Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing flashing stains from roof tiles

• 24-11-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice here. Like a lot of houses built in the last ~5 years, the flashing used on the roof of our bungalow appears not to have been finished with patination oil and is rusting away. The biggest sign of this are whitish streak marks running down the roof tiles from flashing on the chimney, dormer windows etc. My key interest is removing the damn stains from the roof tiles! I've tried oxalic acid (e.g. Netrol) but it made no difference. Any tips from someone who's been there, done that?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Mr Thrifty
    Clean down the lead flashing and re coat with patination oil. Get some copper wire a bit of silicone.Put the copper wire at the end of the lead flashing and a few dabs of silicone to hold it in place. It works a treat will just a bit of time. What ever is in the copper wire works I have done it myself could not believe it.

North West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

North West wrote: »
    Hi Mr Thrifty
    Clean down the lead flashing and re coat with patination oil. Get some copper wire a bit of silicone.Put the copper wire at the end of the lead flashing and a few dabs of silicone to hold it in place. It works a treat will just a bit of time. What ever is in the copper wire works I have done it myself could not believe it.

North West
    i have never heard this before did u use much copper wire??

Hi
    just put in it the length of the flashing. It just takes a bit of time to clean roof. It will clean and stay cleaned.
    North West

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I've had some patination oil for a bit but I've read that you need to properly sand down the surface of the flashing before applying it and that sounds like a lot of hard work, especially in this weather! I was just hoping to take the lazy way out and just keep on removing the white streak marks every few years!! But are you sure about the copper wire idea? I know this stops moss from growing but I don't see how it could possibly help remove the white stains from the corroding flashing?! It wasn't maybe white lichen or some other plant growth that you got rid of, North West?

Hi Mr Thrifty
    It works but will take time. What ever reaction the rainwater and chemical comes off the copper wire is I do not know. You don't need to do it straight away as the stain is there, wait for a bit of good weather.

North West

• Advertisement

Excellet stuff. Thanks a mill North West - it's something that's been bothering me for years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

North West wrote: »
    Hi Mr Thrifty

North West

I have that problem myself will give your idea a try.

Do you put the copper wire along the bottom of the lead?

Any cure for moss growing on sheltered side of a roof?

Anthony, I presume it goes along the bottom of the flashing as you just want the water passing by the copper to flow over the streak marks on the roof tiles. Probably doesn't really make much difference so long as rain water flows over it but NW might know better. As for moss removal, I could write a book on that at this stage. I had a lot of fun this summer trying various products (Moss out, Goudings, No Nonsense...) and none of them really worked. In the end I had to resort to pressure washing the roof but would not recommend this, especially on a slate roof. Instead, from what I've read since, copper wire or pipe is again the way to go, but this time along the ridge of the roof (on one or both sides). There are acutally zinc strip products out there especially for this also but copper is supposedly much more effective. Key thing is that only water that has passed over the copper will poison any moss below etc. So it both kills moss and prevents regrowth. Obviously though the copper corrodes over time so it needs replacing and also doesn't look the prettiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Anthony, I presume it goes along the bottom of the flashing as you just want the water passing by the copper to flow over the streak marks on the roof tiles. Probably doesn't really make much difference so long as rain water flows over it but NW might know better. As for moss removal, I could write a book on that at this stage. I had a lot of fun this summer trying various products (Moss out, Goudings, No Nonsense...) and none of them really worked. In the end I had to resort to pressure washing the roof but would not recommend this, especially on a slate roof. Instead, from what I've read since, copper wire or pipe is again the way to go, but this time along the ridge of the roof (on one or both sides). There are acutally zinc strip products out there especially for this also but copper is supposedly much more effective. Key thing is that only water that has passed over the copper will poison any moss below etc. So it both kills moss and prevents regrowth. Obviously though the copper corrodes over time so it needs replacing and also doesn't look the prettiest.

Another job for the spring i think. i think ill try copper wire first, wont be seen. Any idea is it normal light 2.5mm wire.

Not sure, but I'd guess 2.5mm is grand and practical to work with. Any input North West?! Apparently you can use copper pennies too if you have a collection!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement