Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers v Manchester United Match Thread 24/11/10

• 24-11-2010 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

rangers_football_club.jpg V manchester-united-crest.jpg

Venue: Ibrox
    Kick-Off: 7.45pm
    Channel/s: RTÉ 2/Sky Sports(?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I reckon 1 nil United, Rangers won't be able to sit back like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Anybody any opinions on the line up for this one?

With Rooney starting I wouldnt like to see him up front on his own until he is back firing on all cylinders.

Lineup I would like to see:

VDS
    Raf---Smalling--Evans--Evra
    Nani--Carrick--Scholes--Obertan
    Berbs---Rooney

With the way Rangers have played more open and attacking football I can see us taking advantage and scoring a couple, United 2-0 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Looking at the table and the fixture list, imo Rangers should go for this. They've nothing to lose

Rooney-tov tonight, I hope.

Raf, Nani and Evra to be rested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Rangers have to win. Valencia on the balance of things are going to beat Bursaspor. So I'd imagine Walter will send out a team to go for it. He has nothing to lose. Europa League is in the bag already (Well nearly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

This is what I would like to see:

VDS

O'Shea Smalling Evans Fabio

Nani Scholes Carrick Giggs

Berbatov Rooney

Then Hernandez on for Berba in the 65th after he score 2 goals
    Obertan on for giggs in 70th
    Bebe on for nani in 70th

United to win 4-0
    Berba x2
    Rooney x1
    Hernandez x1

Nani with 2 assists

Am I being a bit optimistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lads I really dont think we will be going that attack minded. If, and its a huge if based on what Fergies does in europe, we play with 4 across the middle then surely park will play rather than obertan...

Hope we do play an attack minded lineup but i would doubt it. Can see 5 in the middle especially as our first choice and most experienced CB's are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Baz you never let us down on the match threads :) ..
    2-1 Rooney and smalling . Might have a little wager on smalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I hope we field our strongest team, we didn't in the last tie and paid the price for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

2-0 United. Rangers are a glorified mid to lower Championship team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Hopefully OShea wont get too bad of recepton if he plays.

2 nil for utd

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

2 nil for utd
    He has never played for Celtic so should be fine

Hope Hernandez doesn't do his pre Match prayer he will be abused all night .

We will see.... I havent watched much SPL lately. Do they still sing ****e like the famine song?

We will see.... I havent watched much SPL lately. Do they still sing ****e like the famine song?
    I don't watch the SPL but have cousins from Glasgow and they say nothing much has changed(On the pitch/in the stands Sectarianism in society apparently much better in the last decade but that's for another thread :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

He launched himself into a tackle on a Rangers player out by the sideline a few years back and upended him. Name escapes me. They weren't very happy about it. :D

Edit: Actually I remember himself and Rio came to our United supporters club 10th anniversary and I congratulated him on it, he was very pleased with it alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

2 nil for utd

Doubt it tbh. Only a bigoted minority can't tell the difference between Irish and the Tims. Saying that, I hope United stuff because of said meatheads in their support. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

if fergie wanted to pissssssssss off the locals he mite start with
    PIG in goal as they dont like polish keepers
    O shea and Gibbo as persons who play for R O I are not liked
    and with gibbo comin from derry.
    then get chico to say a little prayer on the centre circle.
    i reckon that would be enough to get the crowd goin lol.

back on topic rangers are also missin a few and we should get a 2-0 win.

There was a huge Police force presence in the city today they seem to be expecting trouble which I thought was surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Doubt it tbh. Only a bigoted minority can't tell the difference between Irish and the Tims. Saying that, I hope United stuff because of said meatheads in their support. :D

Chicarito has been asked not to bless himself if he comes onto the pitch. Says it all really.

Chicarito has been asked not to bless himself if he comes onto the pitch. Says it all really.
    Source? That cant be right.

• Advertisement

There was a huge Police force presence in the city today they seem to be expecting trouble which I thought was surprising.

The M.I.B's have promised to make a load of trouble in response for the UEFA cup final riot.

Daniel Taylor tweeted this
    " Early word is #mufc team: VDS; O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Evra; Nani, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs; Berbatov, Rooney"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Rubbish you read that in a tabloid didn't you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

United have a history of wrecking Glasgow and having kafuffle with Rangers, and with added dislike after what happened in Macnhester the UEFA cup final, there's bound to be some shít.
    Rangers were held in the DW Stadium before the game in Old Trafford to get on busses organised by the Police.

