Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mabs

Options
  • 24-11-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi people is there anyone that is with MABS.they are a money advice company that puts all your debt into 1 single repayment..any info would be great.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What you described is a loan consolidation company which AFAIK is not what MABS is about.

"MABS is a national, free, confidential and independent service for people in debt or in danger of getting into debt"

They do help some people obtain Credit Union loans though

some reading here

http://www.mabs.ie/publications/leaflets/about_mabs_booklet.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

I went into MABS 2 months ago.
    **This was advised by both creditors (Ulster Bank and Credit Union) I am owing money to.
    The MABS guy did help me with a budgeting plan which he then sent to the Ulster Bank and the Credit Union, and instructed me to start paying both creditors the amounts he came up with. He also promised me he would act on my behalf to take the stress off my back. Now, after 2 months of a very unusual silence, the Ulster Bank sends me a letter in which they do not acknowledge receipt of MABS's letter and threaten to take me to Court if I don't pay the arrears by December 13th.
    So I phoned the MABS guy and he told me he got the same reply from the UB and a similar letter from the Credit Union in which the Credit Union said they weren't going to deal with MABS at all - please note this is after the CU themselves referred me to MABS! So now the MABS guy says I have to contact the creditors myself and sort out the mess! He will not negotiate a better plan with them, he says he will not make any changes to the plan because that would be admitting there was something wrong with the plan he sent. This inflexibility does not make sense for someone who on my 1st meeting said he would act on my behalf etc... And he did say he would deal with the creditors as I live in a rural area and they're not as busy as they would be otherwise.
    I am wondering is there an agency that actually deals/negotiates with creditors... As I said, this MABS guy did tell me he would when I first met him but now he is telling me to contact them myself, which is exactly the hassle and stress I was trying to avoid due to my health problems! Is this the way MABS really works? If it was difficult for me to meet my repayments in the past, now with about 2 months arrears and the UB threatening to take me to Court, I do not know how I will be able to cope! For me, going to MABS actually made things worse . Could someone please advise? Is there any REAL HELP available out there?
    Thanks, RM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

If any of your creditors took you to court and you showed the court a plan was made by MABS and you had ke[t tp the plan, the judge would tell the creditors where to stick it. - And all costs would probably be awarded against them including yours.

The first thing you must do is start making the mabs suggested payments and keep to them, so that it shows you kept your side of the agreement.

Whenever you get letters from the creditors just reply saying that your are repaying them in the format suggested by mabs until such time your personal circumstance change.

If you don't make any attempt at payment, then the tables will turn totally against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

91011 wrote: »
    If any of your creditors took you to court and you showed the court a plan was made by MABS and you had ke[t tp the plan, the judge would tell the creditors where to stick it. - And all costs would probably be awarded against them including yours.

The first thing you must do is start making the mabs suggested payments and keep to them, so that it shows you kept your side of the agreement.

Whenever you get letters from the creditors just reply saying that your are repaying them in the format suggested by mabs until such time your personal circumstance change.

If you don't make any attempt at payment, then the tables will turn totally against you.
    I agree, but i would go as far as telling the bank and Credit union that you are not currently in a position to repay more than suggested in the plan tailored to your finances by MABS.

Advertisement