happens it's going to be an interesting experiment!
    Your clearly going to ignore all the advice, and enter 23 races on the sly, say nothing about them until afterwards and then compain that your a bit tried afterwards :pac:

Your clearly going to ignore all the advice, and enter 23 races on the sly, say nothing about them until afterwards and then compain that your a bit tried afterwards :pac:

I've announced my intention to race Donadea, no cloak and dagger here Mister and then I'm off to the South of France for 12 nights, lots of wine and heat training though not at the same time. :)

Good stuff, Meno's pacing 3:45 this year so you could jog around for the banter.

Ah good some one i know.

You heading to a holiday park in France?

Ah good some one i know.

You heading to a holiday park in France?

Yep, first time and hoping it's as good as people say. I'm sick of sun resorts so this should be just what the doctor ordered.

Yep, first time and hoping it's as good as people say. I'm sick of sun resorts so this should be just what the doctor ordered.

They are very relaxing. Went to one down by Marennes called Sequica Park, for the last week of May and first week of June. Our 18 month old daughter had a ball with all the freedom and the water park. So your kids will love it.

I used to go for a run on the country road as were quite at mid day when they had their afternoon sleep. Put bbq on first and headed off, when i came back it be ready to cook!!.

For your food use the big supermarkets, you save a fortune but they shut on a Sunday!! Supermarket has petrol stations too and are cheaper by far.

• Advertisement

They are very relaxing. Went to one down by Marennes called Sequica Park, for the last week of May and first week of June. Our 18 month old daughter had a ball with all the freedom and the water park. So your kids will love it.

I used to go for a run on the country road as were quite at mid day when they had their afternoon sleep. Put bbq on first and headed off, when i came back it be ready to cook!!.

For your food use the big supermarkets, you save a fortune but they shut on a Sunday!! Supermarket has petrol stations too and are cheaper by far.

Thanks T, really looking forward to it, gonna hit the market in a nearby fishing port for lunch, fish/prawns etc straight out of the sea and onto the BBQ, can't wait.

5 Mile recovery with 6 x 120m strides at 5k pace.

The strides were done at wishful thinking pace, it'll be a long while before I'm running that pace further than a mile. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done tonight. I haven't had the guts to even attempt to race in a lonnnng time so fair play for continuing to put yourself through the pain and punishment. Cellbridge 5k next? :pac: Might be around for that this year now, doesn't look like I'll be doing my cycle.

Well done tonight. I haven't had the guts to even attempt to race in a lonnnng time so fair play for continuing to put yourself through the pain and punishment. Cellbridge 5k next? :pac: Might be around for that this year now, doesn't look like I'll be doing my cycle.

Thanks Boss, but I'll be kicking back in warmer climes :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks Boss, but I'll be kicking back in warmer climes :)

Hope it snows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Howd it go(Mr) Slow...or fast????:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Howd it go(Mr) Slow...or fast????:D

Not so fast but as expected, report to follow.

I arrived in plenty of time for this armed with a new approach, burst out of the blocks and hang on for dear life. Myself and a mate warmed up by jogging the course in reverse and made mental notes about the sticky parts.

They had a section reserved at the front for sub 19 but there was a large proportion of club runners so everyone knew where they should be positioned.

Off goes the gun and my heart was all a flutter at the prospect of getting that sub 20 monkey off of my back, there was no jostling for places, the only other race where I didn't have to duck and dodge to get on pace was the Donadea 10k so they have it sussed. Passed the 1km marker in 3:51, 9 seconds in the bank, good, I can sustain this. I missed the second marker but the pace was good as I had passed the 1 mile marker in 6:21. I got into a rhythm with a guy for about 200m, our breathing/footfall/paces were identical, he however thought I was mounting a challenge and dug in to push forward, he must have been right on the edge as I passed him shuffling like a zombie at around 4km. My mate was just up ahead all the way, I thought he was jogging a sub 20 as a training run but his plan was revealed when he started encouraging me, it helped greatly but also stung a bit that I was 5 seconds ahead of him this time last year over the same distance. Through the 3km marker in 12:09 and the wheels were starting to come off, the 700m rise up to the marker had sucked the life blood out of me but I was determined to push on and make up some time. Mile 2 6:51 pace. Dig in, keep going, you can power your way down to the finish maybe put in a 6:10 mile and get back on track! My legs were burning, every breath hurt, my mouth was frothing, even my eyes were on fire but it was for nothing Mile 3 6:56, my 'sprint' finish was at 7 min pace and I crossed the line in 20:45 (Chip 20:46).

