Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Thanks, low effort exercise helps the lymphatic system to drain toxins.

Have you got a diagnosis yet?

Nope, blood test results back this week though. Hopefully i know what it is anyway or i'll be giving up on London next April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with your recovery, come back fresh & hit 2013 with fresh everything hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    If I change my log title how will the 'squatters' know where to find it! ;)

They'll find it, like moths to a flame. Call it '50 Shades of running' ;)
    Nope, blood test results back this week though. Hopefully i know what it is anyway or i'll be giving up on London next April.

It's sh1te, isn't it? All you want to do is get out and train and everywhere you look there's people who wouldn't run for a bus eating, drinking and basically being merry! Bah Humbug :cool:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with your recovery, come back fresh & hit 2013 with fresh everything hopefully.

Thanks Tang, I'm on the right road, it's just a long one.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

ever think of doing yoga?

BobMac104 wrote: »

I have considered it, it's hard for me to tie myself to a class time, that's why I started running, I could do it anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

.... low effort exercise helps the lymphatic system to drain toxins.
    i was going to suggest a bit of walking, but you might be inclined to break into a run!!:eek:

Wishing you a full & speedy recovery... Sorry to hear you won't be pacing DCM...We'll miss you!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I did it for 18 months and loved it, but I moved and found the combination of the fee and cost in petrol to go to it, too much so i stopped. May be worth seeing if there was a place that did drop in classes near you. Could be just the ticket in keeping the mind + body sane while having a break from the running. Great endorphin hit from it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

+1 on the yoga. Its the business :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

It's sh1te, isn't it? All you want to do is get out and train and everywhere you look there's people who wouldn't run for a bus eating, drinking and basically being merry! Bah Humbug :cool:

Indeed it is sh!te, but after a while you stop caring. I think you have to do preserve sanity :D All the walking routes around my house have been done loads of tomes now, its time to run on them again.

I'm doing a lot of drinking and being merry to compensate though ;)

Indeed it is sh!te, but after a while you stop caring. I think you have to do preserve sanity :D

My problem is that I can't stop caring, I loved last year knocking out pb after pb, this year I could count all my good runs on one hand. I'm determined to get back to my best next year - see what I did there? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

My problem is that I can't stop caring, I loved last year knocking out pb after pb, this year I could count all my good runs on one hand. I'm determined to get back to my best next year - see what I did there? :D[/QUOT

Feel your pain! Had similar issues but seem to have gotten to the bottom of the problems I was asking you about, hopefully I've turned a corner now.

I started doing a class in Westwood called Bodybalance because of some of my issues which I've found great, it a cross between yoga, pilates and Tai Chi.

One of the biggest problems with going through a bad patch IMO is this bloody forum!!!!
    Not being able to run and then logging in here to read about people PB'ing and going from strength to strength..... tis not good for the soul i 'tells ya:(

Best of luck with the recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

BobMac104 wrote: »

Yoga is top of his list, that's apparently why he got his bottom ribs removed ;):)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Yoga is top of his list, that's apparently why he got his bottom ribs removed ;):)

Just following in your footsteps Da! :pac:

My first run in nearly 3 weeks, I would have waited longer to go out but my inactivity sparked a massive I.B.S. attack so needs must. Treatment is progressing well, I no longer feel poisoned which is like winning the Lotto but it has been replaced with exhaustion, I'll take that over the former but I started college today and I'm sure my peers thought I had intellectual difficulties. (Cue: Digger, Ray and Racoon:cool:)

The run was a mere 2.39 miles, I went out too fast and settled into 8:30's but my hr was through the roof, my lungs felt sore and I had a pain in my chest, I haven't felt lke that since I was starting out and it sucks. I'm going to get out every few days and do something similar just to have a bit of exercise to deal with the I.B.S. but won't be in a position to start training properly for a while yet, baby steps and all that.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My first run in nearly 3 weeks, I would have waited longer to go out but my inactivity sparked a massive I.B.S. attack so needs must. Treatment is progressing well, I no longer feel poisoned which is like winning the Lotto but it has been replaced with exhaustion, I'll take that over the former but I started college today and I'm sure my peers thought I had intellectual difficulties. (Cue: Digger, Ray and Racoon:cool:)

The run was a mere 2.39 miles, I went out too fast and settled into 8:30's but my hr was through the roof, my lungs felt sore and I had a pain in my chest, I haven't felt lke that since I was starting out and it sucks. I'm going to get out every few days and do something similar just to have a bit of exercise to deal with the I.B.S. but won't be in a position to start training properly for a while yet, baby steps and all that.:)

This time next year u be flying. What you studying?

Thanks T. Something boring.

That's not an answer......that's a deflection :p

That's not an answer......that's a deflection :p

I missed out on the chance to do a practical study on the effects of applying baby oil to the Swedish female volleyball team, everything else just seems dull in comparison :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's a dark day when I'm huddled into the same category as A/R/T's two zimmerframe users :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a dark day when I'm huddled into the same category as A/R/T's two zimmerframe users :(

Old grey RQ, she ain't what she used to be :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Welcome back Mr S, Boards has been a dull place without you. Make those baby steps good ones.

I missed out on the chance to do a practical study on the effects of applying baby oil to the Swedish male volleyball team, everything else just seems dull in comparison :(
    I'm sure ;)

I'm sure ;)

My post seems to have changed gender :mad:

I'm saddened you doubt me however! :(

I'm saddened you doubt me however! :(

Hey man i'm liberal...whatever floats your boat :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

they are all boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I don't know what to say to you, that run sounded bloody awful. I can't believe how run down (pardon the pun ;)) you are and how long its taking to get back to strength. Good on you for being patient. I know you'll reap the rewards in 2013.

jcsmum wrote: »
    I don't know what to say to you, that run sounded bloody awful. I can't believe how run down (pardon the pun ;)) you are and how long its taking to get back to strength. Good on you for being patient. I know you'll reap the rewards in 2013.

Thanks Boss, I'm just focused on recovery, I'll return to fitness faster than I gained that fitness in the first place. (I hope :() Plan for next year has changed dramatically, but that's a story for another day. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Welcome back Mr Slow, i hope the road to recovery is a good one and not too long, you'll be back better than ever, soon!!:D

Ran the same loop today, while there was no discomfort my hr was still above lactate threshold for the most part and about half way through it hit me, my intestines are so swollen with the IBS it hurts to bend, they must be restricting my diaphragm thus making each breath more shallow therefore the heart has to work harder.:) In a week or so it will have settled and I'll have a more realistic idea of how far I have slipped.

2.37 miles average hr 159 average pace 8:29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

"softly softly catchee monkey" - my new mantra and you can share it too :D

Advertisement