Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freddie Mercury Dead 19 Years Today

Options
  • 24-11-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Freddie Mercury died November 24th 1991 aged 45

If anyone would like to share memories of having seen Queen live, or their favourite song or favourite album, then this is the place to do it.

I've posted an interview of him speaking about Michael Jackson, I'd like to think they're both up there, jamming away with Kurt Cobain (who was supposed to have been a big fan) and Cliff Burton. It makes me sad to hear him talking about never wanting to be the kind of person who stays in and is confined to his house.

MTV TV Report on Mercury's Death

A rare interview with Freddie Mercury in which he talks about Michael Jackson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jaysus i feel old!!:eek:

Fantastic frontman and sadly never got to see him perform live in the flesh. It's still amazing to watch footage of their live shows and see the almost mesmorising effect he had on audiences. A friend of mine seen them at Slane in '86 and still reckons it's the best gig he's ever seen,Freddie had them eating from the palm of his hand by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Greatest lead singer Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

He was a hero!! He'd be up there now jammin with Hendrix...

Have to say "breakthru" or "you don't fool me" are what I think are two of their best songs...

The stage was his playground!

Farrokh Bulsara
    R.I.P :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Just watched Wembley '86 on YT. Jaw droppingly class. He really was the best frontman in rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

My second favourite Queen song next to Bohemian Rhapsordy. Of course since Boh Rap is such a well known song and their most famous, I went with this instead. I think it's the second last song Freddie made before his death as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I think it's the second last song Freddie made before his death as well

I'm afraid not, as touching and fitting as it would be, it was actually entirely composed by Brian May - lyrics and music - as from 1985 onwards (pre Live Aid and their possible breakup following a lull in their music sales) Mercury, May, Taylor and Deacon decided to write everything as they had done before but credit it as 'Queen' since they found one of the biggest problems being infighting over who got to put what track where

The last song ever written and recorded by Mercury is a fantastic song called 'Mother Love' and is one of the only songs on 'Made In Heaven' that was, in 1995, a truly original and unheard piece - the title track of the album, for example, was a solo hit for Roger Taylor's band The Cross and 'My Life Has Been Saved' was written by John Deacon and released as a B Side to 'Scandal' from 'The Miracle' album. Sadly, after Mercury co-wrote this song, he made the decision to come off his medication and died two weeks later.

The 2nd last song Mercury wrote, and the last song he composed entirely himself, was 'A Winter's Tale' which was written in Switzerland. It was the first Queen song in which Freddie conducted how his vocals were to sound when the track was produced in advance as opposed to during recording, mindful he had less than a few months to live.

I recommend anyone who has a few euro to spare, even two or three, to buy a cheap copy of 'Made In Heaven' from Amazon.co.uk because it really is an underrated Queen album of beautiful composition.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

God rest Freddie, on a different topic I got a little fascinated lately trying to find out what happened to John Deacon. Very interesting guy. Sorry for going off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm afraid not, as touching and fitting as it would be, it was actually entirely composed by Brian May - lyrics and music - as from 1985 onwards (pre Live Aid and their possible breakup following a lull in their music sales) Mercury, May, Taylor and Deacon decided to write everything as they had done before but credit it as 'Queen' since they found one of the biggest problems being infighting over who got to put what track where

The last song ever written and recorded by Mercury is a fantastic song called 'Mother Love' and is one of the only songs on 'Made In Heaven' that was, in 1995, a truly original and unheard piece - the title track of the album, for example, was a solo hit for Roger Taylor's band The Cross and 'My Life Has Been Saved' was written by John Deacon and released as a B Side to 'Scandal' from 'The Miracle' album. Sadly, after Mercury co-wrote this song, he made the decision to come off his medication and died two weeks later.

The 2nd last song Mercury wrote, and the last song he composed entirely himself, was 'A Winter's Tale' which was written in Switzerland. It was the first Queen song in which Freddie conducted how his vocals were to sound when the track was produced in advance as opposed to during recording, mindful he had less than a few months to live.

I recommend anyone who has a few euro to spare, even two or three, to buy a cheap copy of 'Made In Heaven' from Amazon.co.uk because it really is an underrated Queen album of beautiful composition.

Very informative post.

The vocals on 'mother love' blow me away. Its even more impressive when you realise how unwell he was at that stage.

"A Winter's tale" is easily one of my favourite Christmas songs.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I remember when I bought made in Heaven i though that a Winters tale would go number one for Xmas.
    Beautiful song, still sends shivers..
    Miss ya freddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

A great memory I have is watching the Breakthru video in the summer of 1989 and always smiling at the start of the second verse when Freddie turns to Brian and sings 'Your smile speaks books to me' as he, Brian and John have a little laugh among themselves.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Best frontman ever, absolute legend. Sad that I'll never see him perform.

Always give me tingles, considering how things panned out

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

God rest Freddie, on a different topic I got a little fascinated lately trying to find out what happened to John Deacon. Very interesting guy. Sorry for going off topic!

John last performed with Queen in Paris at a tribute show for Freddie. He was known to have taken Freddie's death the hardest of all members and to have been the closest to him. Having said, John was saying in interviews in 1981 that he didn't expect to still be in a rock band after 10 years, and felt he should go and do something a little more "grown up"

Every year the band's accountant will meet up with the members of the group, this also happened with their recent move from EMI, and discuss what is financially happening. The accountant met with John Deacon in 2010 and as a result he signed some photos for the fan club to give away in a competition.

Brian May has stated that he doesn't speak to John, as much as he would like too, and hasn't seen or heard from John properly in about 10 years. John has 6 children and two of them are rumoured to be fan club members (but nobody will either verify or confirm this assumption). I once interviewed Jackie Smith, head of the fan club, and she told me that she has heard John is very good at golf and that he spends some of his time in Barbados as he has had a house there for many years.

Blind Guardian covered a song in 1992 belonging to John, called 'Spread Your Wings', which was originally written for the 'News of the World' album in 1977 - and there is a photo, although for the life of me I wouldn't know where to begin to look, that shows John at a Blind Guardian concert (posing with the frontman) sometime in 2002....

He also keeps up with the internet a lot, and will probably read what I write about him here, although the last thing I ever heard about him was in 2006 in an article from The Guardian
    But who are all these people emailing Popbitch? Wright is cagey about names, but Jonathan King is one, Nick Beggs, of Kajagoogoo, another. "Eighties pop band people are very good for stories about themselves. I don't know why. Ages ago we asked readers if they'd ever had a **** in a famous person's house, and got an email back from John Deacon from Queen saying yes, he had - only it was usually his own."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm lucky enough to have seen Queen at Slane, to be honest I remember it as something of an anti-climax as expectations were impossibly high following Live Aid, and the weather was atrocious (although the rain did stop for Queen's set, at least in my memory!). There's no doubting that as a frontman, Freddie was one of a kind, though. It's hard to work out where those nineteen years have gone.

Advertisement