My hr was close to max for the last 2 miles so I know I couldn't have pushed harder there. I would however have run a better time if I had set out at 6:45 as I'd have been able to pick it up on the downhills. (I can still run a 7 min paced 5 mile tempo without too much difficulty)

Conclusion: Racing with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is like trying to hit times with a 15kg weight on your back. I start lymph drainage treatment when I return from holidays and the outlook is good for a complete recovery in 6 - 8 months so I'm going to train as much as possible (without wearing myself out) to break that 20 minute mark and once recovered, should be looking to smash that time with ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I arrived in plenty of time for this armed with a new approach, burst out of the blocks and hang on for dear life. Myself and a mate warmed up by jogging the course in reverse and made mental notes about the sticky parts.

They had a section reserved at the front for sub 19 but there was a large proportion of club runners so everyone knew where they should be positioned.

Off goes the gun and my heart was all a flutter at the prospect of getting that sub 20 monkey off of my back, there was no jostling for places, the only other race where I didn't have to duck and dodge to get on pace was the Donadea 10k so they have it sussed. Passed the 1km marker in 3:51, 9 seconds in the bank, good, I can sustain this. I missed the second marker but the pace was good as I had passed the 1 mile marker in 6:21. I got into a rhythm with a guy for about 200m, our breathing/footfall/paces were identical, he however thought I was mounting a challenge and dug in to push forward, he must have been right on the edge as I passed him shuffling like a zombie at around 4km. My mate was just up ahead all the way, I thought he was jogging a sub 20 as a training run but his plan was revealed when he started encouraging me, it helped greatly but also stung a bit that I was 5 seconds ahead of him this time last year over the same distance. Through the 3km marker in 12:09 and the wheels were starting to come off, the 700m rise up to the marker had sucked the life blood out of me but I was determined to push on and make up some time. Mile 2 6:51 pace. Dig in, keep going, you can power your way down to the finish maybe put in a 6:10 mile and get back on track! My legs were burning, every breath hurt, my mouth was frothing, even my eyes were on fire but it was for nothing Mile 3 6:56, my 'sprint' finish was at 7 min pace and I crossed the line in 20:45 (Chip 20:46).

My hr was close to max for the last 2 miles so I know I couldn't have pushed harder there. I would however have run a better time if I had set out at 6:45 as I'd have been able to pick it up on the downhills. (I can still run a 7 min paced 5 mile tempo without too much difficulty)

Conclusion: Racing with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is like trying to hit times with a 15kg weight on your back. I start lymph drainage treatment when I return from holidays and the outlook is good for a complete recovery in 6 - 8 months so I'm going to train as much as possible (without wearing myself out) to break that 20 minute mark and once recovered, should be looking to smash that time with ease.

Hard luck on the sub 20. Hopefully the treatment after your hols will sort you out once & for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hard luck on the sub 20, no consolation but you are getting closer to it with each race....Relax & Enjoy the hols, and all will fall into place on your return & treatment.....well done for a gusty race!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

All the cool people have self imposed racing bans....maybe you should join us for a while ;)

And by the way, your race report was way too long.

3.5 miles, average pace 7:16, had a bit of steam to run off so ploughed into this run, feel better now :-D

3 runs in 12 days, not epic training but when it's 34C outside and you're running uphill approaching max hr, it has to be good training.

Link to one run here, really enjoyed this, had to stop twice but the looks of 'You Lunatic' from the locals made it all worth while.

Back to the grind now, I start my treatment on Thursday, fingers and toes are crossed.

3 runs in 12 days, not epic training but when it's 34C outside and you're running uphill approaching max hr, it has to be good training.

Link to one run here, really enjoyed this, had to stop twice but the looks of 'You Lunatic' from the locals made it all worth while.

Back to the grind now, I start my treatment on Thursday, fingers and toes are crossed.

Was the hol good?

Was the hol good?

It was great, going back next year for defo.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hello mate... I haven't checked in for a while....Chronic fatigue syndrome??? How did that happen?? I hope you're ok?

Was the hol good?

Brilliant. Was it far south for a drive? Wobnt be going next year as baby too young but will from there in

Was the hol good?

Brilliant. Was it far south for a drive? Wobnt be going next year as baby too young but will from there in

Was the hol good?

It was an hour's drive from Girona, I wouldn't count it out T, there were kids of all ages there, it caters to them all.

• Advertisement

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Hello mate... I haven't checked in for a while....Chronic fatigue syndrome??? How did that happen?? I hope you're ok?

Long story, basically body was fcuked when I ran DCM last year, I pushed myself way too hard and I'm struggling since, are you running?

Advertisement