Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When is that?

Late September usually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

4.72 Miles average hr 155 average pace 9 min

Was still feeling poor prior to this but was itching to run so I went out slow and came home fast (for me :o)

Well that's it done, here's to Berlin 2014 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Well that's it done, here's to Berlin 2014 :o
    Sucks :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

That's **** but you gotta do what's best for the long term. Will you get a refund on your flights and do check if you can defer your entry.

• Advertisement

That's **** but you gotta do what's best for the long term. Will you get a refund on your flights and do check if you can defer your entry.

I have to ring the Aer Lingus helpdesk but hopefully I will. With regard to the marathon, they give you a €30 discount off of next year's race with guaranteed entry.

4.72 Miles average hr 155 average pace 8:48

Ran the reverse of a favoured route and getting the extra effort of the canal stretch out of the way made for a faster and more enjoyable finish, only downside was the 5% of motorists who feel it's their responsibility to put me in my place for having the cheek to run on their road by driving faster by me as close as possible, next time I'll carry an iron bar and create a bit of space for myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Absolutely gutted for you about Berlin. Like I said to you yesterday 'who's going to trip me now at the Brandenburg Gate'? :(;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

jcsmum wrote: »
    Absolutely gutted for you about Berlin. Like I said to you yesterday 'who's going to trip me now at the Brandenburg Gate'? :(;)

If you want to slow down to my pace I'll oblige :D

jcsmum wrote: »

And just like I replied don't you mean 'Who's gonna catch you?' Do I need to post the pictorial evidence? :p
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    If you want to slow down to my pace I'll oblige :D

'Slow down', go away ya oul sandbagger ;)

• Advertisement

4.06 Miles average hr 148 average pace 8:56

Back in the 140's for 8:xx.....just, but just will do for now. :)

Target is 10 miles @ 8:15 pace and 143 hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sorry to hear about Berlin, but defer it and take a year building up and getting better and time time next year you'll be talking about sub-3!

4.03 Miles average hr 153 average pace 8:49

Really enjoyed this run picked it up for the last 1.5 miles.

4.05 miles average hr 149 average pace 9 min miles

Kids holidays from school now means I'll get exta rest as I won't have to be up at the crack of dawn, I expect that to bring me back at an accelerated rate

3 miles average hr 143 average pace 9 min mile.

This felt like more work than the hr would indicate, followed up with 5 x 120m strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Mate two things...

I will put my money where my mouth is.... as it will give me a competition to train for... :P....

I am having my own training woes and what with what I have coming up on the horizon training is going to be sketchy at the best of time...

A showdown on the new year classic before I head back across to the UK...Winner gets a bottle of their favorite tipple.

I will run Berlin 2014 with you as I would like to do an international marathon.... (Proviso... Just need dates so it does not clash with courses I have on) I want to do Paris, Barcelona, Boston, New York and London over the next few years.

2.4 miles average hr 159 average pace 8:36.

It was roasting when I did this yesterday, lovin Summer take 2.

OMG Hot!!!

4.7 miles average hr 159 average pace 8:58

I must not run in 25 degree heat after a BBQ

I must not run in 25 degree heat after a BBQ

I must not run in 25 degree heat after a BBQ...:eek:

4 Miles average hr 158 average pace 8.48

Lovin this weather! :D

2.37 Miles average hr 152 average pace 8:44

Very happy with that given the heat.

• Advertisement

A tentative toe in the water was had today courtesy of Chinguetti's free spot for a friend (he was pacing the half).

Warm up consisted of the kid's race, 1km each way with a double back to pick up a few stragglers saw me well warmed up and sweating like a pig in the costa del Clontarf heat.

I happily sat on a rock near the start watching what must have been the prettiest bunch of racers warm up with some Bootcamp cheerleader shouting instructions, I paid particular attention to the squats and lunges as you do...:)

The gun went off after a quick :rolleyes: nod to the sponsors and we were off, I had planned to run by hr but leaving my hr monitor behind me in the melee to get out the door put paid to that so the plan was to run on the hard side of easy and try and pick it up as I went along. I had started near the back to deliberately hold me back and it worked beautifully, passed the first mile marker at 1.2 miles by the Garmin, (I think they measured it by throwing a knotted rope with a log attached but to be fair the rest were spot on) My first actual mile was 8:31, perfect.
    The beach was fine and I weaved through people feeling strong, I had a few moments lamenting past speeds but put them out of my head in favour of enjoying the race, second mile 8:29, happy days. By mile 3 (8.11) I had picked up a bottle of water and drowned myself in it, it was becoming work, the loose sand coming off of the beach saps the strength from legs that have little to give but once I was back on terra ferma they were ok. At about 3.5 I was starting to wish it would come to an end and started to feel hungry, this is a warning sign for me, I can't afford flat spots at the moment as they have the net result of setting me back for a few days so with a bit of mental fortitude I knocked it on the head and pressed on. Mile 4 - 7.56, Now I was working, the heat was searing and the effort was building, nausea started to rear it's ugly head and then I spotted the finish line gantry off in the near distance, I put the head down and just plodded my way home, my wife and kids were just at the finish line and I was thrilled to see them, last mile 7.55 with .04 at 7.26.

All told 5.04 miles in 41.21 in 25 degree heat, can't really compain about that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done and great to see you back in a race again.

Was it only 25 degrees??

I was 58th out of 350, if i had run a pb I'd have been in the top 15.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I was 58th out of 350, if i had run a pb I'd have been in the top 15.:eek:

But if fully fit could u run a pb in that heat. Whats ur pb?

But if fully fit could u run a pb in that heat. Whats ur pb?

Had I run my pb of 34 for 5 miles which was a touch soft at one point, i'd have been up there, my 10k pb is 41:14 on a pretty undulating course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done, the speeds are on their way back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Had I run my pb of 34 for 5 miles which was a touch soft at one point, i'd have been up there, my 10k pb is 41:14 on a pretty undulating course.

It will all come back to you. Patience is the way forward but hard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good to see you back on the road :)

Aimman wrote: »
    Well done, the speeds are on their way back up.

thanks Eamonn, your 10 in 10 saga was epic, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Delighted for you C... onwards and upwards! :)

Advertisement