Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guitar setup cost??

• 24-11-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone knwo the average cost to set up the action of a guitar. I was recenlty charged 70 for such a job (excluding intonation). Surely thsi kind of job could be acomplished in less than 30 mins?

Way too much if you ask me considering a measuring kit from stewmac is just over 80USD

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/Basic_Setup_Kit.html

Mods: Sorry but I think I may have posted this in wrong section :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

packas wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone knwo the average cost to set up the action of a guitar. I was recenlty charged 70 for such a job (excluding intonation). Surely thsi kind of job could be acomplished in less than 30 mins?

Way too much if you ask me considering a measuring kit from stewmac is just over 80USD

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/Basic_Setup_Kit.html

Mods: Sorry but I think I may have posted this in wrong section :(

Jesus man, just go to youtube and put in "adjusting action on an electric guitar" it's pretty simple to do. No need to be paying someone for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I would have thought that after setting up the action, that intonation adjustment would have to follow. In other words, they should go hand in hand.

I agree with strobe that it is easy to do yourself. There are 100's of sites to show you how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Thanks lads. I agree fully. It's just that he was repairing some paint work on a strat for me & while he was at it I asked him to look over the ESP. I got some shock regarding the price. I wouldn't mind only I asked him up front how much & he said he'd get back to me. I was expecting at most 20 quid to look over the setup. He did the paint work twice & it's still not right. He wanted to charge 215 for that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

last year I brought an old guitar I had into xmusic and it badly needed a 'service', for 50€the guy fixed the tone control (new pot wired in), lowered the action, tightened up the tremolo springs, & strung on new strings. Now the intonation was slightly off, but I was happy for what I got for 50€.

Ever since i have been learning set up tricks from the wealth of info you can find on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

reckon that was a bit dear op considering intonation was out at the end of it but i reckon if you have a good guitar in need of serious adjustment of the action involving neck nut adjusting etc it's worth getting a pro to do it.
    I would do the basic stuff as said above but stop at anything too drastic.

if it's done right once it should last an age if the guitar is looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Has anyone had a guitar serviced by Jimi's Store in the Ballymount Ind Est?
    I'm wondering what they are like, I bought an amp there and they seem like decent lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

groovie wrote: »
    Has anyone had a guitar serviced by Jimi's Store in the Ballymount Ind Est?
    I'm wondering what they are like, I bought an amp there and they seem like decent lads.

I have not had any work done by Jimi's, but a lot of people here seem to have good opinions of it.

Advertisement