Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to move or rent in Donegal

Options
  • 24-11-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Greetings,
    We are an age 55+ couple delving into seeing the feasibility of moving to Donegal. I am hoping this forum may give some direction and start that process of finding out places suited for us (and us suited for Donegal). Ultimately would love to find someone our age to skype with and really get some questions answered and a better feel. We like rural, rugged with some space. I play the pennywhistle and want to spend remaining years completely involved in traditional music, culture, learning language and helping to keep Irish tradition alive and thriving. Have been recommended to post at this forum. I do have links to organizations and such in Donegal to get some information but nothing like having more one on one banter back and forth. Again, hoping to find someone to spend time answering questions with (skype?).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

If you're into Irish music and language, the Gweedore area sounds like it would fit the bill. The landscape is also pretty rugged and space wouldnt be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

If you're into Irish music and language, the Gweedore area sounds like it would fit the bill. The landscape is also pretty rugged and space wouldnt be a problem.
    Same here in the South West area (Kilcar/Carrick/Glen area).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anne55

Thanks much for replies so far. We are narrowing it down to northwest so Gweedore sounds like a place I will look into more. If anyone living up in that area, and towns nearby, give a holler.

anne55 wrote: »
    Thanks much for replies so far. We are narrowing it down to northwest so Gweedore sounds like a place I will look into more. If anyone living up in that area, and towns nearby, give a holler.
    I live in the area. If thats in use to you.

Definitely would say living in the area would be of use to me! I understand the area to be speaking first in Irish language and English second. We would not be outsiders, so to speak, not knowing the language at the time but learning as we lived there? Would be acceptable, yes? Gweedore had that huge storm last year, was it?, and rivers went over banks and lots of problems. Was that more in the town itself or on outskirts where we would want to find a cottage or something? I am only getting that info from the media so who knows how correct that is.

• Advertisement

The area is bilingual with Irish being the primary language spoken. However, there are many people like myself who only have basic Irish and its never a problem. The flooding was confined to only a few areas and it was pretty much an isolated incident. The area isnt prone to flooding.

Again, thank you, scientific1982. Such prompt replies too! It would be nice to banter more and sounds like you might be on board with me in answering questions. Any chance we could not fill up this forum with all of it, or is that what we should do? No problem here if that is what we want to do. How does one start standard email communication without sticking one's email address in the forum here? I see a link under my login info and "welcome" entitled "Private messages." I have to admit stumbling around the FAQs and help, did not help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

anne55 wrote: »
    How does one start standard email communication without sticking one's email address in the forum here? I see a link under my login info and "welcome" entitled "Private messages."
    First of all welcome to the forum and feel free to contribute to any topic you my be interested in or perhaps start a new thread if you wish on anything else.

Its not advisable to post your email address in any public forum for obvious reasons. If you wish to contact anyone here privately then just click on their user name and a drop down menu appears from which you select "Send a private message to ???"

No one else can see that message only you and the person receiving it.

Thank you muffler. I will give that a test on you. Just simple confirmation test.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just got your test message and replied :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

anne55

I have sent you a PM with some info.

Advertisement