Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornady Superformance

Options
  • 24-11-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

I know we had a thread on this when it was first released, but has anyone seen or used it since then? Reviews all seem positive and the actual improvements seem very interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I know we had a thread on this when it was first released, but has anyone seen or used it since then? Reviews all seem positive and the actual improvements seem very interesting.

i would love to get my hands on some of it.
    from what i have read about it its considerably better than standard rounds.
    i have bin watching out for it but no one has it yet:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

What these :D:D:D
    Just for that don't know of them. Turn on your sound

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's them alright Clive. I don't buy the no increase in felt recoil lark and don't really care as it'd only be for the .25-06, which is a kitten anyway, but the extra velocity does sound very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i'd love to give them a go. i asked sean harding if he'd be getting any in and he said it would depend on availability, so i'd say it won't be cheap when it does get here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

patrick carley in wexford has them advertised on www.irishguntrader.ie for 35 a pox for 95g 243 so he might have them in other calibres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Has anyone tried the 178gr super performance 308 win round that Hornady makes?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Has anyone tried the 178gr super performance 308 win round that Hornady makes?:)
    I've had very good results with these
    http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-155-gr-FPD/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Thanks Tackle

Looks like it gives good velocities as well according to Hornady,and not to bad bc either.435.
    What price are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Looks like these are loaded with 155gr AMax heads as they are the only 30cal head in 155gr that Hornaday have - SST's are 150gr. Can you confirm???

Hornaday AMax

308 Win 155 gr TAP® FPD™
    308tap.jpgammo-tap-fpd-cutaway.jpg

AMax heads
    30312.jpgbullets-match-cutaway.jpg

clivej wrote: »
    Looks like these are loaded with 155gr AMax heads as they are the only 30cal head in 155gr that Hornaday have - SST's are 150gr. Can you confirm???

Hornaday AMax

308 Win 155 gr TAP® FPD™
    308tap.jpgammo-tap-fpd-cutaway.jpg

AMax heads
    30312.jpgbullets-match-cutaway.jpg

The Taps I have are 155hrain , from memory I paid €45 for them a box 20.
    I bought 200 of them 2 years ago for stalking, I have 6 rounds left of them, I could only get 168 grains so I went the HPS route after that.

I've not used SST's to date so I can't comment on them, I did get great groups out of the 155Tap's, better than the 125grain HPS :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Ive tried the superformance in .300wm, fantastic velocity but not great grouping at 100 yrds.. might try them at further ranges in the future.. Quite heavy recoil too...

if you have a 243 that is.
    i just left mick dougan here in killarney and he has 5 boxes of 95gr superformance for anyone out there intrested.

and good news for the rest of us. he will be getting other caliber superformance inc .308 for me:D:D:D. he will txt me as soon as he has it in;)

Good to hear. May be able to get my mitts on some yet so.

Good to hear. May be able to get my mitts on some yet so.

same here i'm mad to try some. i let you know as soon as he has it in:D

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    same here i'm mad to try some. i let you know as soon as he has it in:D

Find out what grain weight the .308's are Paulo!!

Find out what grain weight the .308's are Paulo!!

i'll have to wait and see what he gets in, but as soon as i do i'll let you know

Was looking at the Superformance stuff for the .270 and .30-06 as well as my .25 (Which will end up as one of them), and it takes two absolutely brilliant rounds and makes them sing. The 130gr .270 runs out at 3200 fps, for a trajectory 1.2" high at 100 and 5.7" low at 300 yards. That's just awesome from a big game round. The 150gr .30-06 is 1.4" high at 100 and 6.4" low at 300, absolutely brilliant. The classic 180gr bullet gets a new lease of life as a flat shooter, at 2820 fps and 1.8" high at 100, 7.6" low at 300, and with a muzzle energy of 3178 ft/lbs. Crushing stuff. Really gives a great old cartridge a new lease of life. The .270 numbers are just frighteningly impressive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.james1984

these are a serious round in 95gr sst in .243. i have never found anything to come close to them as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

.james1984 wrote: »
    these are a serious round in 95gr sst in .243. i have never found anything to come close to them as yet.

Well lad, this thread is 2 years old, if you look at the date and time of the last post you'll see that.
    But you're right, the 95 gr sst superformance are a devastating round

Advertisement