Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers v Manchester United Match Thread 24/11/10

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Meh, as much as Rangers parked the bus it's not as if they didn't try to score :confused: Miller had a brilliant opportunity at the end of the first half and if Rangers had gone on to win 1-0 we would all be saying how it was a resilient performance.

If Rangers had have gone for it last night they would have been spanked. Trying to beat United on set pieces and counters was the only way they could have won so they did it. Going for it attackingly just because they have nothing to lose is ludicrious if it's not going to suit the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Eirebear wrote: »
    I guess none of you watched any of Rangers 09/10 CL campaign so i'll give you a quick rundown.

After recieving a lot of bad press and criticism for their defensive tactics which took them to the UEFA Cup Final (And saw them lose out to Lyon in the last game of the CL Group stages) Walter Smith decided to try a more attacking approach in the following years Champions League group a group which was considered to be one of the best we could possibly get.

This tactic saw us lose 13 goals in 6 games, 10 of them at home with 4-1 defeats to Sevilla and Urziceni. Finishing bottom of the group with 2 points

Skip forward a season and you have Rangers in a far tougher group, finish third with 4 (Possibly 7) points and having gained draws with Valencia and Man Utd.

We'd all love to play open attacking football, however i think its prety obvious what works for Rangers at this point in time.

Im with you on that and obviously it has worked thus far in this CL campaign, but where there is a possibility of staying in the CL, however slim, and no possibility of going out of the UEFA Cup, what is there to lose by attacking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

VW 1 wrote: »
    what is there to lose by attacking?

5, maybe 6-0? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kryogen wrote: »
    inept, submissive, stand off-ish, limited ability---Rangers midfield last night

Bye

can you explain why the majority of united fans on here, who shouted for mc's head on more than one occasion previously had him as MOTM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Eirebear wrote: »
    I guess none of you watched any of Rangers 09/10 CL campaign so i'll give you a quick rundown.

After recieving a lot of bad press and criticism for their defensive tactics which took them to the UEFA Cup Final (And saw them lose out to Lyon in the last game of the CL Group stages) Walter Smith decided to try a more attacking approach in the following years Champions League group a group which was considered to be one of the best we could possibly get.

This tactic saw us lose 13 goals in 6 games, 10 of them at home with 4-1 defeats to Sevilla and Urziceni. Finishing bottom of the group with 2 points

Skip forward a season and you have Rangers in a far tougher group, finish third with 4 (Possibly 7) points and having gained draws with Valencia and Man Utd.

We'd all love to play open attacking football, however i think its prety obvious what works for Rangers at this point in time.

Thats all fine and perfectly understandable but it doesn't explain the approach in this particular game. They were almost certainly guaranteed 3rd and a place in the EL (indeed the frankly awful Bursaspor were being easily beaten in very short time in their game meaning 3rd was already in the bag for ye). A win would have given ye a chance of staying in the CL. Why play so negatively in this particular instance when there was literally nothing to lose and everything to gain? It makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Trilla wrote: »
    can you explain why the majority of united fans on here, who shouted for mc's head on more than one occasion previously had him as MOTM?

football fans are fickle people........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Dunphy was on fire last night.

"It's a violation of his spirit" "Wayne Rooney's spirt, his soul has been violated by the media"

"Carrick plays like duck, walks like a duck, either way he's a duck"

Then Giles going on about Golf. F**king hell ya just couldnt make that sh!t up.

Looked like a terrible game from the highlights glad I watched Barca instead of this pish match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

flahavaj wrote: »
    Thats all fine and perfectly understandable but it doesn't explain the approach in this particular game. They were almost certainly guaranteed 3rd and a place in the EL (indeed the frankly awful Bursaspor were being easily beaten in very short time in their game meaning 3rd was already in the bag for ye). A win would have given ye a chance of staying in the CL. Why play so negatively in this particular instance when there was literally nothing to lose and everything to gain? It makes no sense.

Because we simply dont have the players to set up for attacking teams like that, perversely our very best chance of getting a win last night was to soak up the pressure and hope that chances like the one that fell to Miller in the first half are taken.

If Miller had chosen to pass it across the box at that point then we could easily have went in 1-0 up at half time, all of a sudden your looking at a different game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

dahat wrote: »

Or some people will look for any excuse.

I know that whenever i play a decent game of football i'm happy with that. I don't go, well the opposition were **** so... I know when i'm watching soccer I apply that logic to it.

You can only beat what's in front of you.

Carrick did the simple stuff very well tonight. He was much better than Scholes, who i think had an off night simply because he sets the bar so high for himself. Scholes is my favourite playerbut last night i can see and appreciate the performance Carrick put in. He tackled hard, tracked back, blocked and passed the ball at a high standard. I think he misplaced one pass all night. Scholes's passing was off for most of the first half which is strange as he had plenty of time and space. Giggs had a poor game.

Also i'd find it so hard to support such any team that has given up before they even take the pitch like rangers. Going into a game you need to win to stay in the competition and you set up like they did is a disgrace. It's the biggest insult you can give to a supporter in my eyes. J'surrender, j'surrender before a ball is even kicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

dahat wrote: »
    ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

ROONEY,ROONEYa self confessed Celt.GIRFUY the peeeeeple.;)

Advertisement