Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

we love heroin

• 24-11-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

irish have the highest heroin usage in europe with a rate of 7 in every thousand people on the drug? :eek:
    this seems a little high

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1111/1224283092990.html
    THE REPUBLIC’S heroin problem is worse than in any EU country for which figures are available – and it also has the longest waiting lists for treatment for those addicted to the drug, a Europe-wide report has revealed.
    The research shows an average of seven people in every 1,000 in the Republic are defined as problem opiate, or heroin, users.
    This is the worst record of the 15 European states for which heroin-user data was available. The number of heroin users is more than twice as high as the majority of the other countries.
    The 2010 annual report for the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction also indicates the extent of the recession-related collapse of the Republic’s illicit cocaine trade.
    The number of seizures of the drug has fallen by two-thirds since its peak. In 2007 there were 1,749 seizures, but last year that fell to 635 seizures.
    Despite this, the Republic is listed among a small group of EU states – along with the UK, Italy, Denmark and Spain – seen as having a serious cocaine problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

FatherLen wrote: »
    this seems a little high

It's more than a little high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

irish have the highest heroin usage in europe with a rate of 7 in every thousand people on the drug? :eek:
    this seems a little high

;)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Its the new Atkins sure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Heroin is my wife and my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Thats roughly 28,000 people.

I thought I saw a while ago that some Irish politician claimed there was only 15,000 drug users in Ireland, and that included people that smoked weed. I can't remember where I saw it though.

What can I say, we love getting whacked out of our gord. Gear, spliff, glue, tabs and a pint of whatever you're having yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In 2007 there were 1,749 seizures, but last year that fell to 635 seizures.
    I'm sure the epileptics of Ireland are happy to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

anyone find a spoon ?

biko wrote: »
    I'm sure the epileptics of Ireland are happy to hear this.

What do you call an epileptic in a bush?

Russell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

There's a great documentary about heroin use in Scotland here. You may have to be in the UK to view it in my link, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere.

It's quite easy to estimate the number of junkies in a given city and the amount of heroin a typical addict uses in a day. When you compare this against the amount of heroin seized, it turns out that about 98% of heroin use goes undetected.

My personal feeling is more or less the view presented in the documentary - by outlawing heroin use, the government is turning what is effectively a medical problem into a criminal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Should this not be in the Dublin forum?

• Advertisement

Ah hear now.........Oh wait. Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ha unfortunatley i fear it is nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yeah but in all fairness dubs put it in their tea. Heroin tea & cocaine cakes.

See that's what I thought. But the article confuses me by comparing 'The Republic' (Dublin.....or Cork depending on where you're from!) to the rest of EU which are countries!

Bad writing or am I picking it up wrong?

You decide...................eh........actually don't.

no we dont..............................;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

If it's being moved to the Dublin thread it needs to be renamed 'Herradin' or 'The Herradin'

so they'll know what it is.

Dubs are well suited to junkieism. They are already skinny and short and ashen faced from playing the megadrive all day.

woah whats with the dublin bashing?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

For Class A drugs;

Automatic life sentences for drug users unless they reveal their supplier and testify against them. If they do this, then the sentence should be reduced to treatment and weekly drug tests afterwards, with a prison sentence for re-using.

Automatic life sentences for suppliers, reduced to 5 years if they reveal their supplier and testify against them (if possible).

Death penalty for manufacturers/growers/importers.

For other illegal drugs, treatment and random testing. Re-using = significant fine. Re-using again = prison sentence.

That'll put a stop to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If it's being moved to the Dublin thread it needs to be renamed 'Herradin' or 'The Herradin'

so they'll know what it is.

Dubs are well suited to junkieism. They are already skinny and short and ashen faced from playing the megadrive all day.

Yeah, strutting around in their X-Works jeans and denim jackets, with their boom boxes on their shoulders playing their MC Mc Hammer. Raggamuffins, the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

For Class A drugs;

Automatic life sentences for drug users unless they reveal their supplier and testify against them. If they do this, then the sentence should be reduced to treatment and weekly drug tests afterwards, with a prison sentence for re-using.

