Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Ireland defaults,what happens?

• 24-11-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

A lot of commentators say that Ireland simply can't afford the 'bail out' and should prepare for an 'orderly ' default. What would the result be if we did?.

You know though I'm finding the news so depressing, feel like leaving all news mediums off, including abstaining from newspapers....so much doom...I'm starting to feel hopeless....:(...and I'm usually quite a positive person......
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well no sense to force a default by charging too much for the loan, so I don't see it happening. However as you ask, Ireland would be shut out of the markets, so no borrowing. The country would have to live on its income which well short of expenditure, the National Pension Fund could be used up that would give Ireland about a year of grace before penury of several years.

Then at some point a deal would be struck to allow Ireland to re-enter the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

The government living within its means and less debt. Default seems like a necessary evil and may even turn the country around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

We just hand back the keys and wait for them to evict us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

mike65 wrote: »
    Well no sense to force a default by charging too much for the loan, so I don't see it happening. However as you ask, Ireland would be shut out of the markets, so no borrowing. The country would have to live on its income which well short of expenditure, the National Pension Fund could be used up that would give Ireland about a year of grace before penury of several years.

Then at some point a deal would be struck to allow Ireland to re-enter the markets.
    The markets would soon come around in short order, they don't hold any grudges and without the banks dragging us down coupled with a wholesale restructuring of the Irish government/SC and other institutions we would be quickly on the way to some sort of a recovery. As it stands we are being offered even more debt by the ECB so that the banking institutions in the larger member states will not have to take the hit. They are proposing to transfer the possible liability their own citizens would face if their banks failed onto the shoulders of the dopey Irish.

The way I see it is accept the bailout and we get more of the same crony capitalism and crooked greasy politicians or default and start again, learning from our mistakes and ensuring that they never happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Freiheit wrote: »
    A lot of commentators say that Ireland simply can't afford the 'bail out' and should prepare for an 'orderly ' default. What would the result be if we did?.

You know though I'm finding the news so depressing, feel like leaving all news mediums off, including abstaining from newspapers....so much doom...I'm starting to feel hopeless....:(...and I'm usually quite a positive person......

My advice, cheer up, it's bad, but it's not a graveyard......we will get out of it.

The country has gone through worse, despite the doom and gloom our economy is still relatively strong, not everyone is out of work, we have a huge rate of savings, ok, the banks are in trouble but we have friends out there, who will not let us sink, UK, Sweden, Norway, are all willing to help, not counting EU, IMF, etc.

The next few months will see some changes which will be welcome, the gravy-train that has been politics will be cleaned up, watch Brian Cowan, apply for his Ministerial Pension, and the keys of his car for life, Mr Chopra will just say NO.
    civil service pensions linked to annual rates of increase, no more.

The next few months , indeed years will be difficult, but not terminal.

Default, it will not happen, the EU cannot have a situation which would harm the Euro.

Cheer up, the sun will still shine,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Denmark is also thinking about a bilateral loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If the terms of the bailout dictate we draw down the 85bn from day 1 at a 5% interest rate, then that's 1,000 euros a year per man, woman and child in reduced services or increased taxation just to service the interest. Is that sustainable? If we wanted to pay off 5bn a year, that's 2,000 euro for every man woman and child in reduced services or increased taxation, in the first year, slowly declining over the 17 years it would take to pay off.

The only way that will shrink by itself is if Growth + Inflation > 5% which doesn't look too likely in the short to medium term.

Is default almost guaranteed at some point in the future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is default almost guaranteed at some point in the future?
    Yes. That's almost the raison d'etre of the IMF. They'll take us for every penny we have and we'll still default as it simply isn't possible for the public purse to cover a private debt that large.
    Bank guarantee? Guarantee we'll be paupers forever more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Avgas

It is not 5%...it is more like 7% or 7.044% to be exact . See: http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2010/11/23/efsf-charging-7/

This is not cheap credit we are getting..even if it still better than 8-10% the markets were in theory willing to buy our bonds from...(but not in practice).

Why is everyone missing the big news-the Spanish and Portuguese bond auctions have moved way upwards. Contagion seems to be spreading fast.

This is 1929 total crash territory...for the Eurozone.....please somebody post in an authoritative reply that it will all be grand.......

"Before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death; A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness."

Book of Job, 10:21-22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Ireland better default fast.
    Strike against austerity cuts brings Portugal to a halt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The markets would soon come around in short order, they don't hold any grudges and without the banks dragging us down coupled with a wholesale restructuring of the Irish government/SC and other institutions we would be quickly on the way to some sort of a recovery. As it stands we are being offered even more debt by the ECB so that the banking institutions in the larger member states will not have to take the hit. They are proposing to transfer the possible liability their own citizens would face if their banks failed onto the shoulders of the dopey Irish.

