Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Phone Fitting

Options
  • 24-11-2010 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering is it possible to change an old phone to a new standard phone. I want to use a new phone where an old phone is currently situated.

The old phone is circ 1980s and is hard wired to a point which in turn is wired to the main eircom point downstairs, however the connection point which the phone is pluged into is also old and is not the modern standard plug type fitting.

Can I change the fitting (upstairs in semi d) or do I have to run a new wire all the way back to the main point (downstairs)

Hope that makes sense!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Call eircom, they are supposed to provide you with a modern NTU (Network Termination Unit) aka 'socket' free of charge if one is not fitted on your line already.

If these are old dial phones with plugs that look like headphone jacks or electric gituar plugs, then you are looking at a 1960s/70s system, not the 1980s.

Telecom introduced the current modular plugs in the early 1980s and these sockets:

R0010800.jpg

The newer ones are white, but do exactly the same thing and accept the same standard "RJ11" plugs.

rj11-cables.jpg

Modern eircom DSL filter socket (engineers fit these for non-DIY installs e.g. phonewatch etc)

R0010796.JPG

There were various older plugs and sockets used by P&T years ago they're all totally obsolete since the early 1980s.

Advertisement