Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 Year Plan to be announced at 2pm - Live on RTE, TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭deadduck

since they'll be gone soon, you'd think biffo would've tried to have scored some brownie points for the election after next by cutting top ministers pay. maybe it's just me, but they've missed a trick there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I note that the artists tax exemption is to be curtailed......does that mean the novelist Bertie will be leaving as tax exile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Anything said about Third Level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

2k charge per year

yom 1 wrote: »
    Carbon tax going up again......which in turn puts the price of everything in the whole country up......electricity, gas, petrol, diesel, home heating oil etc.....

Which in turn drives the base cost of everything in the country up......

how the fcuk is that supposed to make us competitive again.......

last out turn off the lights.......:mad:
    Makes no sense at all, do I have to pay a carbon tax for burning candles ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

3rd level students' "contribution" will rise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

jmayo wrote: »
    When he says "we are a smart resilent people" he should leave out the we bit. :rolleyes:

It's "I" when it's good news and "We" when it's bad.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Yes, but its along the lines of 'students will have to contribute more'.
    Nothing concrete

rte.ie wrote:
    Student fees will be increased to €2,000 (from €1,600). A €200 charge will be introduced for Post-Leaving Certificate students.

re fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Students with grandparents should ask them for 400 quid to put towards the registration fee..the pensioners have too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

dobsdave wrote: »
    2012: Interim Site Value tax of 100e per household
    2013: Fully operational Site value tax.

What is this Site Value Tax proposal? Please explain?

Does it mean that I should now transfer a few sites on the home place to the kids, even though they are only teenagers? Or is this something to do with large scale development sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

its the property tax €100 per house for 2012 and a value-based system thereafter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised at all, I myself am looking into going to Canada, no point staying here now.

Well appears it is true as mentioned above. I'm off to Canada next year. I'm lucky that i have a job which allows me to work anywhere. Just need a laptop and internet connection. But i don't want to raise any future kids i may have in this country. I wouldn't trust them to handle another boom if we end up having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Does it mean that I should now transfer a few sites on the home place to the kids, even though they are only teenagers? Or is this something to do with large scale development sites?

I presume (it doesnt say) it means a property tax.
    100e per house just to ease us in.
    Dont know about sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

seamus wrote: »
    3rd level students' "contribution" will rise.

Correction "contributions of third level student's already hard pressed parents will rise"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Makes no sense at all, do I have to pay a carbon tax for burning candles ?

I wouldnt be suprised...........fcuking green taxes

Between the Carbon tax and the Vat increases its about the most uncompetitive things they could have done........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Riskymove wrote: »
    its the property tax €100 per house for 2012 and a value-based system thereafter
    Who the hell is going to be doing the valuation? Can anyone else see inflated values being placed on properties by the government valuation teams to place a floor on the property price drop while increasing tax returns? I won't trust these fellas to tell me the value of a 2 Euro coin let alone the value of a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Get the budget through and get out Cowen and Lenny without delay. The shame and humiliation you have brought on our country. Cowen claims he will lead FF into the next election? I would love to see his manifesto .....disaster and more disaster. I was gobsmacked to hear he was even going to continue in politics let alone continue as leader of Fianna Failure. It shows how detached the man is from reality. He has to be the biggest political liability ever in Ireland. The longer he stays bad for the nation but dire for Fianna Failure. Nobody believes word you say BIFFO and your ignorance is breathtaking.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Bloody hell its ridiculous.

Everything they're hitting, are things that cannot afford to be hit. Education, Healthcare, low earners, minimum wage etc.

Pay for fooking water????? We're a damn island for gods sake :rolleyes:

Where are the cuts to ministerial wages & "expenses'? Where are the PRSI and income tax changes?

Exactly how are we to depend on exports pulling us through, when our 3 major markets (UK, US & EU) are fairly weak?

Are these people complete idiots?

I vote we default on the loans, pull out of the Euro, and NOT SHRINK OUR ECONOMY ANY FURTHER.

They will leave the average citizen with little or no expendable income, making their increase in VAT rates completely moot.

Why bother reducing minimum wage, when there are going to be retailers / small businesses closing down due to lack of income?

This government is going about resolving the problem in completely the wrong manner. I'm sick of this brute force tactic of making the public pay for their mistakes and over spending.

Make the damn banks pay back the bail out loans. Why should I pay?? The banks are still turning over huge amounts, even though people are pulling their money out.

They can well afford to pay back loans and interest, like every other business would have to if they got a loan to balance the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

From the Guardian:
    .50pm: The immediate verdict from the financial markets to Ireland's fiscal plan is not encouraging.

The yield on the Irish 10-year bond has been rising since 2pm, and just touched 9.2%.

City analysts are warning that that political instability in Ireland is still undermining confidence. Here's some early reaction (via Reuters):

Melanie Bowler of Moody's Analytics: "Despite the plan, the political uncertainty remains a key trouble in the eyes of the market and needs to be resolved quickly to get things settled. But I think the plan will be pushed through."

Jim Power, chief economist of Friends First: "The big challenge is to try and deliver it, it's going to be difficult, it's going to be painful but there's no choice.....I think it's going to be very dangerous to take 15 billion out of an economy in a deep recession."

James Nixon, chief European economist at Societe Generale: "It's a staggeringly austere budget, the cuts are deep and it will hurt.......The main thing that stands out is that they still expect the economy to grow by 2.7% over the next 4 years but it's hard to see how
    that can be true."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pay for fooking water????? We're a damn island for gods sake :rolleyes:

Mmm, seawater :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

hubiedubie wrote: »
    From the Guardian:
    .50pm: The immediate verdict from the financial markets to Ireland's fiscal plan is not encouraging.

The yield on the Irish 10-year bond has been rising since 2pm, and just touched 9.2%.

City analysts are warning that that political instability in Ireland is still undermining confidence. Here's some early reaction (via Reuters):

Melanie Bowler of Moody's Analytics: "Despite the plan, the political uncertainty remains a key trouble in the eyes of the market and needs to be resolved quickly to get things settled. But I think the plan will be pushed through."

Jim Power, chief economist of Friends First: "The big challenge is to try and deliver it, it's going to be difficult, it's going to be painful but there's no choice.....I think it's going to be very dangerous to take 15 billion out of an economy in a deep recession."

James Nixon, chief European economist at Societe Generale: "It's a staggeringly austere budget, the cuts are deep and it will hurt.......The main thing that stands out is that they still expect the economy to grow by 2.7% over the next 4 years but it's hard to see how
    that can be true."

This is because no one believes Cowen and Lenihan, they are a definite liability to the country.

Coupled with that, why weren't the bank debts mentioned? When asked, they almost said that's irrelevant (don't spoil our press conference, kind of thing). Crazy.

€1b to install water meters, would that not be better spent on the budget deficit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Why not put a tax on every transaction the banks make, maybe 50c? How much feasibly would that generate - billions per year? Oh I forgot, the banks are top priority for these wasters so everyone else will have to prop them up by being driven to the brink of poverty with these wage cuts, tax band increases and VAT + Fuel cost increases.

I'm hoping now that this budget fails miserably and does not pass the vote. These idiots are going to make a nightmare situation even worse for everyone, because as usual they haven't thought this out properly.

• Advertisement

and to think I laughed when I heard Paisley say we should rejoin the UK

how dare they cut minimum wage and not politicians pay

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Mmm, seawater :rolleyes:

Filter.

We could possibly filter seawater for the price of installing the stupid water meters = no droughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bbob02

it's not looking good again for poor people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

bbob02 wrote: »

We'll all be poor people if this budget passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭johnboy_123

Its not looking good anyone who isnt rich or on a very good wage

• Advertisement

Filter.

We could possibly filter seawater for the price of installing the stupid water meters = no droughts.
    i get my water from the local spring well:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

€1b to install water meters, would that not be better spent on the budget deficit.

Or on patching the leaks in the system.

Filter.

/facepalm

it's not looking good again as usual for poor people

FYP.

They ALWAYS target those that need the money most. While Cowen sits on his massively inflated wage and running everything through expenses.

We should all storm the Daíl and pull these fcukers out of the seats that we own.

We need a government with balls, not a government who pays off its buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

hubiedubie wrote: »
    The main thing that stands out is that they still expect the economy to grow by 2.7% over the next 4 years but it's hard to see how
    that can be true."

Its all undermined by this, even the IMF think its optimistic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/stephanieflanders/2010/11/irelands_pain_multiply_by_10.html
    You don't hear much of that talk today. The government is forecasting average growth of 2.75% a year between 2011 and 2014, but in their summer staff report, the IMF thought even that could be optimistic - and their forecasts back then did not take into account additional bank bailout costs in 2010 of 20% of GDP.

It just confirms they are not interested in getting to the bottom of this and grasping the nettle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Filter.

I think waterbutts will be making a welcome return to many homes around the country until this shower of gombeens tries to tax the rain.

bond market gone to 9.2%, clearly they have no faith in these measures :(

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

If Ireland are out of the Bond Markets what is rising is it existing bonds raised being sold around

bond market gone to 9.2%, clearly they have no faith in these measures :(
    As long as Cowen and his muppet government are running things no one will have any faith.

banks always the winners poor people always the the unhappy ones

• Advertisement

1500 reduction in the Gardai, thats intelligent seeing that the crime rate will rocket now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Thank god - It looks like Public Sector workers will be spared any salary reductions over the next 4 years.
    Obviously it will mean increases in income tax and a huge reduction in the capital programme, but it's a sacrifice that's worth it to ensure we keep paying our public servants at one of the highest rates in Europe.
    No compulsoray redundancies either - perish the thought.
    Country will be just made up of public servants in 4 years time

1500 reduction in the Gardai, thats intelligent seeing that the crime rate will rocket now :rolleyes:
    thats scary

banks always the winners poor people always the the unhappy ones
    It's a very true saying here; "Ireland is a country for the rich and the crooks"

/facepalm

why the facepalm?? Australia build desalination plants for less than a billion
    ones for cities as big as Sydney

yeah, I really cannot understand that at all.

How big is the traffic corp though, they've all just been replaced by mobile cameras:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

+1, no point in reducing the minimum wage to try help businesses create more jobs, if the dole, rent allowance etc are so high that there is zero incentive to take up those jobs

That will be done on 7th December in the budget

why the facepalm?? Australia build desalination plants for less than a billion
    ones for cities as big as Sydney

desalination does not equal filter
    (and is entirely irrelevant to this thread anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

They have printed this this afternoon and it still does not include all the relevant info,are we expected to buy this and a magic 8 ball.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Guys can you tell me how these "water meters" will work?

Will you charged if you go over a certain amount or will it be "pay as you go" like electricity?

Advertisement