Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent charing 300 Euro for taking house off market?

Options
  • 24-11-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,
    My estate agent in Tuam sent me a bill of 300 Euro for opting out of selling my house.
    He called it a Set Out fee.
    It's been on the market for around a year.

Do I have to pay this?

What are my rights?

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Have you spent money on advertising, signs, brochures? is so yes it is owed.

If there was a buyer found and you refused then you own them their fee.

Is he charging you a fee or an amount for expenses that you incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I assume these are advertising charges, or charges set out in the contract you signed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

€300 is pretty reasonable if it was for brochures, a board, and website advertising.

Check your correspondence with the agency, did they send you a letter at the start detailing the procedure of the sale of the property?

So yes, you do have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

It sounds like advertising fees and €300 isn't a bad fee really. Did they advertise your property including brochures, board and online? If so then that cost is obviously not going to borne by the agent.

However the fact that you don't know what that cost is for means the agent didn't do their job properly imo. It should have been made very clear to you that these costs were going to have to have been paid. Did you ever receive a letter of instruction from the agent outlining the costs involved? If you did i'd try and dig that up.

I would say the agent isn't acting in any way deceptively but you should certainly know why you're paying the fee before you pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

I found the contract and its written on it alright, I guess I should have read it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement