Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esb arrears

Options
  • 24-11-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

anyone having problems with paying their arrears..i keep paying it every week and every week they keep threatening to cut us off..they really a shower of wanke...country is bad enough without these looking for every penny we have in the run up to xmas..any help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're struggling, call MABS and they'll come to an agreement on a payment plan between them and you.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

There is three month waiting list to get in the door with MABS. Communicating with them is the best solution, keep paying something also as that will be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

a friend of mine was in arrears with esb, he changed to bord gais energy and his bills are almost half, not sure if he had to clear his bill before hand but definitely worth looking into if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You don't have to clear your esb account first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 alanhiggy

really even if its couple 100 euro

• Advertisement

Yep. I know someone who had a grand of arrears and switched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 alanhiggy

ya but they will still chase u for that money tho

They will but they can't cut you off for it once you switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bord Gais only save about 8.5% and insist on Direct Debit. It's not possible to halve your bill by switching.

We stick with ESB as we pay cash or credit card or bank transfer (bank or post office) and have a day or two flexibility. There is no flexibility with Bord Gais and it's inherently dishonest and inefficient the Regulator creating this "artificial" competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

watty wrote: »
    Bord Gais only save about 8.5% and insist on Direct Debit. It's not possible to halve your bill by switching.

We stick with ESB as we pay cash or credit card or bank transfer (bank or post office) and have a day or two flexibility. There is no flexibility with Bord Gais and it's inherently dishonest and inefficient the Regulator creating this "artificial" competition.

im with bord gais for elec and gas, and they do not insist on a Direct debit.

had those airtricity muppets around a few times, and they tried to tell me that they "airtricity" dont insist on direct debit , muppets of the highest order!

• Advertisement

ingen wrote: »
    im with bord gais for elec and gas, and they do not insist on a Direct debit.

had those airtricity muppets around a few times, and they tried to tell me that they "airtricity" dont insist on direct debit , muppets of the highest order!

They don't insist on direct debit, I pay them by laser every month.

Did you pay €400 upfront?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

alanhiggy wrote: »
    anyone having problems with paying their arrears..i keep paying it every week and every week they keep threatening to cut us off..they really a shower of wanke...country is bad enough without these looking for every penny we have in the run up to xmas..any help would be great
    So you use a service, yet the company who provides you with the service are a "shower of wanke" for wanting payment in full for services rendered? Would you accept a payment of €5 in full settlement of a debt of €10?

Haddockman wrote: »
    Did you pay €400 upfront?

No, I didn't.

But good news for the OP
    The ESB, Bord Gáis and Airtricity are to suspend disconnections during the current bad weather.

Speaking on RTE’s Morning Ireland programme Brian Montayne, ESB Corporate Communications manager said customers in arrears would not face disconnections during the current cold spell and over the Christmas holiday period.

"It was a very easy decision to make. It is not our intention to put any further pressure on customers at this difficult time," he said. The suspension will remain in place "until conditions improve".

There were more than 500 disconnections during the month of November

Meanwhile, the energy regulator confirmed yesterday that charges for reconnecting electricity or gas are to be halved to ease the hardship faced by thousands of householders unable to pay their energy bills.

The measure, which will take effect from January for 12 months, will cut almost €100 off the current cost of reconnection to electricity and gas supplies. The Commission for Energy Regulation has decided to go ahead with the change, despite opposition from the utility companies.

At present, it costs an electricity customer €86 plus VAT to have their supply disconnected, and €88 to be reconnected.

Both charges must be paid before supply is restored. The charge for disconnection and reconnection of gas supply is €61.74.

Advertisement