The way I see it is accept the bailout and we get more of the same crony capitalism and crooked greasy politicians or default and start again, learning from our mistakes and ensuring that they never happen again.

The markets do have long memories, though. Argentina has been unable to issue any euro or dollar denominated debt bonds since their default in 2001, and their peso-denominated bonds trade at 9.8%.

Also, I'm afraid, there's no real sign that the majority of the country want to get rid of our crony capitalism and crooked greasy politicians.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Also, I'm afraid, there's no real sign that the majority of the country want to get rid of our crony capitalism and crooked greasy politicians.
    What's that about the "government we deserve".
    I don't hear many people here admitting they voted FF in the last election despite them having every crook from Charlie to Bertie in the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Doesitmatter?

This has probably been done to death already but, could someone explain to me why a large part of the bail out is going to be poured in to the banks to pay back people who took a punt on Irish banks and now that their investment has gone tits up, its us who has to pay for it?
    If I or you invest in a company and they fail, tough sh!t. whats different?
    It all sounds like a bad novel. You could easily smell a conspiracy here with another country or group of mysterious investors wiping out an entire nation (financially) by engineering the whole boom to bust bubble and getting themselves out just before the crash.
    It's all too farfetched, or is it??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

I have been thinking the very same thing. what can they really do?

If anyone of us hard working people default on a payment to one of the financal organisatons more than likely the most that will happen is that the person will serve a bit of time in prison..

Now me for one, well i would not be crying my eyes out if a few of the gangsters we have runningthe country had to do a bit of time.

If someone defaults on a payment to an undesireable person(eg loan shark/drug dealer) you could get your head kicked in,or maybe they would storm into your house and take something valuable to make the payment.. again I wouldnt shed a tear if that happend to our "leaders"

So can someone please tell why we cannot come out of the euro, start a totally new currency with new people in charge that will do the right things and consult people that know about financial matters before they make a decision.

Then we would slowly make our way back and we could make an agreement with the rest of them to pay back a certain amount every week but spread the payments out longer, just like I and many many thousands of people have to do every week in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    What's that about the "government we deserve".
    I don't hear many people here admitting they voted FF in the last election despite them having every crook from Charlie to Bertie in the party.

It's amazingly difficult to find anyone who admits to having voted for Fianna Fáil, which is curious when you consider how many people did.

What's disturbing is when you extrapolate that to the coming election.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'm no economist but I feel that investors in Irish banks/bonds should take their losses and at least then we could start to grow after the bust?.....Whereas this will extend the depression over 50 years?....for the benefit of just a few oligarchs?.

I know my world won't end but I've no faith in Irish nor external governance....seems to be done to save the banks and their benefactors....I'm very sad...I had been pro-European, much of the equality agenda has been due to European influence, but feel very disillusioned now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I really have not been keeping track of events on any of this for a long time, but have been reading up on it more recently.

Part of what I've read, is (summarizing, probably inaccurately) that lax regulation laws in Ireland allowed banks to take greater risks, risks that were blocked by more sensible/strict regulations in other countries.

So, foreign banks (most notably from Germany?) came to Ireland to make these high risk ventures (knowing the risks, and knowing they are evading their own regulations/laws), and now that everything is in meltdown, they are trying to abdicate responsibility and shít out their bad debt onto the Irish people? (bad debt which may amount to a very significant % of our overall debt)

How accurate is this information I've read, and how much money does this specific issue amount to?

If this is accurate, is defaulting the only way to tell these banks to go fúck themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

martinn123 wrote: »
    Default, it will not happen, the EU cannot have a situation which would harm the Euro.

With respect - Nonsense!!
    Our default is a nailed on certainty! But EU/IMF are not giving us the 85 Billion in one swoop - It's over 3 years! Which means, if we want to use the full 85 Billion (which we will....and then some), we cannot default until we have it all...in 2014 and maybe beyond!

In the meantime, they're cutting our deficit by 15 Billion - but, to service this debt expenditure (just the 85 Billion, not including the rest of our debt), our spending has to increase by about 6 Billion per year to service the interest alone....so the deficit is not being cut by 15 Billion at all.

To answer the OP question....we will be left to live of of our 32 Billion income after 2014...which by then will surely be significantly less than the 32 Billion it is now!

To the person who claims UK, Sweden, Denmark etc are being our "Friends"....wise up!! Theyy want to loan us money so that THEY don't have to pay!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

what does everyone think of the argument put forward on the vincent browne show last night by brian lucey and others, i.e. that europe is so afraid of contragion disrupting the euro zone that we can threaten to default (referred to as a nuclear weapon on the show :)) in order to negotiate a lower more feasible rate of interest?
    any thoughts?

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne&tv3_preview=&video=29656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I've seen a good few different economic commentators say Ireland would be better off if we default as we just cannot afford to pay back the bailout money. So I am just wondering what consequences there would be if we do this? How would things likely to be played out?

From my understanding, we would effectively be saying fuck you to the German, French and UK banks that we owe money to, so could those countries stop trading with us, in terms of buying our exports and supplying us with imports? Also, surely they would never lend to us ever again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Massive inflation, a bleeding of foreign investment (more like bloodletting), we would be a financial leper - far far worse than is the case now or in the projected future. We would bring the euro down, if we weren't kicked out of it by then

It's not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have seen that aswell . .

You gotta love them . .

Populist politics got us where we are, dont think for a second that populist economic waffle will do any differant . .

Dont get me wrong, Im not exactly sold on the bailout and I am very very cynical with the EU's motives.

But until I see a credible, comprehensive and well put together proposal, I will presume that tv pundits are nothing more then the Jordan's of their profession. Say whatever you can to get on tv.

We should join the Dollar, no no have our own currency, no maybe join the sterling . . We should do what Iceland did in parts or sweden or maybe somebody else . .

There is always snippets of what we should or should not do, but never intricate discussion or proper questions on their views (as the presenter of the tv show has no clue what he is being told or talking about!).

Heres a question that pretty much sums up how I feel about tv pundits. Throughout this whole scenario and since they have been on tv, I have never seen 100% concensus on anything in terms of the economic decisions that have been made or should of been made etc. The reason is because economics in capitalism is not something that can be predicted with so many external factors (as we are seeing) that can scupper even the best laid plans. Put simply, there is no way of guaranteeing that the correct decisions will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

What do you mean if?

We dont have the money to pay for ourselves....its already happenned.

We have not defaulted on our sovereign debt, so the word 'if' absolutely arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Our government has sold us into slavery for generations. The E.U. and I.M.F. are not here for our welfare, merely to save the Euro and their banks.... . A default,live within our means and eventual growth would be much better.... I think Ireland should leave the Euro and default.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Sovereign debt...bank debt...bondholders... we are broke no matter what way its painted.

No, there is a big difference. Defaulting on sovereign debt sends us into the wilderness - you think things are bad now? You haven't seen anything nearly as bad as if we were to default on our debt.

Again, we have not defaulted; defaulting is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

later10 wrote: »
    No, there is a big difference. Defaulting on sovereign debt sends us into the wilderness - you think things are bad now? You haven't seen anything nearly as bad as if we were to default on our debt.
    Please elaborate? What in the detail are the consequences of defaulting on sovereign debt, ok so the markets dont want to go near us so we must pay our own way ( baring in mind we have still have a bit of cash), MASSIVE dole cuts and PS cuts.
    We go to the punt ,and inflate like mad, doesnt this not help our exports?

How much does this country rely on imports , thats the other big question.

We have a clean slate. Is there any way we could default on our sovereign debt but still take a loan from IMF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

later10 wrote: »
    Massive inflation, a bleeding of foreign investment (more like bloodletting), we would be a financial leper - far far worse than is the case now or in the projected future. We would bring the euro down, if we weren't kicked out of it by then

It's not an option.

we should be threatening to default , the germans want us to pay for the wreckless lending of german ( and british ) banks to irish banks , we need to tell them that unless we get an interest rate of 1% on our bailout ( loan ) , we will press the nuclear option and watch the eurozone crumble , our one trump card is that we have nothing to loose at this stage as this loan cannot be paid so default is inevitable one way or another under the present terms being offered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

if we had not offered the original guarantee, but instead offered to guarantee any future loans would we not be alright?

I mean surely to god the markets make decisions based on making profits. if we had defaulted on the original bank bonds they would not have treated us as pariahs for long because there would be money to be made by loaning to us. and our ability to pay back would be intact.

instead we guaranteed all the old loans, went up the swanee and the markets didn't believe we would be able to pay back future loans so the yields went up and up, forcing us to the IMF / EU.

so what I'm asking is if the idea that if we defaulted at all we would be shunned not a little naive? if we could pay back loans people would still be loaning to us, regardless of whether we had burned (pre guarantee) bond holders?

Advertisement