Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowboard Size

• 24-11-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im 5' 9", about 15 and a half stone with size 8 foot. What size snowboard should I get? All the online calculators give me different sizes so looking for the definitive answer if possible!
    I've skied for 3 holidays and snowboarded for 1 (and really preferred it); So not an absolute beginner but maybe pushing intermediate.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

It depends on a number of factors. The type of riding you do and obviously your weight, and to a lesser extent, height. If you're looking to do piste riding then a longer board is needed than park. Flex of the board comes into it too. beginner boards are usually more flexy, and thus forgiving. There's no point on a beginner buying a super stiff board, as they won't be able to load the edge enough or flex it enough.

Every board you look at (if it's new or from a shop) will have a sticker on the back with the size guide for that particular model. Just pick the one you fit into. If you're looking at 2nd hand boards, then try look at a few new ones just to get a feel for what's a suitable size.

For a reference point, I'm 6' and just less than 14 stone, and ride a burton jussi 159. I use it doing everything from powder to messing in the park. It floats well enough in the powder, and is light enough for me to handle nicely. It's an all mountain board, so a dedicated powder board would be longer and wider to get more float, and a park board would be shorter for spinning etc.

There's a whole other issue of camber profiles, shape, and flex profiles, and new technology in the boards, which could leave you more confused than you started off. Basically, I would be inclined to recommend maybe getting a versatile do-anything board for your first one, and as you develop a liking (and a budget) for a certain style (speed or tricks!) choose your next board based on this.

Every board's recommended length will be different. Google your ass off when buying and you'll find a sizing guide for that model.

EDIT: size 8 foot, you won't need wide boards so don't worry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

thanks for that. will have another look around. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

I'm 5'9 and a little heavier than you. When I did my research a couple of years back the conclusion was to go for a slightly bigger board than standard guide for your height. I have a 160 Burton at the mo.

This calculator ain't bad: http://www.frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TrueBlue1000

A very simple guide is for the board to be the same length as the height between your nose and chin. You only need to look at the other factors as you become more experienced.
    e.g. Giddyup's 160cm board = 5'3", probably about his mouth height.

ps. Anybody know where I can buy a cheapo second hand board near Glasnevin? Looking at all the snow here and it's killing me I can't go out on the hill with the kids!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Anybody know roughly how much for a beginners snow board? Do many outdoor shops have them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement