Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about advertising revenue

• 24-11-2010 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

How does it work on boards? Do companies place their ads randomly over the whole site or do they specifically place them on certain forums based on traffic?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Depends on the ad space you refer to.

The long banner type on the top right and the square one under the posts down on the bottom right are google ads,some are exclusively boards.ie adverts, so perhaps they share the space - its essentially like the tv screen behind the counter in you local credit union, google pay dev for the space and then google place localised or specific adverts there.

Im not sure, but pretty certain that the adverts differ depending on the user. The fact that my missus and i agr getting married and online looking at alot of associated products, i see alot of wedding ads been shown in the boxes.. coinsidence? Perhaps.. perhaps is adsence.

If you adverts are referring to adopting little thai boys.. i suggest you change your browsing habits :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Some of the ads are Google based, some are third party *through* google and some are direct sales by the team in HQ. Its a little from column A etc...

Sometimes they want their ads restricted to (say) the motors forum, other times they want what is called "run of site" which means across everywhere. Sometimes they dont want their ad shown to the same person more then 5 times other times they dont care.

Google Adsense does some clever things by matching your ads to your interests and also to the content on the page its about to be served on...

Does that answer your question?

DeV.

Advertisement