Automatic life sentences for suppliers, reduced to 5 years if they reveal their supplier and testify against them (if possible).

For other illegal drugs, treatment and random testing. Re-using = significant fine. Re-using again = prison sentence.

[sarcasm]Genius! Are you like, some kind of science doctor?[/sacasm]

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    Yeah, strutting around in their X-Works jeans and denim jackets, with their boom boxes on their shoulders playing their MC Mc Hammer. Raggamuffins, the lot of them.

With their undercuts and Maximum Rave tapes.

Scrotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Thats roughly 28,000 people.

I thought I saw a while ago that some Irish politician claimed there was only 15,000 drug users in Ireland, and that included people that smoked weed. I can't remember where I saw it though.

I'm guessing they also forgot to count drinkers in those figures? But then that's right, taxable drugs don't count.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

For Class A drugs;

Incredibly niave, won't work at all. I've been saying this for years. Longer, harsher sentences will not stop people from using, selling or distributing drugs. You could give people the death penalty for smoking a spliff, it wouldn't matter, people will still find a way to get out of their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't know what's worse, the drug users in Ireland, or the people who spend their time complaining about the drug users without lifting a finger

For Class A drugs;

Automatic Double life sentences for drug users unless they reveal their supplier and testify against them. If they do this, then the sentence should be reduced to tough treatment and bi-weekly drug tests afterwards, with a tough prison sentence for re-using.

Automatic double life sentences for suppliers, reduced to 5 years if they reveal their supplier and testify against them (if possible).

Double Death penalty for manufacturers/growers/importers.

For other illegal drugs, tough treatment and super random testing. Re-using = highly significant fine. Re-using again = tough prison sentence.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Incredibly niave, won't work at all. I've been saying this for years. Longer, harsher sentences will not stop people from using, selling or distributing drugs. You could give people the death penalty for smoking a spliff, it wouldn't matter, people will still find a way to get out of their heads.

I've improved on his original idea. I think it would work now.

Actually, those are just rasins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

The problem with heroin is it's terribly moreish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Some states in the US have very harsh sentences for drug related offences and it is still no deterrent.

There's something like over 1 million people in jail in the US at the moment - now obviously not all of those people are in there for "drug crimes" but a huge number would be. Imagine if we imposed the same sentences here, our prison population would explode and even then you'd still be able to get Heroin in prison ffs.

For Class A drugs;

F*ck it, death sentences all round!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

With are stupid laws this is no surprise.

karlog wrote: »
    With are stupid laws this is no surprise.
    what?

what?

With. They're stupid laws.

For Class A drugs;

strobe wrote: »
    [sarcasm]Genius! Are you like, some kind of science doctor?[/sacasm]

It's not about tougher sentences. If anything it would greatly reduce the number of people in prisons. It's about giving one hell of an incentive for drug users and suppliers to give up their sources and cooperate fully. The only way to remove these drugs is to cut off the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

For Class A drugs;

Under your proposed system, I will receive life imprisonment if I do not condemn the golf course in which I picked my mushrooms to the same fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think these storeys really take into account Ireland's size. These numbers may look worse than they actually are, lets say to set up a drug dealing system it takes 1000 people, to import, deal and use the drug in enough quantity to support a black market. That 1000 people is going to seem like a larger group in a small population. We're also a closer community of people in Ireland so it's easier for these things to spread.

• Advertisement

Some states in the US have very harsh sentences for drug related offences and it is still no deterrent.

There's something like over 1 million people in jail in the US at the moment - now obviously not all of those people are in there for "drug crimes" but a huge number would be. Imagine if we imposed the same sentences here, our prison population would explode and even then you'd still be able to get Heroin in prison ffs.