Source? That cant be right.
    http://www.scotzine.com/2010/11/is-sir-alex-ferguson-pandering-to-the-religious-bigots-of-rangers-fc/

It's not 100%, but going on previous history of players blessing themselves infront of rangers fans it wouldn't suprise me if Ferguson had a word in his ear.

http://www.scotzine.com/2010/11/is-sir-alex-ferguson-pandering-to-the-religious-bigots-of-rangers-fc/

It's not 100%, but going on previous history of players blessing themselves infront of rangers fans it wouldn't suprise me if Ferguson had a word in his ear.

LOL scotzine oh a truly unbiased source
    Many Rangers Players have blessed themselves going onto the park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Daniel Taylor tweeted this
    " Early word is #mufc team: VDS; O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Evra; Nani, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs; Berbatov, Rooney"

If that's true its pretty much the team I expected. I kind of expected Ando or Park instead of Berba but it seems like he will play 2 up top by the way he has been speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

LOL scotzine oh a truly unbiased source
    Many Rangers Players have blessed themselves going onto the park

Ye but they bless themselves in the protestant language :p

Rangers Players have blessed themselves going onto the park

So do you reckon Hernandez will kneel in the centre circle before the match and pray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Wow, if that actually is the team im surprised but delighted at a clear intent to attack.

ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The M.I.B's have promised to make a load of trouble in response for the UEFA cup final riot.

Thats just a cover up, they are after Gabriel Obertan.

files.php?file=Men_in_Black_414750218.jpg

So do you reckon Hernandez will kneel in the centre circle before the match and pray?

Yup if he wishes do so why not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

United XI - VDS; O'Shea, Evans, Smalling, Fabio; Nani, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs; Rooney, Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

United XI - VDS; O'Shea, Evans, Smalling, Fabio; Nani, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs; Rooney, Berbatov.

Lovely! Rangers can't park the bus tonight so hopefully we'll do some damage!

Just afte reading that...
    The issue mirrors that of Polish keeper Artur Boruc, who blessed himself before the start of the first half and again before the start of the second half. But in 2006, Boruc was on the receiving end of a Police caution after Strathclyde Police claimed that his actions was tantamount to incitment of an Old Firm crowd. Specifically aiming a ‘gesticulation’ at Rangers fans. That said gesticulation was Boruc blessing himself, an act that he did in every half of every game that he has played both in Scotland and in his native Poland. So would Strathclyde Police caution Hernandez over his gesticulations?
    Thats pretty shocking.

Its this type of muppetry which ruins the game, on both sides. Its bloody football. Its just stupid. Any club should ban any fan who partakes in sectarianism.

• Advertisement

5-1-3-1 even though they need a result!

Thats pretty shocking.

Its this type of muppetry which ruins the game, on both sides. Its bloody football. Its just stupid. Any club should ban any fan who partakes in sectarianism.

The only problem it wasn't the gesticulation of blessing himself that caused the bother it was his impression of a cocktail shaker immediately after it
    Not that it was right to complain anyway so what if a player has a go at fans they put up with abuse all the time from the fans

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    This is what I would like to see:

VDS

O'Shea Smalling Evans Fabio

Nani Scholes Carrick Giggs

Berbatov Rooney

I hate when I'm right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

screenshot02z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

delighted with that line-up.hopefully we get an early goal mite stop rangers parking the bus.It cant be as bad as at OT game rangers had no ambition that nite at all.

• Advertisement

I thought Bebe would have been on the bench since he didn't play last night!

How well is Beattie playing for rangers these days? I always liked him

How well is Beattie playing for rangers these days? I always liked him

He isn't been injured most of the time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Good to see Fabio getting a game. He had a good game last week for the reserves. Looking forward to seeing him playing tonight.

He isn't been injured most of the time :(
    Let me guess, ankle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Anyone else having problems getting the Rte stream to work?

Let me guess, ankle?

Nope Hip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I thought Bebe would have been on the bench since he didn't play last night!

he played for the Reserves on thursday. Scored two absolute crackers. Surprised he's not on the bench myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Thats pretty shocking.

Aside from which, in the UK people are allowed be whatever religion they like, and express that. I won't get into sectarianism myself, so i won't say anything about the strathclyde police. But I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Dunphy " Look at golfers, they`re paid millions, they dont cheat" :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement