Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick local history - Water Rats?

• 24-11-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember where the greatest opposition to this was - as in which estates? If ye can remember any details at all about the dates or period it went on for, or who may have been involved I'd appreciate the insight.

[In case it is rememberd by another name - and assuming I'm remembering correctly - the 'water rats' were contracted to enforce council water rates, and were vigorously opposed by local residents. I'm trying to get newspaper articles related to it and would appreciate anything that might narrow it down]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

efla wrote: »
    Anyone remember where the greatest opposition to this was - as in which estates? If ye can remember any details at all about the dates or period it went on for, or who may have been involved I'd appreciate the insight.

[In case it is rememberd by another name - and assuming I'm remembering correctly - the 'water rats' were contracted to enforce council water rates, and were vigorously opposed by local residents. I'm trying to get newspaper articles related to it and would appreciate anything that might narrow it down]

I was involved in a fairly large protest in Hillview, about 13 or 14 years ago I suppose maybe more. I was on a half-day from school and came home to see some Dublin lads in a white van turning off our neighbours water and then cementing over the shore so it couldn't be turned back on. I called my Dad who came home, a few of the other neighbours came out and confronted the workers and during it all the keys to the van were "borrowed" so they couldn't leave.

Pretty soon half of Hillview was outside our house and things turned a little violent with the Dublin lads having to lock themselves in the van while it was kicked by the crowd. The Gardaí came along and started arresting people. I was only in my teens at the time and one tried to drag me into a Paddy Wagon, hurting my arm in the process, even though I was just standing outside my house and not doing anything. I managed to wriggle away though.

I'll never forget the crowds there. One of the local papers even took a picture from our bedroom window of the scene.

I might be confusing it with another incident but we marched on the Garda station as well demanding the release of those arrested. There were banners, speeches on the steps, and those arrested were released so moral victory!

Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

There were a few trapped in a van in Lismore Park as well. The rte news had some coverage of this. I think it could have been around 1989/1990 although I could be wrong on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

longshanks wrote: »
    There were a few trapped in a van in Lismore Park as well. The rte news had some coverage of this. I think it could have been around 1989/1990 although I could be wrong on that one.

Yes that sounds right, my parents were living in Lismore park at the time and they mentioned it a few times. Thanks for the information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hero in a wheelchair caught them in lismore park. I got me face on today/tonight! Love a good mob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

These estates had a lot of workers for the glass factory. As best I remember the protests were largely arranged by trade unionists from the glass factory. They had the protest infrastructure, if you know what I mean.

If you are doing research you could do worse than contact the UNITE (formerly ATGWU) branch in Waterford, or Waterford Council of Trade Unions. Also maybe contact the City Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I was involved in a fairly large protest in Hillview, about 13 or 14 years ago I suppose maybe more. I was on a half-day from school and came home to see some Dublin lads in a white van turning off our neighbours water and then cementing over the shore so it couldn't be turned back on. I called my Dad who came home, a few of the other neighbours came out and confronted the workers and during it all the keys to the van were "borrowed" so they couldn't leave.

Pretty soon half of Hillview was outside our house and things turned a little violent with the Dublin lads having to lock themselves in the van while it was kicked by the crowd. The Gardaí came along and started arresting people. I was only in my teens at the time and one tried to drag me into a Paddy Wagon, hurting my arm in the process, even though I was just standing outside my house and not doing anything. I managed to wriggle away though.

I'll never forget the crowds there. One of the local papers even took a picture from our bedroom window of the scene.

I might be confusing it with another incident but we marched on the Garda station as well demanding the release of those arrested. There were banners, speeches on the steps, and those arrested were released so moral victory!

Mad stuff.

I remember getting a note for school the next day because I wasn't able to do my homework because of all the noise and the people in and out of the house for tea and sandwiches etc!

We couldn't even get dropped up to the house sure because of the crowds. Had to be left halfway up Hawthorn Drive and walk the rest of the way. Was mad stuff altogether.

And you're right, we did end up down at the Garda station that night. The van got some doing. Tires were slashed and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

dayshah wrote: »
    These estates had a lot of workers for the glass factory. As best I remember the protests were largely arranged by trade unionists from the glass factory. They had the protest infrastructure, if you know what I mean.

If you are doing research you could do worse than contact the UNITE (formerly ATGWU) branch in Waterford, or Waterford Council of Trade Unions. Also maybe contact the City Council.

I remember that day very well.
    They were stuck inside that van for hours!
    Even the Gardai wouldn't or more likely couldn't disperse the crowd.
    I can't remember the guy you're talking about.
    He was on the union.
    A great day & I'll hope we all won't accept this nonsense.
    I'm for one with a previous poster!!! Porridge!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I remember getting a note for school the next day because I wasn't able to do my homework because of all the noise and the people in and out of the house for tea and sandwiches etc!

We couldn't even get dropped up to the house sure because of the crowds. Had to be left halfway up Hawthorn Drive and walk the rest of the way. Was mad stuff altogether.

And you're right, we did end up down at the Garda station that night. The van got some doing. Tires were slashed and that.
    Just saw some of the pictures. Sounds like you had heaps of fun :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

AdMMM wrote: »

do show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »

Seriously? Where'd you find pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are these pictures public?