It's very true that harsh sentences alone have little effect. That's pretty obvious. The US justice system is all about punishment and very little about rehabilitation or tackling the source of issues. It's a great example of what not to do.

For drugs, it's the importers/growers/manufacturers that need to be removed from society. Users are secondary (although they contribute a lot to other crimes).

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Under your proposed system, I will receive life imprisonment if I do not condemn the golf course in which I picked my mushrooms to the same fate.

Only if you sell to/supply others.

Only if you sell to/supply others.
    Do you honestly think someone who knocks out a few pills or shrooms deserves life for their sins?

Under our current system there is no distinction between mushrooms, MDMA and heroin.

Life imprisonment for class A drug use?

Are you for real?

Seriously?

Something wrong up in the aul' noggin' there?

Ah go on, admit it, you're taking the piss, aren't you?

Irish 'Tough on Crime' and Mammies Association
    Ruling your own body and mind since evolution's last great failure (whenever that was)

Life imprisonment for class A drug use?

Are you for real?

Seriously?

Something wrong up in the aul' noggin' there?

Ah go on, admit it, you're taking the piss, aren't you?

Irish 'Tough on Crime' and Mammies Association
    Ruling your own body and mind since evolution's last great failure (whenever that was)
    Man, if you could see the way marijuana cigarettes have ravaged my community you'd be singing a different tune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

We sprinkle it on our Sugar Smacks

It's not about tougher sentences. If anything it would greatly reduce the number of people in prisons. It's about giving one hell of an incentive for drug users and suppliers to give up their sources and cooperate fully. The only way to remove these drugs is to cut off the source.

You have to catch them first. We're not really very good at that, you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The people I hate aren't the dealers, aren't the users, aren't the police... the people I really hate are the people who feel they have been "enlightened" (mainly young people) and say that they should be legalized.... ANY of those drugs.

The people who say it should be legalized would be responsible for horrendous problems in the future and an unbelievable amount of pain and human suffering. Those people are a disgrace.

As far as I'm concerned, taking heroin, marajuana or any drugs like that will always be a crime to me. A crime against human kind, never mind what those fools who tell us they're our authority and know what's best say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

As far as I'm concerned, taking heroin, marajuana or any drugs like that will always be a crime to me. A crime against human kind, never mind what those fools who tell us they're our authority and know what's best say.

Standard response:

Would you consider going down to the pub and drinking 5 or 6 pints to be a 'crime against human kind'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The people I hate aren't the dealers, aren't the users, aren't the police... the people I really hate are the people who feel they have been "enlightened" (mainly young people) and say that they should be legalized.... ANY of those drugs.

The people who say it should be legalized would be responsible for horrendous problems in the future and an unbelievable amount of pain and human suffering. Those people are a disgrace.

Haha, very good.

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Standard response:

Would you consider going down to the pub and drinking 5 or 6 pints to be a 'crime against human kind'?

Any illegal drug use lines the pockets of very very dangerous, often murderous folk, can't be compared to having a few legal pints in your local, where in many cases the owner and staff may well be friends of yours who appreciate your custom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Standard response:

I don't drink, I dont like the taste or how I feel after it. I would consider it a crime against humankind if you put people in danger because of it, but alcohol is a bit like a food in some respects so taken in moderation I wouldn't say so.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Any illegal drug use lines the pockets of very very dangerous, often murderous folk, can't be compared to having a few legal pints in your local, where in many cases the owner and staff may well be friends of yours who appreciate your custom.
    You're contributing to the industry that keeps our A&E good and lively every weekend night.

Don't even make me go on about coffee and bananas again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Standard response:

No its not but When you go for a few days without pints because your skint you just man (women) up and get on with it, whereas if you got for a few hours (nevermind a few days) without Heroin You'll more than likely Mug some poor random person or go robbing to get their fix, theres the difference!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

chin_grin wrote: »
    What do you call an epileptic in a bush?

Russell.

What do you call an epileptic in a wheelchair ?

A transformer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement