Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letters from Galway City Co re supplementary electoral roll

Options
  • 24-11-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

In the current electoral climate, ye may want to keep an eye out for letters from the council:

Mr Just and I were both on the supplementary electoral roll last time around.

Today, we got letters from Galway City Council saying that we're on the roll, but that
    "enquiries made ... on two occasions in connection with compiling the Draft Register have been unable to establish whether you are still resident at this address. ... unless [you reply to] this office within 10 days of this letter, you name will be deleted ... and you will not be eligible to vote from that address."

Now we would argue with the two previous attempts bit - we've filled in and returned forms once before, and we're the sort of folks who would have noticed if we were written to.

But the real kicker is that though the letter is dated the 17th (making "within 10 days" the 27th) - it wasn't post-marked until the 23rd.

That's six days to get from the desk of the officials who prepared them to An Post's mail centre. I wonder how long the return journey will take!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

On a related issue I saw this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=972

so I went there and clicked through to check the register in Galway City which is here:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/ereg/default.aspx

No details are shown for anybody in my house or near neighbours.

The phone number if your details are not correct or present is given as: 091 536453

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Tomorrow is the last day to make sure the details are correct.
    If your details are not correct and you don't contact the council by tomorrow you may possibly be not be eligible to vote

Also be aware that on checktheregister.ie, Galway comes under "Galway county council" & "Galway city council". So if you don't find yourself on one, just check the other to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I usually vote. I just could not be arsed this time, I have zero confidence in any candidates. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

JustMary - the previous attempts made that is referred to in the letter relates to the renumerators calling to your residence rather than writing. They were doing the rounds there a few weeks ago in the city.

The Register on the website is inaccurate regarding recent additions. The new register comes into effect mid Feb.

Got mine sorted today and asked the questions above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Just ring them and they'll confirm it in 10 secs...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

She couldn't find mine but I sent it in a few weeks back.
    She said that they have not processed all of them yet.

Email them at enquiries@galwaycity.ie with your details and they will be able to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I thought I'd confirmed my details by using the link from checktheregister.ie

Less than amused to have checked and see that I'm there, and then that I might get removed anyway!

As for the bollox about enumerators: door-to-door in the inner city area where people live in apartments above commercial premises, and behind security gates? Yeah right, they couldn't get to my front door if they tried for a good bit of each day.

JustMary wrote: »
    As for the bollox about enumerators: door-to-door in the inner city area where people live in apartments above commercial premises, and behind security gates? Yeah right, they couldn't get to my front door if they tried for a good bit of each day.

Actually never thought of that. Sur they can't get into those people so why don't they contact be letter? That would make more sense surely? I'm in an estate now and they called here, but thinking back to the last local election I was in an apartment with security door into complex and nobody called re: register nor did we receive any contact. Didn't get a voting card that year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

My letter was dated for Nov 16th and to be returned in 10 days,i only GOT tge letter the 26th.is it too late to register now??

I'd ring or call into City Hall tomorrow Barry - surely they can't penalise you when the letter was sent out so late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

just rang them,all done and dusted!

Now to vote for anyone except Fianna Fail :D:D

Advertisement